Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor little Persian

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purrrrfect, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

We had a call this morning from a vets to ask us if we could take in a stray elderly (late teens) Persian female. She has been shaved and has an infection in her eyes wich she is on medication for that we paid for, and has kidney trouble that may require medication monthly. She looks very sore and thin but loves food.

I don't know what type of persian she is because i am just learning myself. Here is a few pics of her. Hubby has named her Lady (Lady gadiver) bless.

I have to admit i had to choke back tears when i saw her. The poor thing has been through a lot.

Attached Files:

2. mistique57

mistique57 PetForums Junior

I have persians bless her little cotton socks,Its hard to tell with her fur shaved she could be a colour point or a smoke,She will soon look better in a month when her fur starts to grow back bless are you keeping her its so sad when this happens.

3. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

aaaawww poor little love - bless you for taking care of her!!! I guess her coat was in such a poor condition that it had to be shaved. At least she's got some decent shelter now and regular food etc. Please keep us posted. :)

4. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Poor Lady. She looks a bit like Audrey did after the infamous grooming parlour incident & from what i remember her fur has grown back very nicely.

Will you be looking to re-home her after a while?

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Poor little lady and thank goodness for people like yourself. :)

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Such a shame!

I certainly hope that she feels much better soon.

What a great person you are for helping this cat!

7. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Well done for taking her in and giving her a loving home - she's a very lucky girl. :)

I would say she is a smoke persian as she has silver undercoat, I thought she might be a red at first but her nose leather is the wrong colour for it. She will look stunning once her coat grows back.

8. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

well done you for taking her in. bless her cotton socks xx

9. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Awww bless her...xxxx

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Aww what a sweetheart x

11. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

We will be keeping her, she is too old to be shuntered around any more.

I have sorted out a nicer bed for her yesterday and she seams to like it because she is curled up properly sleeping rather than sitting up hanging her head. When she gets up to eat, drink etc its heart breaking to watch her because she is so thin and has very little muscle to support herself and she wobbles. As my mum said today when she saw Lady, "God love her"

Lady seams a little better today she had a wander across the worktop (thats where i have her bed during the day because its away from the floor and drafts) and we even got a little meow out of her rather than the hissing and growling. She is eating well but is still very weak. She is sleeping quite a lot but that will be good for her to build her streangth and energy. I take her to bed with me at night by just picking her bed up. She likes to share my toast in the mornings and had a treat of ham and chicken yesterday. Thank you all for your very kind comments and concerns.

I do have 5 other Persians that can be seen in my album on my profile.

Attached Files:

#11 Purrrrfect, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  12. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

its unfortunate how you came to have her but you and she are very lucky and you can tell once she is fattened up and her hair is back she will live up to her name and be a real lady

13. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

It makes me really cross to see longhaired cats end up this way.:mad:

Too many people out there want everything they see but dont want to put any effort into it. They see a cute fluffy persian looking immaculately groomed for show on the web somewhere and think they get like that with little or no work involved - if one of my cats ever came back to me in that state trust me I would SUE.

14. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i know what you mean, i just wish i had pics of how bad graycie was when i got her, she had little bald bits where mats had been she had greasy fur but dry skin and sores on her back leg (which we 1st fount when she attacked my bf for petting her) and a fair few adverts say this longhaired breed or that one dont need a lot of grooming which also gives owners the wrong idea

15. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

wow she looks just like the rescue persian cat i used to have years ago, so cute even with no fur, wish i could have her.

16. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Awww! Poor Lady! I can't believe that someone would do something like that to a cat!

Since browsing this forum, I understand more about cats than I knew before. I still don't know why someone would bother getting a cat if they can't look after it though.

17. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

All longhaired cats are high maintenance.

Breeders who claim that they need little or no grooming are anything but reputable - they are more interested in selling kittens so will never mention any negatives that may cost them a sale. :mad:

A prospective buyer should always be made fully aware of what they will be taking on before buying a kitten - that includes all of the cons as well as the pros as they will have to sign a contract stating that they are aware of their responsibilities to maintain the kitten to a good standard.

18. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Bless you for keeping her and not wanting to put her through any other moves. I hope that she continues to gain strength and has a very happy "retirement" with you & that your other cats treat her with the respect she deserves.

Please keep us updated with her progress.

19. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Bless her! Looks like she's landed on her feet though xxx

20. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Oh she's beautiful :D :D She's going to be an absolute stunner when she's feeling better.

Well done for giving her a home x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice