Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor customer service.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bobby7, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Less than 6mths ago I brought a xxxxxxxxxxxx cooker from xxxxxxxxxxs. It has a ceramic hob and a 'plastic' surround. I didn't really think much about this, just liked the look of the cooker and its features so i purchased it. Now the surround around the hob has started to crack and split. I've spoken to both xxxxxxxxs and xxxxxxxxxx and because it's not a mechanical fault I have to pay for it to be repaired or replaced (the surround not the whole cooker) because this type of fault isn't covered under the guarantee. Now I'm not too aware of the whole legal situation/ statutary rights surrounding this, can anybody offer any thoughts or advice. By the way it was purchased on 'buy now pay 6 months time' and I've not even started paying for it yet. Thanks

#1 bobby7, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Surely it has to be fit for purpose :confused: Unless it was fitted wrong which has put pressure on it :confused: Have you had a Google to see if others have issue with that model ?

3. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

That was my arguement, that it wasnt fit for purpose but in the end I got so fed up with trying to put my point accross I have to admit I did put the phone down. I will be talking to cab tomorrow. Hadn't thought about googling will do that later.

4. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

5. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Can't put it any better than this. Currys are absolutely hopeless for customer service, but if you keep piling the pressure on they will have to fold eventually.

6. DT

DT Banned

How can a fault such as you describe not be covered on would have to ask?
    I take it you indicated that you wanted to USE the cooker when you purchased it and not just sit and look at it!:D

Trading standards of consumer protection springs to mind (whatever ya call em)
    Also email watchdog, will taken a long time but if anyone else has the same problem they may raise it eventually!

Certainly sounds to me like the cooker is not fit for the purpose that it was sold
    All the best!
    DT

7. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

I have to say... I've stopped purchasing any Hotpoint stuff now, never had any good ones to be honest so I don't buy it anymore. I think Zanussi are now owned by Hotpoint so look out.:mad:

Common sense would tell them that plastic and heat don't mix. I hope you get your money back.

Sighs.... you only learn this kind of stuff when you're as old as dirt.... like me :(

8. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

My mother had a delivery of a condensor dryer from Comet & while she was speaking to the delivery men the subject was brought up what to buy & not what to buy.

They were saying NEVER buy Hotpoint even though they are a well known brand as they never last no matter which product.

They said the amount of returns due to failure was worse than any other brand & the best to buy was Beko.

I hope you get this sorted out asap :)

9. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

You most certainly do have rights!! If that cooker was purchased recently, the seller is under a legal obligation to make sure that that product is fit for purpose, if it's not they refund or replace!

Buying goods - your rights

Don't let them tell you otherwise!! Contact Head Office, speak to the Organ grinder, not the monkeys in the shop!

10. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

Lol, I've had a Beko tv for years and years and I've been waiting for it to die so I can get a plasma one and it just won't die... it's HUGE and takes up loads of room. Same about my fridge, I want a SMEG one but the darn thing won't die lol.

#10 Iluvmypets, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

It shouldnt matter what damn part broke, you bought a product expecting to get some usage out of it for your money. They are some type of assholes for not replacing it.

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Your 'contract' is with the company you purchased the item from NOT the manufacturer. Martin Lewis makes this very clear whenever he talks about these things.

You can take your item back to the shop even up to a year after purchase if you feel it is no longer suitable for the purpose for which you bought it. So you would expect a cooker to last for more than a year (or six months in your case) but you would be taking the p*ss if you tried to take back a pair of tights. :)

Now, as you have a 'buy now pay later option' you need to look at this carefully. This agreement will be with a Finance company - not Curry's - and if you refuse to pay or default on payment, they will not hesitate to 'blacken' your name and you really don't want this as it will affect future credit requests.

Now go and kick bottom!! You have rights and make sure Curry's know you are aware of them!!!!

Good luck.

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Ignore what Currys have told you & their guarantee, you will be covered under the Sale of Goods Act.

There has been some useful links posted by other members so make sure you read them & print off any useful info from the websites that way you can go in to the store 'armed'

14. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Thanks for the replies and advice, Im going to work out a 'plan of action' over the weekend and try and get this sorted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice