Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

poorly beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by campbellkath, May 6, 2011.

1. campbellkath

campbellkath PetForums Newbie

Molly is 3 yrs old Beagle up to 3 week ago she was very active. Started yelping for no reason then would not jump up. About 2 week ago she started to have pain episodes lasting about 1 hour she becomes very distressed, pants and wanders about with tail tucked between her legs obviously in pain. once it is over she comes around. We have been to Vets 4/5 times she has had Blood Test and xrays all were clear. She has completed 2 courses of broad spectrum antibiotics. A couple of days ago she had 2 days pain free and was nearly back to normal. Woke up this morning and its started again. Any ideas because the Vet has no idea!!
    5 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.
    Forget to mention that she won't bark as it seems to hurt. She has been neutered. She is eating and drinking normally and her bowels seem to be working ok too.
    :(

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Sorry - I have no ideas from your description but didn't want to read and run. Hope Molly feels better soon!

All I could suggest is going to a different vets for a 2nd opinion - see if a different point of view would shed any light on the situation?

Also maybe document everything your dog does for a week to see if there are any patterns to the behaviour that you could work out. Write down what they've eaten, their toileting habits, what toys they've played with etc.

The only other idea I have is your dogs teeth/gums/mouth? If everything else is normal perhaps they've got a cut in their mouth, a sore tooth or something like that that's causing pain...

3. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

How is Molly today?

I had a thought last night - that I wondered whether the vet has seen Molly DURING a pain episode? I know it can be expensive making an emergency or out of hours appointment, but actually seeing the problem in person might help the vet?

Sorry if you've already done this, as I said, I was thinking about Molly last night and it just occurred to me how useful it would be to see the problem in person.

4. I am half wondering if she has hurt her back, Nouskha05 's Luna has had a problem perhaps it may be worth pm'ing her
    Sorry of little hel here - the only thing I can say is that the reason she is tucking her tail in is because she is feeling pain, but you don't need me to tell you that.

Oh one more thing - when was she spayed?

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

6. campbellkath

Thank you for all your advise. I have done a lot of research on the web and Molly most definately has 'Beagle Pain Syndrome' She has had a great weekend just about back to her normal self then at 6pm she has had another episode. I have booked an appointment at the vet for tuesday and printed off all the info on BPS in case he has not come across it before. Hopefully he will give Molly the steroids she needs without having to do a spinal tap to confirm. I will keep you all updated. thank you

7. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Good Luck :)

8. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

What about the possibility of an MRI scan?

9. campbellkath

Will see what vet suggests luckily we have her insured

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

yep as soon as i read your post, i immediately thought SRM.

hope it goes well at the vet. do let us know how you get on.

11. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Keep us updated - and I hope you don't mind me saying: thanks for your thread! You've made me aware of something that I never knew about.

12. campbellkath

Our Vet has never heard of SRM but we took all the literature with us. Has prescriped 1 weeks supply of steroids but cant start taking them while Thursday until Metacam is out of her system. Have to go back next week and if she has shown improvement will continue with steroid treatment at lower dosage. Thank you for all your good wishes for Molly (she is my baby I have had dogs before but she really pulled on my heartstrings from day 1) I will keep you updated on her progress

13. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Molly (and you) that she reacts well to the treatment and that this cracks it for you.

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

it might be worth (more for peace of mind i guess) to seek a second opinion, and see if you can find a vet that knows a bit more about the condition.

keep us updated though :)

15. campbellkath

We gave molly her first dose of Prednidale at 6pm last night. I am very happy :D to announce that she is back ! I forgot what a little monkey she is.
    I had not heard her bark in 3 weeks she is running around playing and up to mischief. They are right about the side effects she is drinking loads and peeing lots too. We only had on little accident in the house but I don't care lots of newspaper on the floor when we go to bed. I am still worried all the time and trying not to let her over do it but I hope we are getting there one step at a time still only short walks for a while I think it will take me a long time to relax (its difficult not to spoil her but I don't want her to think she can get away with anything )

16. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Couldn't resist posting to tell you how happy I am for you that Molly is recovering well :D Spoil her with love and cuddles rather than letting her 'get away' with anything

Give her a cuddle from me and Charlie
    xx

17. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Really pleased Molly seems to be getting better now, Harvey our beagle has also been ill over the past few weeks and I know how worrying it is. He also has just started on some Prednidale tablets along with some other tablets as following loads of tests, x-rays etc., he has got a heart murmur and we are still awaiting results for some other tests. He is really lethargic and after even a short walk just literally collapses on the floor exhausted, so we are hoping that once these tablets get into his system he might start to get some energy back. When he's awake he does seem to be brighter so hoping this continues.

It isn't nice when our furbabies are not well. Hugs to Molly xx

18. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

thats great the tablets are working and bringing molly back to her usual self, hope she keeps well :)

19. campbellkath

Molly has been on tablets 1 week now and no reoccurance of srm although she is still not herself very sluggish and not interested in other dogs (totally out of character) but I am putting this down to the medication. Back to the vets tommorow for a new prescription hopefully lowering the dose.

20. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Hi, how is Molly doing now? Our Min Pin had seizures last week and they think that its related to Meningitis. He's due to start steroids on Tuesday so I've been really interested in your thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice