Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor Chatter.. :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by momentofmadness, Mar 31, 2011.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My mum's poor Greyhound Chatter..

My mum rang me Friday to say she kept seing spots of blood where Chatter was sitting.. But couldn't find a mark on her.. She then sused it to be coming from her mouth but couldn't work out where a bouts...

She took her the vets on Monday and they said she had a bad tooth that needed to come out and a gum infection.. :(

Poor girl... :(

So yesterday she went in.. quoted price £250.00 to £300.00 :( mum isn't fussed wants her beloved Chatter happy..

So she went in yesterday and came out yesterday evening.. They took 10 teeth out from one side.. Poor girl.. apparently the gum infection made all her teeth that they removed loose.. :(

Interesting.. My mum was telling me that it is a common problem with Greyhounds to have problems with their teeth.. this vets is teh vets all the Greyhound people use and have done for as long as I have been alive.. :)
    She was telling my mum that one lady has 3 greyhounds all have had teeth removed and one has about 2 teeth left..:(

Any one else with a Greyhound with Teeth probs.. Id be interested to know..

2. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Poor soul :(

Yes...they are prone to bad teeth. I fostered an ex racer for a while and hers were in a bad way. Some owners have a tendency to feed them human junk food...especially after a race. The girl I had used to be rewarded with a deep fried pizza and chips after a race apparently :blink: not forgetting the Irn Bru to wash it down, they generally existed on a sloppy wet food diet.

#2 BenMac, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. momentofmadness

The vet did say is was more ex racers tha have the prob.. With what you have posted kinda makes me realise why.. :eek:

My mums dog is on a good diet.. I did ask my mum if the pigs ears trotters jerky were anything to do with it.. She said the vet said these were all fine..

The dog came to my mum poor and she got her in tip top condition.. :) TBO a bit too tip top.. :lol: she had a year of being the fattest grey hound I ever met.. but my mum soon sorted this.. And nope they dont give human snacks.. just loads of jerky ears and trotters.. :)

4. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I wasn't doubting her being on a good diet now :)
    Possibly it's just something that she was going to be prone to. Like people I suppose....some folks just dont have the best of teeth no matter how well they look after them. Could even have been an underlying problem from before she came to your mum and was not obvious to the eye.

5. momentofmadness

I didn't think you were.. :)

I think my mum has had her 6 years now.. and the slightest thing she has Chatter there.. :) I did doubt the treats though as I questioned my mum about it.. I take my dogs there.. and Our Bobby the pup..he will go and sit nicely in front of my mum cause he knows she is good with the treats.. :lol:
    Bridget would probably rather live there due to this too.. :lol:

I did ask her if they charged her any more for the extra 9 teeth they took.. She said no.. the bill in al was £290.00 :eek:.. she is insured thankfully. :)

6. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

What a lot of teeth to have out, hope her gums aren't too sore. I think I recall posts over on the Gap forums about ex-racers and tendancy to bad teeth. I suppose as well some dogs just seem to get bad teeth. Dory has nice clean teeth, but Ben has loads of plaque - they both get exactly the same food and teeth cleaning regime.

7. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Yeah...exactly. Can just be down to bad luck too :)

8. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Nero is booked in to have ALL of his teeth removed mid-April. We have battled his gum disease for over a year, and three different vets have had the same opinion- they have to come out now. He's already had 6 extracted, two polish and cleans, and was on steroids for about 6 months to battle the disease- but to no avail.

Apparently because they are fed slops in the kennels when racing theres nothing abraisive to descale their teeth, and as they are predominantly muzzled, they cannot move their tongue around as freely to dislodge plaque build-up (I'm not too sure on the latter reason tbh, but could be true)

It's very common for greys to have bad teeth, but Nero is unusual in how much trouble they've been. Also- not covered by insurance, so bless the new vets who have knocked off £500!

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Poor girl :( Hopefully she'll feel much better soon.

My two (ex-racers) had poor teeth when I got them- not loose/infected, just very dirty, and it took a good year of daily teeth cleaning to get them looking nice. Now they're kept on top of with a good ol' raw diet and the occasional blob of logic gel.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

aww bless it was nice of them not to charge for the extra teeth being taken out :)

11. momentofmadness

Im just hoping she doesn't loose the resat like the vet said she might..
    i also guess its why when me and bobby went the other day she wasn't fussed about her new big bones.. So Bobby gave them a good going over. My mum said she isn't chomping on it when I left.. But she hasn't let it out of her sight.. :lol:

12. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Poor pup!

Hope she feels better soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice