Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor Eevee

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lullabydream, Oct 11, 2021.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Eevee went for a dental today. The vet said it wouldn't be too bad, seen a lot worse. She definitely needed it as her breath smelt like a dirty fish tank. Plus wasn't chewing her chews as normal. Usually first to finish but now last.

Just phoned to check on her. I know they do dental last but never heard anything by 4,and you know.. I was getting worried I want her home.

Anyway, she's had 16 teeth out. 16!!! OH guessed 3 missing. Poor baby girl. I know she will feel better without them but still!

2. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

OMG, thats a lotta teeth removed! Did the vet say why so many, when you were obviously expecting no where near that amount?
    I guess 16 out of 42 not as bad as it sounds but still a shock. As long as she feels the better for not having them, which I'm sure she will, then thats what counts in the long run.
    Soft food for a while sounds the thing, and lots of love

lullabydream likes this.
  3. lullabydream

I did brush her teeth but due to my health got lazy for a year

Scrambled eggs tonight, and loads of wet food which she will love

margy, Happy Paws2 and DaisyBluebell like this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Poor Eevee, sending lots of love.
    I'm sure she'll enjoy the scrambled eggs @lullabydream

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

poor girl. She is going to be very sore for a few days.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

just to add don't feel guilty about not cleaning her teeth. All the dogs I have owned I have never once cleaned teeth and none of them have ever had a dental or lost a tooth for any reason,

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack had a similar amount out last time but tbh he bounced back really fast, considering.

Unfortunately, until they get in there it’s difficult to tell how many are causing trouble.

Hope Eevee feels better for it … Jack certainly did … kept him happy and comfortable for quite a few years :)

lullabydream likes this.
  8. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Oh poor baby!I hope she recovers quickly (off to buy a doggy toothbrush for Dan!)

lullabydream likes this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Aw poor girl! Hope she enjoys her soft food for a few days!

I've never brushed teeth either, I wonder if I should start thinking about it for Penny....

lullabydream likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor little Evee indeed!
    Reena had 13 teeth out 3 years ago, she recovered really well and is eating quite hard foods - and yes, she smells so much better !
    Both the vet and chair-person of the Dachshund Breed Council told me there was a genetic link and also the conformaton of the jaw and teeth made small dogs more predisposed to dental problems. Reena's litter made had 12 teeth out the year previous to Reena. I've tried brushing her teeth but she's quite unco-operative so I do make sure she has fish-skins at least once a day.
    Like you I beat myself up, but we do our best!:)

lullabydream likes this.
  11. lullabydream

The grand total was actually 17. Plus she has one missing at the back.. No idea if it was ever there

Thanks for all the support.

When I got Cleo she had just had a dental. When she got diagnosed with MVD another dental was required.. I don't know if there had been a problem after the first dental and I bought her home thinking she's no interest in chewing much. Till after her second dental with me and she was chew crazy.

You might have to but I got ill so my dogs weren't chewing as much too @O2.0

OH is kindly giving most of his wages to the vet this month, Harleys spay and 2 vaccinations. So is life though.

Here she is home with my son
    IMG_20211011_181823.jpg

margy, rona, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  12. Kaily

Kaily PetForums VIP

I hope she recovers quickly. I'm sure you will feel much better without them.

Happy Paws2 and lullabydream like this.
  13. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Oh dear, poor little soul, she does look sad and hard done by. Dogs seem to do fine with less teeth, amazing really.

lullabydream likes this.
  14. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

For dogs that dont like having their teeth cleaned, I would recommend trying Fresh Breath gel by Tropiclean. You can get it from Amazon. I find it very good and its very easy to apply, just a couple of blobs on the canines once per day.

kimthecat and lullabydream like this.
  15. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Poor little lass, hope she's feeling better soon :)

Teeth are sneaky, Danny went to have a lump removed from his gum last year, and one slightly dodgy looking tooth right at the very back.
    The vet was saying how great his teeth looked, and how he wouldn't need to do a dental...picked him up afterwards and discovered he had 6 teeth removed, and one was so bad it basically just came straight out! :eek:
    But they were pure white, there was no smell at all, absolutely no sign from Danny that he was pain...I felt like the worst person in the world though!

lullabydream likes this.
  16. lullabydream

Not poor Danny.

They said Eevee's teeth weren't too bad, so as we both know it just depends.

She's scoffed down scrambled egg. I knew she was hungry as she did sniff out food just before, wanting my pizza.

margy and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Eep, big shock for you. Don't feel bad though @lullabydream, dental health is mostly genetic. Toothbrushing and other stuff can help a little in some cases, but all the teeth out absolutely won't be *just* because of your health issues influencing that. Hope she recovers well.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  18. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Ahh poor girl! That's a lot of teeth to lose! Hope she enjoys her soft food for a few days :D

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I'm sure she'll enjoy being spoilt.
    One of my cats came back with only 3 teeth left. She scoffed her food after that so hopefully Eevee will just be feeling relief.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. lullabydream

I knew what I was getting into with owning toy breeds....
    Stans vaccinations this Thursday I bet they suggest a dental for him too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice