Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor old dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I saw a couple of girls (20s) walking along the pavement fairly fast and chatting together. 50 yards behind them was an old collie cross limping and struggling along. They never once looked back or slowed down. They disappeared round a bend and the poor old dog tried to run a few steps but had to stop. I wish I had called out to them but by the time I realised there was a dog they were more or less out of sight. What is wrong with people.

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I did once tell someone about that sort of thing. I said would you drag your Granny round like that, I got a sharp reply but the next time I saw him he was walking slowly with his dog.

Calvine, DaisyBluebell, rona and 3 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So upsetting to see such disregard for an animal :(

I flagged a woman running round the back field who was being followed by a dog with a very bad limp …. the dog was clearly in pain as it kept stopping and struggling on …. It was baking hot too :(

I worded it as “did she realise her dog was struggling with the limp and heat”?

She said it was OK she’s had the limp since a puppy, but I reiterated that she looks clearly in pain and suffering in the heat. It was an Old English Sheepdog (possibly cross).

I’m happy to say, I’ve only seen her out running now without the dog …. and walking the dog in normal clothes.

Recently, I spotted them and the dog’s limp was much much worse and the dog looks poorly …. so she probably wasn’t OK with that limp after all.

I do tend to speak first and think after, which I’m sure is annoying for others, but I can’t help speaking out if I see something and have the opportunity.

margy, Blitz, DaisyBluebell and 3 others like this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think it's worth the mouthful of abuse when you politely point out these sort of things if the owner then goes home and thinks about what you've said.

margy, Blitz, DaisyBluebell and 3 others like this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I will always say, if I'm in a position to do so. If I make just one dogs life easier then it's worth it.

Amazes me how many just don't seem to notice their dogs getting old or infirm

margy, Lurcherlad, J. Dawson and 3 others like this.
  6. foxo

foxo PetForums Newbie

I have to say that some people seem to ignore the signs of ageing in their dogs BUT i feel we should always speak out because if it only helps ONE dog it is worth a verbal onslaught Things cannot change if we do not address the issue

teddylion, margy, Lurcherlad and 4 others like this.
  7. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

There's a chap we sometimes see walking his elderly lab along the footpath that crosses the end of our cul-de-sac and the next road (also a cul-de-sac). The lab walks very, very slowly, and is also going blind.

His owner strides along merrily with the dog off-lead, expecting that the lab will catch up with him when they come to the end of the footpath, which at both ends is at a main road. The poor dog has no idea where it is half the time, and on more than one occasion I've galumphed down one of the cul-de-sacs to retrieve it before it manages to get itself in trouble.

Every time I've explained the problem, but the owner obviously thinks I'm over-reacting and tells me the dog will be fine.

margy, Lurcherlad, rona and 1 other person like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have to say I have found myself not walking at my usual pace because Candy has slowed down. I noticed she had to bunny hop up some steep steps on a walk yesterday.

margy, Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My lovely Sox is only coming up 7 but he has slowed down and prefers to mooch so mooch we do. He still occasionally zooms or chases Loki around but his pace is slower than mine so I adapt.

Nicola234, Happy Paws2, margy and 2 others like this.
  10. foxo

foxo PetForums Newbie

It is heartwarming to read how you are adapting to the needs of your dog He is lucky to have such an understanding owner ENJOY THOSE MOOCHES TOGETHER

Blitz, Happy Paws2 and Boxer123 like this.
  11. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I really hate to see people dragging old dogs, with the dog behind at the end of the lead struggling to keep up.
    I'm naturally a fast walker so it was really frustrating at first to walk so slowly, and have to stop whilst they sniff so they didnt have to try to run to catch up with me, but I got used to it and accepted that was our new walking speed.
    There's no way I'd be marching off leaving them behind, or drag them along at a pace they can't manage.
    I really don't know where peoples heads are at when they do things like that.

StormyThai, Blitz, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  12. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I can remember walking at a snail's pace with my old girls, and in the last year of her life Suzie flatley refused to come on our walks, so it was just me and Belle. I would never dream of making her come with us.
    An aside, while stopped at the traffic lights in town yesterday I noticed a man standing outside a shop in full sun( the other side of the street was in the shade) with a dog who looked really uncomfortable and was panting. I imagine he was waiting for someone in the shop but surely, leave your dog at home in this hot weather instead of dragging it around the shops. Wish I'd had the courage to shout something at him.

Happy Paws2, Blitz and Boxer123 like this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Not just old ones.
    There's a woman who walks the canal path across from the end of my garden, every day, same times. She walks fast, and keeps up the same pace regardless of what the dog wants to sniff or do. She used to bring a golden retriever who got old, and she didn't slow down. Now it's a cockerpoo, on the end of an extending lead, who gets yanked along if it doesn't keep pace. It doesn't look like either of them are enjoying being out together. It's more like a route march.

margy and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

And then they leave a trail of poo for people to step in.

15. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

It's not just dogs people ignore. Once I found a toddler on my road crying. The mother was walking home from taking the kids to school and hadn't noticed the kid hadn't followed her down the path to the park. When I went down the path she was stood 100 yards away talking to her mates.

A few months later she did the same, but my friend who found the kid had a few strong words and she hasn't done it again!

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. tyg'smum

I found myself in a similar situation just before lockdown. I was walking down to the shops of the main road, the traffic was heavy, and there at the lights was a bare-footed toddler, frighteningly close to the kerb, pointing at the lorries and chortling to himself. There was no-one with him.

I took his hand and tried to find out where he lived. He pointed vaguely in the direction of a nearby house, which had the front door open. (It used to have a fence and a gate, but these had been removed sometime before). We walked up to the house, and I rang the bell (I certainly wasn't just going to usher him through the door!). I could hear voices coming from the rear of the house, but no-one came to the door. I rang again and started to shout "Excuse me!", not loud enough to startle the infant. Still no response. I could see full shopping bags in the hall and a buggy in the hall. Suddenly a row erupted in the house - "Ere! Werriz 'e? Werrz 'e gone? Wot you done?" - I kept my finger on the bell. A woman appeared, grabbed the child, clipped him round the ear and said accusingly "Wot you doin' wiv 'im? Werrrz 'e bin?"

I explained that he'd been down by the lights alone and that I'd brought him home because it was very dangerous . She shouted at him "fer goin' off wiv a stranger" and slammed the door in my face.

17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Poor kid :(

18. tyg'smum

I haven't seen either of them since - I trust he's survived.

19. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

On a similar child theme.
    Some years ago we stopped for a few night at a campsite which was only for adults (over 18). Got chatting to the campsite owners and they told us that they used to be a family site, but got so fed up with children running amok chasing the animals on the farm and seemingly out of control. One day the wife looked out of the kitchen window of the farmhouse and saw a toddler trotting up the track and heading for the main road. She rushed out and caught him just before he got to the road and took him back to the camping area spending ages trying to find who he belonged to. The mother hadn’t even noticed he had been missing and blamed it on the campsite owners because the play area wasn’t in the middle of the camping area where they could watch children without having to move.

That was when they decided to go adults only.

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd have been in touch with social services.

margy and Blitz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice