Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor child, stupid midwife

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jen24, May 25, 2010.

1. jen24

jen24 Banned

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

How do you manage to do that? Poor baby :(

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

OMFG she is a twot. Poor baby :(

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

I know, its bad isnt it. and the parents told her she had cut the finger off and she said 'no i havent'. stupid woman. it made my stomach flip when i read it, its horrible, poor mite.

5. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

It doesnt say how long that midwife had been on shift for? She may have been on for 15 hours already and was on her 9th day in a row? We dont know circumstances so its a bit mean to call her names.
    I completely agree that it should never have happened however midwifes, as are most people who work for the nhs, are overworked, underpaid and have the threat of job cuts hanging over their heard all of the time.

This incident needs a thorough investigation and may help improve the way the staff are treated, although i very highly doubt it :mad:

6. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also nobody mentions the amount of babies she may of delivered without any incidents whatsoever.

Once again

THE PRESS STRIKES AGAIN!

7. jen24

jen24 Banned

Im not doubting she could have been overworked and tired but im sure the parents arent thinking of that! neither would be the poor baby.

its the fact that she told the parents they were wrong when they informed her what she had done and then left them for a considerable amount of time to get help without stopping the bleeding first ect.

it could have been handled a little better.

8. Merlin Birmingham

and you believe everything you read in papers?

there are two sides and all that shizzle.

Having been first hand on the receiving end of bad press does it make e any less of a professional?

9. jen24

jen24 Banned

did you cut a babies finger off? did you cause an injuring to someone? bad press is one thing, but tired or not it shouldnt have happened,something should be done to stop it happening and someone is to blame whether it be her or the hospital for overworking staff or goverment for not enough funds to employ more or whoever!

10. jen24

jen24 Banned

And no i dont beleive everything i read in the papers/news but i do believe a child shouldnt have lost its finger!

11. Merlin Birmingham

Yes i have caused further injury to people, adding to their existing injuries, its about priority of needs.

Its cases such as this that result in stupid rules being put in place that endanger patients lives even further.

Eventually there will be no need for doctors, midwives or any other HCP for that matter as there will be nothing that they are allowed to do!

12. jen24

jen24 Banned

im not talking about them placing new rules, im sayig if it was due to her being knackered because shes overworked something should be done about it.

to be honest im not thinking about the midwife right now, im thinking about the parents of the poor newborn abbay who lost a finger, whatever the reasons. its lucky they managed to sew it back on but she still has to be banaged up and the parents still have to keep it clean and look after that when they should be enjoying their new child.

13. Merlin Birmingham

But the original post and some subsequent posts after that slated the midwife.

The HCP has been doing her job 22 years, and the article states it was the tip of the finger, this could of been 2mm.

The main thing is that the baby is alive and doing well.

I often see nurses that will only do the bare minimum, and to a degree I applaud them. How many times have people said that nurse is a bitch they are useless etc etc. They all have registration pins to look after if they lose it then that is there livelyhood gone, I am not surprised some nurses will only do what they essentially have to because of being scared litigation, This would also explain why some nhs trusts are failing to meet demand of new nurses, I mean after all would you want to be in a job where you are constantly treading on egg shells?

14. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

tbh I never even thought of that :eek: I personally shouldnt have been so mean in my reply, it was a knee jerk reaction (jerk been the word that befriends me frequently :eek: :lol: :lol: )

15. jen24

jen24 Banned

ok then i apologise for slating the midwife but it shouldnt have happened. and im sure the parents wouldnt apologise for slating her either and i wouldnt expect them to.

ive already said maybe there was a reason but the fact is it should not have happened. she shouldnt have been doing it if she was tired ot overworked, i dont care how much they do or how little they do as long as they do it with a fresh head! and thats not down to us or the staff its down to the employers and goverment for being crap. but like i keep saying over and over again, it shouldnt have happened and its the baby and parents i feel sorry for. maybe the midwife doesnt deserve slating but the baby didnt deserve to lose a finger either!

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Maybe this thread shouldn't have been started. ;)

17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

OMG, poor baby...poor parents...and poor midwife.:(
    TBH I could give hundreds of examples of prime cock ups and quite dangerous incidents in hospitals and the majority of those are caused by workload, tiredness or inexperience. The rare cases of a health practitioner being just plain c**p you find the staff who work with them are the first to start complaints and trying to get rid of them!!:rolleyes:
    Hopefully it will just become an interesting story to tell the baby when she is older, and Im sure the midwife is beating herself up plenty at the moment anyway.:(

18. Merlin Birmingham

No you are completely right it shouldnt of happened, but accidents do happen. overworking and long hours is a big problem in any industry. Most HCP's are in there chosen career because they want to help people, when you are faced with a situation that you know that the shift taking over you are five down or its been a very manic night and the staff are going to find it hard to cope you face a moral dilema.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

19. jen24

jen24 Banned

Well at least you agree with me on something! wheres the real Merlin gone?!!! :lol:

i know accidents happen which is why im saying something should be done to at least lessen the amount of accidents that keep happening. im sure she feels awful and maybe i was a bit harsh but thats only because being a parent myself i would hate for it to have happened to any of my kids so maybe i got a little motherly and protective.

Who knows.

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

After what happened with my cousins baby nothing surprises me anymore. If someone had bothered to do their job properly and take a bit of care in their work Alex would still be alive and 6 years old now. Instead he only had 6 weeks and 1 day.. all of it spent in neo-natal on a ventilator :(

Im sorry to sound harsh but theres no excuse when you've got that much responsilbilty of a childs life in your hands... it could have been so much worse for the baby whos finger was injured but thankfully it wasn't.

Im not trying to slate those working in the NHS but theres always a bad egg somewhere who really doesn't a cr*p about the profession they are in.

Thank god on the other hand there are those that do the service proud and deserve so much more appreciation for the job they do.!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice