UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into town today to get a bit of shopping, and as I was walking down the street I saw a pug on a wheelchair.
I caught up with them again at the cafe, where I assume he had gotten tired because they had put him in his buggy, then I noticed he only had one eye!

The owners caught me looking (I couldn't help it!) so I just said ''he looks comfy in there'' The wife said ''He loves to walk, but he gets so tired so we have to bring his buggy along.''
I said 'hes cute' and she told me he had been stolen from them, then dumped, and got run over, that's how he lost the use of his back legs and his eye was so badly damaged it had to be removed. he also only has a few teeth so has to eat soft food. He has an enlarged heart and his liver/kidneys are packing in so basically they are just trying to keep him happy.

I have always thought that if something bad happened to my dog, like if Dixie lost the use of her back legs it would be cruel to keep her alive as she loves to run. But this pug just looked content :) I still feel sorry for him though how can someone be so cruel to run a dog over and leave it :( Good job he has caring owners.

xx

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
awww that's so sad, how any anyone be so cruel? The pugs owners must've been distraught to know what had happened :(

as long as the dog is happy, that is the most important thing I think. Once it started to become uncomfortable or unhappy in itself, then i'd have to make the decision for it :(

G

·
I don't know how I would be if I was the dogs owners. I suppose it's one of those horrid things that you deal with if it crops up.
Admire their devotion though :)

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
You can only hope that owners care for sick dogs, meet their needs whatever the cost and i dont just mean financially but emotionally, and these owners sound like they are certainly doing that for now.

I always wondered how i would cope if any of my dogs ever had an ilness that was incurable and wondered if or how i would know when enough was enough from my dogs point of view. I do believe (and i know sadly there are exceptions) that we become so involved and tuned in to our pets, that it is instinctive. I also dont think anyone fully understands just how much until that instinct is called upon.

I wont go into my story its sooo long, but we went through so much with monty, he was so brave and with lots of care, attention and a lot of knowledge about his condition dilated cardio myopathy (enlarged heart) he had a good quality of life but always at the back of my mind "did he?" and i always said i would never keep him alive just for us, but when would i know "if we was", i should never have worried on that score because when the day came I just knew. Then you just have to pull on your inner strength and do what has to be done.

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to see yourself in that situation. Well, it is for me anyway, my dogs have never had anything serious happen (Dixie once swallowed a looly stick).
If something was to happen and she had no use of her back legs, I would have to let her go, she would be miserable. She is not happy unless she is runnign and jumping around like a loony and it would depress her if she had to have a wheelchair. If she had 3 legs she would still be ok I reckon.
But other than that I guess it is instinct and you have to be careful to make the decision for them, not for you.

xx

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to see yourself in that situation. Well, it is for me anyway, my dogs have never had anything serious happen (Dixie once swallowed a looly stick).
If something was to happen and she had no use of her back legs, I would have to let her go, she would be miserable. She is not happy unless she is runnign and jumping around like a loony and it would depress her if she had to have a wheelchair. If she had 3 legs she would still be ok I reckon.
But other than that I guess it is instinct and you have to be careful to make the decision for them, not for you.

xx
I agree monty was a springer and lived his life till he was 61/2 at 100miles per hour, after his collapse he was given 4 days to live he survived andi thought that he was meant to stay, over very, very carefull handling he got to his normal walks although slowly and he could not run around like he used, but then as with the heart condition he had it just gets worse, he couldnt go out if was windy, if it was too cold, heat was a nightmare, was that the life he "wanted" he would have "chose" i know it wasnt, then he began to have mini faints in the morning as his heart was too weak to circulate the blood to his brain when getting up from sleeping, his gum and lip colour was paler so took hom to the vets and asked her. She had looked after him since collapse so knew everything he had been through, if he had come to the end as i thought he had and the look on her face said it all. Life is for living dogs need to live and enjoy life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.