Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Poor Micheie.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by winterrose, Dec 7, 2017.

1. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

Today, I took Micheie on her first walk in a week (or so).

I saw a group of boys as I left my road. I let one have a fuss. However, as I turned to walk Micheie away, he grabbed Micheie by her harness and (using only her harness) held her about a metre above ground. He was laughing in her face, calling her weird names and it appeared as if he was trying to take her. The only thing that I could do to get her away was to quickly jerk her lead. As Micheie tumbled to the ground, he spat on her, whilst the others just watched him.

I couldn't go home without passing the boys, so head to the nearest dog friendly place I could think of - our local groomers. They were so kind to us, and made sure to give Micheie lots of fuss (and let her see her favourite dog, who belongs to them) as I sorted myself out.

Micheie is physically fine, aside from being a little bit bruised where her harness straps were.

I had a mental breakdown as soon as I got to my nan's. She phoned the police for me and because I was so distressed, they had to ask whether I needed ambulance assistance.

She was lovely to the police when they came, although did grumble at me when I unintentionally touched the skin near her shoulder, which is bruised.

This incident has left me with a velcro dog, scared when I bend down to fuss her, and scatters when she thinks that I'll touch her head.

Just as I manage to get her over her reactivity, new problems arise.

I was looking forward to getting back into a walking routine now that my shoulder's better. Unfortunately, I think she'd find a harness too uncomfortable to walk in for several days. I'll see how it goes.

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

Holy sh*t!
    What are the police going to do about it?

I turn into a slathering, teeth-bared evil monster if I'm placed in confrontational situations. I think you did well to stay calm and get out.

A couple of days off won't hurt her. Might be worth going back to basics and making sure you get loads of engagement and focus from her by asking for basic obedience work and giving plenty of rewards and encouragement to allow her to build a positive association with walks again.

Poor you.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, how horrific , and unbelievable that he gained her trust first ! Poor you and poor Michaie , what a good idea to take her into the groomers .
    How can kids be so cruel ! I hope the police find them and prosecute.
    Take care of yourself , you must both be so traumatised , a couple of duvet days on the cards I think !

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Was it you who had problems with a group of boys in the street before when walking a neighbour's dog?? If so was it the same boys?

5. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Dear God, have you got a friend who's got a big dog you can walk round with n find the little buggers? Bet they wouldn't try anything then, bloody .little bully boy.
    How old were these boys? What did the police say?
    How are you both now?

6. winterrose

The police said that anything can happen - it could be a public order or a trip to the youth court.

I'll definitely do a lot of work with her; she loves training!

Micheie seems fine now, however it took her a while to settle in her crate because she didn't like the fact that I wasn't with her.

The police have been amazing! Definitely spending the rest of the week being a bit lazy with her.

Yep, two of them were the same. They didn't ask to stroke my dog, they just came up to her and started stroking her.

I may have one or two friends with big dogs, although there's a possibility that he's armed (with a catapult) so I wouldn't try confrontation.

These boys are about my age - they're in my year at school. One of them is in the majority of my classes.

Micheie's a bit bruised, but no lasting damage. I'll keep her well-rested with lots of mental stimulation for the next few days.

I've possibly re-injured my shoulder with all of this stress. Great.

7. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

That's awful!! What a horrible boy :(

8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Aww you poor thing :(

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. Such cowards to bully an animal like that. Like @Katalyst I would not have been able to keep my cool - I see red if anyone does anything to my animals.

Hope this doesn't set you back too much x

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What a dreadful thing to happen!

I hope it doesn't have any long term effects on her - poor baby! :(

Awful for you too.

I hope the Police do something to the little runt :mad:

It might be worth reporting the incident to your school too so they can keep an eye on him - he's obviously a bully.

A few quiet days at home will be best, I agree.

fernlady and Boxer123 like this.
  10. winterrose

I did flip off a bit, whilst running off. I wasn't in the right mindset to properly check that she was OK, so ran off to the groomers instead.

11. winterrose

School will be told - they need to be warned that the incident has left me especially anxious.

12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a thought but it might be worth taking Micheie to the vet for a check over.
    If the police prosecute these boys it would be useful to have veterinary report and some photos of the bruising too if you can get any.

rona, JRB123, fernlady and 7 others like this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

How awful. I hope these nasty bullies get their due.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure about this advice, it could lead to confrontations and counter-reporting of intimidation.
    ETA - I do think a walking companion when possible is a good idea to deter bullies, but not necessarily with a big dog. ;)

#14 SusieRainbow, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Bloody hell what horrible boys, poor micheie and poor you. Hope they get their due :mad:. Good on your nan for reporting them to police, did they say what they are going to Do? May be worth staying in for the next couple days so you can both calm down, and work on making the harness positive for micheie again. If you are nervous on walks after this then could you walk in different areas to avoid them or get someone to walk with You, maybe an older friend or family member? They may be less likely to approach you if you have back up, so to speak ;). Hope your both ok now *hugs*

16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The school should take action this is a bullying incident make sure it is followed up. Nasty boys hope your ok. Do you know anyone who could drive you somewhere different to walk her.

DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Oh my word how horrific! I hope the police are gonna take this seriously, especially as you know exactly who these boys are.

Disgusting bullies :(

If you do go the vets make sure to tell the police you had to do so and they'll offer to try to get the money for the treatment from the boys, hopefully the parents suddenly being faced with a vets bill would also make them take their children's behaviour more seriously.

I hope micheie is gonna be okay after a few days rest. X

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

B****rds.. I hope the police take you seriously.

Maybe you hurt your ankle in this incident and need a large stick to walk with????

19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Speaking as a parent, and a dog owner. I would be taking full responsibility for dog walks for a while to be honest if this had happened to any of my children.

This may mean stepping up and walking with you on dog walks, or taking Micheie out alone. At the end of the day, if anything happens to you, regardless of whether they are there or not, say you have an unfortunate accident, then it's actually in the eyes of the law their responsibility. Regardless what you think, how mature you are for you age.

Bullying is and should of course be taking seriously, which of course is what is happening but as many people are aware this is the second incident, and to some, the fear of the police may not even worry some children in this day and age.

I hope you both recover well, from this ghastly experience.

20. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Reminds me of when I was walking our old family dog and some young boys followed us from behind and starting shooting little coloured pellets at us!! Not sure whether it was an air gun or a BB gun or something? I don't think they ever made contact but they certainly intimidated me enough that I had to leave the area I was walking & enter a village about two miles away from home & walk the long way home. I never reported them as at the time nothing much was thought of it when I told my family, just told to avoid the area.

I hope Micheie is ok and has no long term hang ups from this nasty encounter. And you too x I'd certainly be speaking to your family & hopefully either your parents or an older sibling/friend etc could maybe accompany you on your next few walks? Little children like these boys will not say boo to a goose when you have a parent or older friend/relative with you.

Whiteshadow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice