Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poorly baby having to stay overnight at vets :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Char8607, May 30, 2017.

1. Char8607

Char8607 Mum to Storm (b. 2010) and Luna (b.2017)

I haven't been on for a while so apologises that I'm only coming on here to moan/share bad news but I know lots of people on here will understand the worry of a poorly pet in ways others don't.

We noticed yesterday that Luna was quieter than usual; she simply slept all day and despite attempts to wake her up and play she would simply have a fuss then go back to sleep. Then about 7pm I noticed she was limping on her front left paw and we realised she hadn't eaten or drink for a few hours which is unlike her as she loves her food and goes nuts for her kitten milk.

We rang the emergency vet who advised the not eating/drinking may be because of pain if she had hurt her paw so to keep an eye on her. Given it was bank holiday fees we decided not to take her in but tried to get her to eat and began syringing liquid into her.

Mum took her to the vets this morning as neither I or Rich could get time off work and they've kept her in saying that she has an infection/high temp/is very dehydrated. As a separate issue they can't feel anything immediately wrong with her paw but will investigate when she's better.

I feel so awful, I feel we should have taken her last night and am so worried that I'm going to lose her. She is so tiny and normally one of the most feisty cats I know but she looked so poorly earlier and now I can't even see her because of being kept in.

So worried she won't come home; I tend to panic anyway but after losing Cloud in December I'm even more upset about this.

Sorry for the moaning guys just needed to tell someone x

2. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear your little girl isn't well. I can imagine how worried you are. Wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery

Char8607 likes this.
  3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Awww what a worry for you, I can understand your panic for you love Luna so much. You have her in the best place my love, where they can monitor her and find out the cause of infection. Can you think of anything else that may have happened over few days prior other than her paw, has she had a fall maybe? Does she go outdoors?

Why is it always over bank holidays!

Stay strong for Luna.

Sending lots of healing vibes and hugs to you (((())))

Char8607 likes this.
  4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Best wishes to little Luna.

Char8607 likes this.
  5. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Sending huge purrey vibes to Luna. Hopefully the antibiotics and fluids will kick in and she will be back to her usual self. Its always a difficult call when these things happen when the vets are shut but she's in the best place now.

Char8607 likes this.
  6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Sorry poor Luna is so unwell. Its impossible to know the difference between them just being off colour and actually having an infection as they hide it so well, I had this once with Toppy and he didn't appear to be that poorly until I took him to the vets who said he had a high temperature. Lets hope with medication Luna will soon pick up. Sending healing vibes that she'll be well again very soon xx

Char8607 likes this.
  7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Poor Luna but she is in the best place now.

Have they put her on a drip?

Hopefully the ABs will kick in quickly and start to fight the infection and then she will feel a bit better xx

Char8607 likes this.
  8. Char8607

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and well wishes. Can't think where she might have picked it up from; I've commented to Rich how hot she has felt the past few days but given the weather and her being stuck in a hot house I just thought that was the reason. But come to think of it when she was at the vets Friday for her jabs I noticed she left sweaty paw marks on the table....

Have just rung the vets she's still on drip and AB; her temp is 40.5°C and hasn't gone down despite the drip etc which is a little concerning. They've tried to take bloods but apparently she was a little feisty (that's my girl!) so they need to try again in a bit.

Fingers crossed and thanks again everyone xx

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I was going to ask you if she has recently had any vaccinations, now I see that she has. The most likely source of her being unwell is a reaction to one of the vaccine components I'd have thought. There have been cases on the forum in the past of kittens reacting badly to vaccine and becoming ill with high fever.

I am not saying this is definitely the cause in Luna's case, it could be something else. But it's certainly a possibility, especially as she was limping and limping is a known reaction to the Feline Calicivirus vaccine.

moggie14 and Char8607 like this.
  10. Char8607

I did wonder about that @chillminx as I know with humans they can become unwell but she seemed her usual bouncy self until yesterday lunch then went downhill pretty quickly (although I know our little furry friends try their best to hide it so she had probably felt unwell for a while).

I know you may not know this but if it is a reaction to one of the components does that usually have long term implications?

X

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I don't think it does have long term implications AFAIK, in the sense of any permanent damage. But there would be the risk of the reaction happening when she was vaccinated again.

It seems to be the leukhaemia vaccine that is statistically most likely to cause a bad reaction (though the calicivirus vaccine can cause short term limping).

After reading of a number of cases on the forum over the years of kitties reacting badly to the leukhaemia vaccine I decided to just have my cats vaccinated with the core vaccines only. These are essential for protection and also meet the basic requirements of admission to boarding Catteries. So that is what I do now, none of them is given the leukaemia vaccine.

If Luna has reacted badly to the vaccine you could consider her having a different type of vaccine next time, e.g. the Recombinant vaccine. It is I believe regarded as safer, i.e. less chance of a reaction. My vet does not stock it so if I wanted it for my cats I would have to find another vet for the vaccinations. I would do so in a heartbeat if any of them ever had a bad reaction but so far (touch wood) they have all been OK receiving core vaccines with live vaccine.

Might be useful to have a read of what Icat Care says about vaccinations.

https://icatcare.org/advice/vaccinating-your-cat

Char8607 likes this.
  12. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

What a worry for you. Sending Luna heaps of positive vibes for a speedy recovery, antibiotics can take a good 24 hours to kick in so hopefully she'll pick up soon. Remember they can bounce back as quickly as they go down x

Char8607 likes this.
  13. Char8607

Thank you @chillminx I will read that when I'm done at work.

Thank you @Matrod heres hoping that's the case.

Vets have rung to update they've managed to take some blood and nothing sinister has come bsck so far although they are awaiting some more results. Her temperature remains high despite fluids and AB but she has at least had something to eat so I'm guessing that's a positive.

Thank you once again everyone x

chillminx, Matrod and Gwen9244 like this.
  14. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Oh poor little Luna, sorry to read this. Fingers crossed she will fight this, she is defo in the right place and getting all she needs to recover. Topping up the PF vibes and a big hug for you xx

Char8607 likes this.
  15. Char8607

moggie14 likes this.
  16. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Poor Luna. I hope she is feeling better soon. Keeping my fingers crossed she'll be home tomorrow with you. xxx

Char8607 likes this.
  17. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

Hope luna gets well soon .sorry not been on much not well my self .over the sweaty paws at the vets my last cat smokey used to get so worked up she had paws like that leaving marks on the table so it could be that .not saying it is just wanted to tell you. even brambles last time i took her she started panting and was sweating bad as soon as she was home she was fine .luna is in the best place

Char8607 likes this.
  18. Char8607

Thank you @PetloverJo and @Brambles the cat; I hope that the paws were a separate issue she's always seemed quite a hot kitten anyway so you may be right as she was quite anxious being there x

19. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Hope she will be a lot better today and home soon xx

Char8607 likes this.
  20. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I've just caught up, hope to hear that she's on the mend when you speak to the vets today!

Char8607 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice