Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor Delilah...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by koitattoo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. koitattoo

koitattoo PetForums Newbie

Well my little girl has had a lump on her belly for a long time and its been stedily growing...after speaking ot a few breeders in the area and considering her age, she is 2, i decided to let her be for as long as possible to live her life with her sister as lo9ng as she was comfortable, i check her as often as possible and she has been fine and is still climbing the cage happily, however i have noticed today that the lump has started to drag on the floor where it is so big that it is starting to get sore and so i think the time has come to get her put to sleep :(

does anyone know roughly how much this will cost??

i am worried about her poor sister too, when one of my male rats died last year the other one died exactly a week later. he looked so miserable xx

2. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

shouldnt cost too much around £20 at the very most i believe ! get in touch and ask the vet.

i would get another female to go with yours as soon as possible, they dont like to be alone really and need company of another.

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

it depends on the size of the lump.. a pea sized one cost me £90 to have removed off lenin YEARS ago so i expect it's about the same or more now.

I would have it checked for cancer as if it's growing fast (visibly day by day) then it is more likely to be cancer than just a benign tumour which you can leave alone and then have her put down when she is almost immobile. Rats get alone with benign lumps pretty well a few of mine have had them and i wouldn't bother having them removed again after doing it for lenin and her getting another one later on. If a rat is prone to tumours then getting rid of one generally it will get another one sooner or later. If you bought the rat from a breeder and it gets a benign tumour you should tell them as it means the whole stock is liable to get them if bred from the same parents again. If it was from a shop, you could tell them but likely not to have the same effect.

Stalin had a lump that was half the size of a tennis ball before we had her put down.. she was absolutely healthy besides that and the only reason we had her put down was she could barely move the thing! other than that she was happy as larry, you'd never know she was 'ill' at all :D

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I thinks she's asking how much it'll cost to have her put PTS...

I'd call around local vets and compare prices. Can range from anywhere between £9-£30

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

when mush had hers removed it cost 50 pounds

to have her pts was 30

6. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

sorry, am wrist-slittingly bored today, didn't read it properly.

aye, pts is about 20-30 quid.

7. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Poor little thing! Hope it doesn't come to putting her to sleep!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice