Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor charlie, my cocker

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by haeveymolly, May 24, 2010.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Charlie is unwell, this morning he winced/whined when he walked down the stairs, he got to the bottom and wouldnt move, so i felt around his legs,paws no pain at all, got out the leads for the 3 of them and he sort of ran into the kitchen he walked fine up to the field i let him off and usually its like letting a shot out of a gun he just stood there so i brought them all back, he would have no breakfast wouldnt drink, in this weather i was more worried, he then tried to lay down he couldnt tried but couldnt.

Luckily my oh is at home so i left him and went to work, around 10.30 i got a phone call from oh to say he was worried and had taken him to the vets, he has pulled a muscle in his neck and shoulder, she said not to worry at this stage about him not eating but he must drink so we are shringing diarolite and water into him every half hour,she gave him an anti-inflammatory injection, we have to ring them in the morning to let them know how he is, he has just eaten but has to be hand fed as its too painfull to put his head down and even lifting the dish to his mouth level he is in sooo much pain as the action of a dog to get food into his mouth as you know is like a whipping action and hurts him, but at least he's had food and by shringing at least we know he.s getting fluids.

He's so sorry for himself i didnt think eyes could droop so low he cant lay down and sits staring at me as if to say help me, its awfull that we cant explain to them.

2. rona

rona Guest

Aww poor little mite :(

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Charlie hope he's better soon x

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Sounds really painful:( Hope he recovers soon!

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Awww that sounds horrid, hope he is on the mend soon xx

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Aww bless him, hope he gets better soon. X

Just wondering though, why are you syringing diarholyte into him if he hasn't got diarrhoea?? Surely just normal water is all the fluid he needs?? Sorry, just confused that's all. Glad he has eaten now though. :thumbup:

7. haeveymolly

Thanks for your good wishes everyone, he really is struggling we are having to shringe and hand feed because he wont drink or eat and because of the hot weather and him not drinking yesterday and this morning he was dehydrating and if we couldnt get a lot of water down him the diarolyte would do him more good than only little ammounts of water, at least the salts etc would be replaced.

8. Dally Banjo

Would he lick anything? maybe make some ice lollys for him x

9. haeveymolly

Very reluctantly, but he is taking the water by syringe

10. Dally Banjo

Hopefully you wont have to do it for to long, poor fella x

11. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

bless him, i hope he is feeling better soon

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Aw, poor little man. :( maybe either get on the floor or let him on the settee and put a pillow under his head so he can get a little rest. Although if your cocker is anything like my little **** he'll remember what you've done and play on it when hes better. :rolleyes:

13. haeveymolly

Well ime not sure how much he is playing on it at the moment, the door went earlier and he jumped up and shot to the door, but then after the event he went back to sitting or standing as if he's half parylised.:rolleyes: so one minute ime really worried then the next i feel like ime having my leg pulled a little.

14. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Yes they're good at that, since Arnie got loads of fusses and a rush to the vets when he went through a wasps nest (and got a few! stings for his troubles) everytime he hears more than one wasp he drops to the floor and whines and wont move until you pick him up and take a few steps. Then its like....ha ha got you........and off he toddles again. :rolleyes:

15. haeveymolly

:lol::lol::lol::lol: little bugger!!!!!

16. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Oh ok, i see, just wondered.

What about ice cubes? Or try adding some meat juices to the water? Bless him, did they give him any muscle relaxants like diazapam or anything??

17. haeveymolly

No just the injection, we will have to see how he is in the morning and given the vets a ring, now he has eaten we havnt given him any of the diarolytes, just water in the syringe.

18. sandymere

sandymere PetForums Member

2nd that thought, diarholyte is to replace the salts lost through diarrhoea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice