Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor Oscar

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sophiex, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar has a luxating patella (right leg). :( I took him for his yearly booster jab and commented that he's been doing the 'limp and yelp' thing more frequently. I'm taking him back in 3 months and the vet is recommending surgery. Fortunately, it will be covered by pet insurance, not that it makes any difference, I'd sell my shoes if I had to. :eek:

When I was choosing a breeder, I was not as informed as I am now on health testing. That said, I wouldn't change Oscar for all the tea in china. I'm just sad and concerned. Has anyone been through this with their dogs and do you have any advice for a worried dog mum please? Thank you. :)

2. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear your poor Oscar has a problem with Luxating patella, my Yorkie has it on both her back legs. I did the same thing I took her to the vet for a vaccine and when they checked her over they said she had Bilateral Luxating Patellas. I was told she could see a consultant, but i am reluctant for her to have surgery yet unless it was absolutely neccessary as they told me some times it does not work and then she would have to have it done again.
    I know of a couple of dogs that have had it done, one it worked very well and the other had to have it done again.

3. rona

rona Guest

Check your insurance for hydrotherapy cover, as this can help with recovery after an operation like this.
    When does your insurance need renewing? Most are restricting the amount of hydro they pay for

4. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I'm sorry your dog has it too. :( How old is she? The vet was good and said he won't rush into straight away but it's the better option, especially while he's young. I want to do my research and be as well informed as I can.

I do have hydrotherapy cover. I need to check but I remember seeing it. I've just renewed it a couple of weeks ago. I imagine it's quite limited cover.

5. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I've just looked and I have £750 per year for complimentary treatments with a £75 excess.

6. Pam/Holly

She is 20 months old. glad your vet is a good one that doesn't just see £ signs.
    I am told the operation costs about £1500.
    I had one before that had it in one leg and she lived happily with it without surgery until I lost her aged 16 years.

#6 Pam/Holly, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Does she suffer a lot of pain? Apart from when he jumps and hurts his leg, Oscars runs and plays normally and is a very happy dog. I'm reluctant to put him through an operation that would need a lot of rehab BUT the vet did say he may develop arthritis if it's left untreated.
    I'm wondering if there is any non-surgical treatment that can help Oscar. Obviously, I'll take the advice of my vet, I trust him 100 percent but I like to be well informed. ;)

8. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this - hope all is OK xxx

9. Pam/Holly

No she doesn't have pain unless she jumps and lands a bit awkward which thankfully she doesn't do often. She races around the garden like a maniac some days and then she will often skip a few times till it corrects itself. Yes my vet says she will most likely have arthritis in the joints later in life.

I used to have a vet that I took my last one to that I trusted completely and she was the one that put her to sleep when the time came. I have since moved and now have a new vet that I am not totally sure about. If you find any information that would help could you please let me know.

10. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hi Sopiex,i have recently lost my 16 yr old jack russell(due to kidney failure) who had slipping patella in both knees diagnosed when she was 9 months.I was told by my vet at the time to keep her slim,fit and on supplements to prevent arthritis which we did and she led a very active life without any surgery only showing signs of stiffness during the last year of her life for which she had accupuncture.Like you i was very worried when she was diagnosed but with hindsight i'm pleased we didn't have the surgery.Hope this puts your mind at rest.

11. Pam/Holly

Hi sorry to hear you lost your Jack Russell, I lost my 16 year old Yorkshire Terrier 4 yrs ago and as I said earlier she had it in one leg and was fine without surgery. She had a bit of stiffness in the final year or so. My Yorkshire Terrier now has it in both legs and as you say it is a bit worrying when you first find out but I am not happy at her having surgery unless it is really needed. She only weighs just over 2kgs so really small.

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Poor Oscar :( Give him a kiss from me. Hope he's ok and not in any pain or anything.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice