Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poor boy - been in the wars

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by claire8234, Apr 24, 2017.

1. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Stitch came in from his nightly toilet trip yesterday with a scrap on his nose. Looked very much like a cat scratch.

I wasnt overly concerned, probably a disagreement over territory etc. Checked him over and he was fine.

Last night he slept on the bed which is unusual but I thought if he had had a scrap them maybe he just needed some reassurance.

He had his tea today and went upstairs to our bed and he seemed a little stiff in his rear left leg. My son went to give him a stroke on the bed & he got swiped and miaowed at, so I knew something wasnt right.

I think he may have been bitten, there is a tiny mark there - barely noticeable and not an open wound or anything (I can only see because his leg is white). He is ok and walking on it but stiffly. its extremely hard to look properly as he is a sod to hold at the best of times.

Needless to say I will be taking him to the vets as soon as they open at 8am but I am worried about pain relief. He cannot have metacam. His vet file has it written on in big letters!

If its a bite and he needs anti inflammatories and painkillers are there alternatives he can have?

My poor old boy :(

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about poor Stitch's injury. :( It could be a puncture wound on his leg, often they are hard to see until the infections makes them swell. My vet prescribes antibiotics for my cat when he has been bitten in a cat fight, but does not prescribe pain relief for bites.

If the cause is something other than a bite and Stitch needs pain killers the vet might prescribe vetergesic as he can't have metacam.

Custard Mite, moggie14 and claire8234 like this.
  3. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Thank you chillminx. I had forgotten about vetergesic. He is fine with antibiotics.

I do think it is a bite as there is a small amount of swelling but only if you are looking very closely.

I Imagine the swelling started today and is now beginning to make it sore. I am dreading taking him, he hates the carrier and the car and pees all in the box, makes a huge racket and then gets all hot and pants!

As soon as the cat flap is locked he will be straight under the bed, right in the middle where he knows I cannot reach him. Getting him there is more traumatic than the injury!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good luck Claire. :) I had the same problem with one of my previous cats, if she got a hint of a vet trip she used to hide under the double bed! :( Maybe close all the bedroom doors before you lock the cat flap. :)

AmsMam, leashedForLife and claire8234 like this.
  5. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

I would rather him go upstairs than in the lounge, if he hides under the sofa there is no way on earth I can get him out!! Its like a military operation.

Hopefully I can get in first thing and get him sorted
    X

chillminx likes this.
  6. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Good luck with the vet trip tomorrow. I hope they can sort him out. It's good you've caught it early.

claire8234 likes this.
  7. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Hope the vets visit goes okay. My lad had an infected wound a few years ago (we guess from a fight). The vet was able to easily drain and clean it and antibiotics cleared it. He may be a bit sore, inflamed at the moment but I'm sure they can help him.

claire8234 likes this.
  8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aw poor old Stitch! Fingers crossed it's not infected and should easily be sorted. Tell him old men should not be fighting in the street lol xx

chillminx and claire8234 like this.
  9. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

LOL!! I will definitely tell him. Thankfully I dont think it is serious but he is feeling sorry for himself and milking the sympathy for all its worth :rolleyes:

He'll hate me tomorrow and sit giving me evils when he has seen the "nasty" vet

moggie14 likes this.
  10. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Yep Mum it will be all your fault :p

claire8234 likes this.
  11. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

When looked at our house we really liked the open green space at the front of the house and the fact we werent near a main road. Plenty of space for Stitch we thought.....obviously not enough!!

12. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor boy, hopefully if he's started on the antibiotics tomorrow it won't turn into a nasty abscess. Can he not have any anti inflammatories? There's onsior but it's along the same lines as metacam.

He sounds just like Rodney before a vet visit, he managed to get through my blockade under the bed last time we went & I had to haul him out which was awful. Doors shut next time!

moggie14 and claire8234 like this.
  13. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

It happened about this time yesterday so if he goes to the vets first thing tomorrow it shouldnt turn nasty. Like I said you cant really see anything just a tiny little mark on his leg.

He cannot have metacam at all but not sure about other anti inflammatories. When he had his dental surgery it made him extremely poorly, at one point we thought we were going to lose him so metacam is a definite no

Matrod likes this.
  14. leashedForLife

future ref:
    work on making the cat-carrier the best hidey-hole, nap space, treat cupboard, etc, in the whole wide world. ;)
    Leave it open ALL THE TIME - in places that don't interfere with his access to food, H2O, litter boxes, scratch posts, etc. // Spray some snuggly light bedding - a baby blanket is nice, a bitty one, not a great big thing - with spray-catnip from a pump-spray bottle; keep it in the 'frig once it's opened, it will last for 3 to 6-months refrigerated.
    Spritz the interior of the crate on the floor with Feliway pump-spray; ditto, spray the edge of the crate doorway on the LATCH side at his head-height, so he walks right by the spritzed bit. Renew the Feliway every week to 10-days, in the same spots.
    Small soft toys can also be spritzed with Feliway - or catnip, on other occasions. :D He can carry them about, bat them around, rub his cheeks on them, lie on them, etc.
    Put freeze-dried treats in the open carrier, under the baby-blanket so he must look for them - not dart in, snatch it, & flee. Dried tiny fish are good - small, light, & stinky. Whitefish shavings, chkn-breast, liver cubes, etc - all come freeze-dried & won't start to spoil in the warmth of a house.
    Kickable / killable larger soft-toys are nice in the crate, too - he can't carry them around, but sprayed with catnip essence, they are perfect for disemboweling, rolling on, cuddling with, etc.
    Get creative - think of other alluring things to get him inside the carrier (on his own terms, not forced), interacting, & relaxed.

15. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

I've done all that and it makes no difference he wont be fooled, he wont go near it! plus the carrier is so big there osnt space for it anywhere. Getting him in it isnt a problem, its retreiving him from wherever he has wedged himself

16. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Back from the vets. The vet said well done for noticing it so quickly and bringing him in straight away which was nice of her.

She checked him over and found a couple of marks on both his hind legs, couldnt determine if it was scratches or bites but to be safe she prescribed antibiotics so he is on nisamox twice a day.

No anti inflammatories yet as the alternative to metacam would make him sleepy and he would have to stay inside - which he wouldnt do at all.

He has scoffed some food (with the tablets in) and gone back to bed! Poor lad

17. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Poor Stitch! The ABs will ensure no nasty infection gets a hold and I'm sure he will be just fine in a couple of days. xx

claire8234 likes this.
  18. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Bless him. I hope the antibiotics do their job quickly.

claire8234 likes this.
  19. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

If looks could kill I'd be six feet under - he hates me!

20. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Poor boy. I hope he gets better quickly and that you're forgiven soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice