Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pooping in his crate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pinklemonade, Jun 25, 2009.

1. pinklemonade

pinklemonade PetForums Newbie

well we got max on monday and he's been a superstar, going outside to pee and poo and getting on fab with out 4 yr old cocker.

however crating him at night is the only think we need a hand with. he crys a little when we put him in at bedtime despite having toys, water, a bed and blankets in there - this is expected and he does settle down and sleep after a wee while.

the last 3 nights however he has pooped in his crate (and the last twice he has eaten most of it bleugh!) we feed him 3 times a day and make sure we take him out to poo before he goes to bed but wanted to know if theres anything else we can do or if its just something he will grow out of with increased bowel control.

thanks

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

How old is your dog, what are you feeding him and what time does he get put in the crate last thing at night. It may help with a answer, lol

3. pinklemonade

pinklemonade PetForums Newbie

he's 8 weeks and he is being fed dry mix from his breeder. his last feed ia usually about 8 pm and goes to bed around 11.

i dont want to get up in the night to let him out unless i absolutely have to - not out of laziness but that i dont want that to become his routine!

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

You could also try bringing his last feed forward a little.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think you do have too.

A puppy of that age cant go for hours on end without needing to go to the toilet. You dont have to talk to him, or fuss him in anyway, just take him outside wait until he goes, then pop him back in his crate.

Messing in the crate is a very distressful thing for a puppy to go through. Once hes older, then you can leave out the late night toilet session.

6. sammyben

sammyben Guest

I agree that you have to get up a few times during the night to let him out. It won't become habit, as he learns to control his bladder for longer then there will be no need to take him out. Our pup is almost 13 weeks and he only started going the whole night (without needing out) last week.

If you only have him on 3 meals a day what time do you feed him at? I would make his last meal between 5 and 6pm. Sammy gets fed breakfast about 7.30 - 8am, lunch @ 12 or 12.30 and then he gets his last meal between 5 and 6pm.

HTH

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Please take him out to the toilet.
    Don't talk to him or give him eye contact, just pick him up pop him out side, wait out there with him, as soon as he's done take him straight back to his crate.
    As Nonnie said it is very distressing for a puppy to toilet in their bed, him mum would of told him not to.
    You wouldn't expect a new born human baby to go all night with out a nappy change, so why expect your tiny puppy to.
    I put both of mines crates in my room so I could hear if they woke. By the time they were 16 weeks they were sleeping in the front room and going all night with out a sound.

8. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Would you refuse to change a small baby's nappy in the middle of the night if it was soiled, because you didn't want to create a "habit"?!

At 8 weeks a puppy has little to NO control of his toilet habits. When he's got to go he's got to go. By refusing to allow it to go out to toilet the only habit you will encourage is the habit of soiling its crate.

9. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Um, you need to get some books :)

It is quite normal for a pup of 8 weeks to need to be toileted at least once during the night. It will not become a routine.

Your pup will not have control of his bladder/bowel until around 6 months, even then you can still expect accidents right up to 9 months.

It is better to get up half way though his sleep time and take him outside to eliminate. Eliminating outside is a routine/habit you do want... eliminating in his crate at night is a routine/habit you don't want.

I would suggest that you bring his last meal forward to 7pm if it's convenient for you. You can do this buy simply feeding him 10 mins earlier each day until you reach 7pm.

Then for toilet breaks take him outside:

First thing in the morning
    Last thing at night before you crate him
    On waking from a snooze/rest
    Soon after eating/drinking
    After play/excitement/guests

Basically at the beginning there's a lot of going outside:

During day:
    @ 8 weeks every hour/90 mins
    @ 12 weeks every 2 hours
    @ 16 weeks every 3 hours
    @ 20 weeks every 4 hours
    @ 24 weeks every 5 hours

During night:
    @ 8 weeks 1 or 2 toilet break divided over sleep time
    @ 12 weeks to 14 weeks 1 toilet break halfway through sleep time if not clean at night

If you do this you will be setting your pup up for success and be able to reward good toileting habits.

Recommended book:

Before and after Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog by Ian Dunbar

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I used to take Logan out every 3 hours in the night (i would set my alarm) take him out without talking to him or switching any lights on as i didn't want to over stimulate him, he would go to the toilet and then i would put him straight back in his crate. He would whinge for about 30seconds then lay down and go back to sleep. By 12weeks he was going through the night without needing to go out, he goes to bed at 10pm and we get up with him at 6.30am. So it really doesn't set the routine for ever it just helps until they can hold themselves for long enough to go through!! HONEST!!!;):)

I have done this with all of my previous dogs and both of my recent ones and have had no problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice