Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor Jake - feeling a bit gutted...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lozzibear, Oct 2, 2013.

1. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

The other day, Jake was sleeping in the kitchen. He got up and walked into my room, where I was, he stopped at the door and lifted his right leg (he had TPLO surgery on his left leg in July) as far up as it could go, and started shaking it around... it was quite bizarre. He was then walking funny on it, but he lay down so I just left him. He was fine after that so I didn't think much of it.

His left leg has healed well so he is on an exercise increase. He is finally allowed off lead so the time off lead has been getting slowly increased. Today, I let him off and it was the first time he ran... it wasn't a fast run because he is still cautious on his leg, but a gently casual kind of run. He just did a few short circles and then pottered about sniffing, then had another run before I put him on lead. He came home and had a wee sleep... once he got up, he was walking funny :( The same way he did when he had the problems with his left leg...

After a short time he was walking fine, but I took him out for an on lead wander around the park a wee while later and he was the same again :( I have no doubt that it is now the right leg going, I know the signs from his left leg. The dogs are booked in to see the vet on Saturday anyway because I have changed vets after the trouble I had with his left leg... so I will mention it to her. He isn't bad just now, again I know from his left leg, but his right leg is going now... So, he will be on strict exercise again and I will be keeping a close eye on him. I had hoped it was just because he isn't use to the exercise but it has been a gradual build up and it is only his right leg, not his left... and it is the exact same as the cruciate issues.

I knew this was coming, and in some ways it is better to be sooner rather than later so it is over and done with and he can get fit and be healthy... but it doesn't stop it from being gutting. And even more so because he is finally happy to be getting better, and now it starts all over again... So, a bit gutted for my boy today :(

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Oh how awful for you. Such a shame if it is and you can't have him fit before the next op.

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm really sorry for both you and Jake. It's so hard and upsetting when the lameness goes on and on.

At least you know what the problem is and, difficult that it is, try and remain positive and think long term.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That is awful, just when you were getting back to normal

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Bad luck - but you knew it was going to happen sometime. Once he's had the second leg done and recovered, you'll be able to stop worrying about him and just get on with the rest of his life.

6. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

Thanks guys... I did know it was coming, and to be honest, it is probably better to be sooner rather than later. Especially now he is doing a lot better with his left leg, so he can cope with getting the right leg done... he is doing well, and his fitness has come up really well (he was really fit before so I think that obviously helped him get back to fitness quicker). He has shifted most of his weight, but I am not sure on his exact weight but can find that out on Saturday. He must be at, or close to, his target weight... although, I want him a bit lighter than the vet suggested.

Even though I was expecting this, it is still a bit gutting... but, this time in 6 months or so (depending on when he actually gets the right leg operated on) he will be happy and healthy again, so I just need to think like that... it is hard though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice