Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pooping 2 inches next to tray

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Simonetta, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Simonetta

Simonetta PetForums Newbie

Hi all we're in urgent need of help. We have three cats (Thor m, Loki f, Mimi f).

We have a big house and three litter trays in the basement. I know we should have one more tray and one on each floor but turning our house into one big litter tray isn't an option. I always thought our cats would go outside to do their business but none of them do.

I also don't think that the location of the trays is an issue because Mimi poops two inches next to the trays no matter if they're clean or not. If we follow her into the basement then she reluctantly poops in one of the trays. This is the most frustrating because she knows what she's supposed to do but only does it when we're looking.

If anybody has any suggestions how to get Mimi to move two inches to the side to use the tray without turning our house into one big litter box then that would be much appreciated.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Simonetta,

Cats like to pee and poo in different places. This is their instinctive nature. 3 litter trays all in one room (the basement) will be to the cats as though you're only providing one toilet for all of them. This is quite probably the reason Mimi is pooing next to the tray.

If it is a very large basement, e.g. a minimum of say 22 ft long x 15 ft wide, you can spread 2 trays out and have one at each end of the room. That would be far enough apart to give the cats 2 toilet spaces.

For 3 cats you need a minimum of 4 litter trays. This is the bare minimum. If you leave the 2 trays in the basement, placed well apart from each other, then you only need find space for the other 2 trays in the rest of the house.

You say you have "a big house" so you should have plenty of space, e.g. odd corners etc where you can tuck away a couple of litter trays, one on each floor. I live in a small 3 bedroomed house myself and I promise you I manage to find spaces to put 4 litter trays discreetly without my house being "one big litter tray". :) My trays are covered ones, which my cats chose when offered a choice of open or covered. If you came to my house you would not even notice the trays unless you went searching for them.

If you are really worried then you could buy a couple of litter tray cupboards/cabinets, paint them black so they are less noticeable and put the trays inside. This is the kind of thing I mean:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/cupboard/608661

You say Mimi knows what she is supposed to do - well yes, you are right, of course she knows. :) I promise you she is not being deliberately annoying by using the floor, but is trying to tell you something is bothering her. She is telling you she doesn't like the litter tray arrangements.

As I say, it is probable she doesn't like all the toilets being in one room. It is also possible she doesn't like pooing in a tray that has pee in it. My cats are the same they won't poo in a tray that has pee in, but go to look for another tray that has no pee or poo in. This is why you need plenty of trays for 3 cats.

When our cats try and tell us something is wrong we must do our best to try and find out what they want. It may not be straightforward to find the answer for Mimi, but with patience and intuition you will get there, I assure you.

Once you have the litter trays moved/increased if Mimi still poos on the floor you can pick up the poo and place it in the nearest clean tray and leave it there for a fee hours. There is no need to say anything to Mimi, or show her what you are doing. Cats have a fantastic sense of smell -- Mimi will soon notice her poo is in one of the litter trays, and she will get the message.

Please let us know how things go. :)

p.s. just to add - some of my cats go in my garden to poo and frankly I would much rather they did it indoors in the litter trays, as the others do. I do not want cat poo in my garden, it smells bad!, Nor would I want the cats using neighbours gardens as a toilet. You can buy litter trays that are suitable for outdoor use, if you prefer them, but they will still need scooping regularly several times a day and your cats will still need some litter trays indoors as well for when they are shut in at night.

#2 chillminx, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    TriTri and Mrs Funkin like this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Just to add what types litter do you have in the trays. Some cats find some litters unpleasant to use.

Is this behaviour recent or long term. If recent then I recommend you visit the vet as going next to the tray can mean that they are funding peeing or pooing uncomfortable and have associated the tray with it. Going in the tray because you are watching may be the fear of your displeasure is exceeding their level of discomfort or dislike of the tray.

If despite changes suggested by chillminx there is no change then a behaviourist would be a good option. You can often get them paid for via your insurance.

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  4. Simonetta

Hi all, thank you so much for your replies! We really appreciate the help.

Our basement is quite small so unfortunately we can't space the trays further apart. We're also unwilling to put trays elsewhere in the house. Please don't judge us but I really love my home and don't want pee and poo smell coming from different rooms in the house. I'm spending enough on diffusers, room fresheners and scented candles as it is.

Ideally we would like all of them to go outside. Anybody got any suggestions as to how we could get them to do that?

Mimi used to be fine using the trays but then we went on holiday 1.5yrs ago she did some protest poops on the floor. Then is was sporadic behavior, now its every time she goes. As she poops next to the tray I don't think the location is the problem. She currently has colitis and as a result pooped on the tiles in the guest toilet and on the marble in front of the fireplace. What all these locations have in common is that they are tiled vs the rest of the house is parquet. I've seen Mimi poop and she assumes a weird position hovering on three legs with one of her front legs pointing in the air. I've never seen a cat poop this way... The litter we use is World's Best Cat Littler and she's fine peeing in it but prefers tiles when it comes to pooping.

Any advice would be hugely welcome!

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Simonetta - I promise you there are no pee or poo smells coming from different rooms in my house, except when a poo has just been deposited and then I remove it immediately and the smell is gone. I find Worlds Best cat litter is excellent at absorbing urine smells.

If Mimi has colitis then I assume when she poos on the floor her stools are soft or loose? Avoiding the tray is a fairly common behaviour with cats when they have loose or soft stools. It is an instinctive hygiene issue for them, not wanting to contaminate their litter tray with abnormal stools. And as she will be in discomfort from the colitis, with a sore bottom no doubt she is associating the litter tray with this pain, poor lass. Cats are very good at making associations between different things.

To get the cats to go outdoors, you need to make a cat latrine in the garden. This means digging over an area in the garden of about 6 ft square, and leaving the earth bare (no plants).

You can take out some of the used litter from the trays to start with, placing it on the latrine so their scent is there. Please note, you will need to keep digging over the latrine at least once a week, to keep the earth loose. Especially important in winter when the earth is frozen.

Also you will need to remove all the poo and bin it, as cat poo takes about 6 mths to break down in the soil. If you leave it where it was deposited, even when it's well buried, the latrine will soon be full up (from a cat's perspective) and your cats will refuse to use it. Believe me I know this to be true!

The other thing to mention is that unless your garden is catproofed or you live miles from any other houses, you will get neighbourhood cats coming in specially to use the latrine. This will put your own cats off using it. So for the exclusive use of your own cats you will need to cat proof the garden so no other cats can get in.

You can buy outdoor litter trays as I mentioned earlier, but they are just as much work as indoors trays,

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/outdoor_cat_trays/588901

The answer to the floor soiling is probably to get Mimi's colitis resolved. Easier said than done, as I know from my own experience with colitis in cats, but the cat's diet is often a major contributory cause of colitis. What are you feeding her? Wet food only I assume, but which makes? The correct diet can make a huge difference to managing colitis.

Meanwhile, as a temporary measure when Mimi has a colitis episode I would put one tray with a puppy pad in it and she may use that instead of the floor or the litter tray with WB. Then you can remove the pad and replace it immediately once used.

I should mention it is quite likely Mimi would not want to poo in an outdoor latrine anyway when she has a colitis episode. First there is the hygiene issue (from her POV) of her not wanting to contaminate the latrine with abnormal poo. Secondly when cats toilet outdoors they feel vulnerable, and added to that Mimi will feel vulnerable when she is unwell with colitis. So chances are she will feel safer pooing indoors.

Encouraging your cats to toilet outdoors to a specially made latrine is best started in the warm weather, when they will be outdoors a lot anyway. Might be a waste of time starting it now Autumn is here and the weather is turning wet and colder.

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  6. Simonetta

Hi Chillminx, thank you so much for taking the time to send such a detailed response. I really appreciate your input, as we are at wits end with Mimi.

Given your description, I think we won‘t go for the outdoor solution, as we have many many cats in the neighbourhood and I don‘t want our newly landscaped garden to be the communal cat loo :)

With regards to Mimi and given all your experience and knowledge, I thought maybe it helps if I quickly describe how we arrived at the point we‘re at today. I should‘ve clarified this beforehand but Mimi pooped on the floor way before she had colitis.

We had two cats already that shared a large litter box when Mimi arrived. We got a kitten tray for Mimi and put it next to the big box in the guest toilet. We never had any issues when we eventually took the kitten tray away and all three cats used one big box. This bliss lasted for several months. One evening we had guests over and made the mistake of taking their box into the basement without showing them where it went. That‘s when Mimi pooped on the floor in the guest toilet first. Totally our fault! She quickly realised we moved the box and then all cats went into the basement from then onwards. Then we had litter box bliss without any accidents for nearly a year. When we came back from holiday 1.5 years ago Mimi started pooping occasionally on the floor next to the tray. We thought it was protest behaviour and she only did it a few times but after a few months it became more and more often. So we hired a cat behaviourist who told us to get more trays. Now we have three big trays in the basement. When we got back from holiday three weeks ago Mimi started pooping on the floor in the guest toilet so now we keep that door closed. That‘s when she started having colitis and had two accidents on the marble in front of the fireplace. I truly believe they were accidents only though because she‘s sick. By now, she only ever poops on the floor in the basement when we‘re not watching. If we’re watching she goes into the trays but we can hardly ever catch her. The cat behaviourist said that pooping next to the tray is a sign that the tray might not be ideal for her so I bought the robot litter tray but obviously she doesn‘t touch it. Also to note, it makes no difference if the trays are dirty or clean or freshly scrubbed. I don’t know if this is relevant but when I come downstairs in the morning she’s usually done two poops and they’re on the floor spaced out as much apart from each other as possible in the basement.

The situation is fine for the other two and Mimi used to be OK with the situation too so I do believe she just got into a bad habit and now I don‘t know how to get her out of it. I fear the next time we go on holiday she‘ll pick up a new stinky habit and probably start pooping on the rug.

I would really really appreciate any insight that you might have as we‘re at wits ends! Thank you so much!

7. Simonetta

I wanted to run a few things by you we are currently considering:

1. line the whole basement floor with tin foil. Apparently cats hate tin foil so that might drive her to use the tray instead?
    2. Space the trays as much as possible apart in the basement. There‘s not much space and we‘ll have to re-arrange our cloakroom,firewood and freezer but it‘s do-able.
    3. Get the training pads you suggested and see if she used them.
    4. Place her poops into the new robot cat litter box and pray that she‘ll get the message.

Do you think any of these will work?

Thanks so much again!!!

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Simonetta, I have heard some cats do not like the Robot Litter tray, possibly they find it scary. However it could well be that Mimi might prefer a different kind of ordinary litter tray e..g an open tray if your current trays are covered ones, or a covered tray if your current trays are open trays. It is possible that the enclosed nature of the Robot puts Mimi off in which case a large open tray might suit her temperament better.

I think this problem needs viewing from the perspective of making it more attractive for Mimi to use the tray, rather than from a perspective of trying to find ways of deterring Mimi from using the floor. For this reason I wouldn't put baking foil on the floor. It is true some cats hate the feel of foil on their paws, but other cats are not bothered. If Mimi or either of the other 2 cats hate the foil it could result in them refusing to go in the basement and use the trays at all. Or if Mimi is a cat who is not bothered by walking on foil then it won't stop her pooing on the foil if she wants to avoid the tray.

It is definitely worth experimenting with different types of tray. If you go for a covered tray do make sure it is tall enough for an adult cat to squat upright, as cats do when they poo. This means a covered tray needs to be at least 46 cm high. If it is not that high it can result in tray avoidance.

I like your idea of reorganising the basement so you can space out the trays as much as possible. What I also suggest is to try and place the trays so they are out of sight of each other as much as possible, as this will give the cats a feeling of privacy when they are at toilet and also that there's more than one toilet in the basement. I wouldn't place any of the trays next to electrical equipment such as the freezer, or the Robot. (assuming the other 2 cats use the Robot) or the Boiler.

If Mimi has never used the Robot even for pee then I doubt that placing her poos in it would make a difference to her behaviour. It's possible she regards the Robot as a resource belonging to either or both the other 2 cats.

If you can make room in the basement for a 4th tray then I would definitely add that, as 4 trays is the minimum number of trays recommended by the experts for 3 cats.

I meant to ask you earlier how old your 3 cats are? And to ask whether Mimi and Loki are sisters? If not, which one came to live with you first? And was Thor with you before the 2 girls?

Kittens happily share litter trays, but as cats mature into adulthood (between age 2 to 3) issues can develop about sharing litter trays. Where there are two females in the home I have known this to be an issue sometimes; it is with my two 5 yr old females even though they are sisters who get on very well indeed most of the time. One cat may subtly block another cat in the home from using the litter trays. It's not something they would do when you're watching. This could be one possibility why Mimi will poo in the tray if you are with her, but not if she's on her own. ( I'm guessing perhaps Mimi is a rather timid cat, at least when compared with Loki. I also think it's possible her colitis could be due to anxiety issues around using the tray. And these may again be related to Loki possibly blocking her. )

The way to deal with a suspected 'blocking of access' issue is to provide more trays, in separate spots. For my 2 girls I have 4 trays, two downstairs and 2 upstairs, and all 4 trays get used every day.

I am not sure Mimi keeps using the floor because she's got into the habit of it. I think there's more going on than that. I have known elderly cats to start using the floor not the tray if they are finding it physically painful to get in and out of a tray due to arthritis, or if they have become forgetful with the onset of dementia. Then maybe it becomes a habit. But as you haven't mentioned Mimi is elderly (I am talking 15 yrs old or more) I assume age is not the cause of her behaviour.

Just a thought - is there a possibility Mimi might have arthritis? Cats can get arthritis at all ages, not just when elderly - one of mine aged 9 yrs old has it. .

Pooing in hidden away places, in corners, or behind doors etc is a sign of a cat being unhappy with the type of trays, the position of the trays, having an upset bowel, or due to another cat blocking tray access.

By contrast a cat pooing in places where the poo is highly visible, e.g . doorways, landings, stairs, hallway, mats, even fireplaces can be due to a cat being territorial and deliberately scent-marking with their poo. This is known as "middening". How does Mimi get on with Loki and Thor? Any signs she is being bullied by either of the other two?

What is the position with regard to meal times? Does each cat have their own separate feeding spot at least 10 ft apart from the others, and do they have microchip feeders so their food resources are safe for them? (Food and litter trays are major resources for cats and highly valued and protected).

Do you have a microchip cat flap so no strange cats can get into the house and upset the apple cart?

I think the next step is probably to reorganise the basement, add an extra tray, and possibly put a puppy pad in one tray to see if this encourages Mimi to use it. Problem with the pad is that if one of the other cats gets to the pad first, Mimi may refuse to use it. But worth a punt I would say. :)

I'll look forward to your feedback. :)

#8 chillminx, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Mrs Funkin and kittih like this.
  9. Simonetta

Thank you Chillminx. I think we‘re really getting somewhere here. I will try to upload a picture of our basement below. 1 is where Mimi poops and 2 is where she poops if she needs to do two poops during the night. Just to note that she just pooped in the tray whilst I wrote this. Hubby and I are high fiving each other. Of course now, she got diarrhoea all over her backside although the vet shaved her bum two days ago. We wanted to wipe her bum but she hates being touched and we don‘t want her to feel like she‘s being punished when she‘s just used the tray. So I lured her with treats into the garden and now she‘s taking care of the situation herself -eugh! BTW, she used the white tray just now. My husband said she prefers the white tray to the red one. So we‘re thinking to take the rim off the red tray to make the access easier for her.

Mimi is a 2yr old ragdoll. She‘s on the obese side and has very short legs. I had the vet do some tests as she can‘t even jump on the kitchen counter. She the most unathletic cat I‘ve ever seen but nothing is wrong with her apart from being fat and having short legs. Also, when she poops she assumes a really weird position, hovering on three legs with one of her front legs sticking up into the air. It doesn‘t look comfortable.

With regards to the other cats, Thor and Loki are siblings (Norwegians) and 5 yrs old. Thor is the king of the castle and Loki is a really timid special needs cat. She suffers from Pika and rolling skin syndrome. We have her on plant based anti depressants as recommended by our behaviourist. Mimi and Thor both bully Loki which is hard to watch sometimes. Thor tried to intimidate Mimi when we first goth her but she’s the kind of cat that doesn‘t take shit from anybody. She adores Thor and he tolerates her neediness. I don‘t believe anybody is blocking Mimi from going into the basement to do her business. Mimi always pees in the trays no problem at all. So if she had arthritis then she would also pee on the floor, right?

I think in general, Mimi might not be the happiest cat in the world. Whilst she‘s a ragdoll, she hates being picked up or touched. We‘re allowed to stroke her every now and then but all she cares about is food. Their bowls are all spaced far away from each other as per recommendation of the behaviourist and that seems to work well. She likes to sit in the garden every day to look at the squirrels but she can‘t get out of our garden because of her short legs.

I‘ll also admit at this point that our relationship with Mimi isn‘t the best. We wanted a ragdoll because our Norwegians aren‘t lap cats but Mimi is not what we wanted. Thor and Loki really love us so it’s hard to have a cat that doesn‘t give a damn about us and then on top of that poops on the floor... We‘ve discussed giving her up for adoption but we fear no one will take her because of her personality. Maybe she would be happier in a home where she’s the only cat? She‘s not a nasty cat that scratches or bites but she‘s not nice either. Anywho, we‘ve taken her on so we feel it‘s our duty to stick with her.

So tomorrow, we will see how we can potentially re-arrange the basement. I‘ll also check to get another tray that provides easy access, maybe with a hood to switch it up for her?

The robot comes with a 90-day money back deal and I‘m thinking about sending it back as none of our cats use it. Probably because they still got their other trays but I‘m apprehensive to take them away given Mimi‘s issues at the moment.

20180826_215636.jpg

10. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

@Simonetta I am reading this and feeling very sad for Mimi. You write about her in such way that even before you said in your last post that your relationship with her isn't the best, that was clear from how you write. I feel quite harsh for saying what I am about to but I think it would be best for all of you if you did did think about rehoming Mimi. You all should be happy and the less happy you are with her, the cycle is self-perpetuating. Would you want someone to try to force you to be nice to them if you knew they weren't really that keen on you? I think cats are incredibly sensitive to environmental factors and I include in that how their owners are feeling. If she has colitis, I think the stress of her worrying about her environment would add to her symptoms and of course, her having loose stools makes you worry more and then she picks up on that too.

On a practical note, I would remove the rim from the red litter tray, our cat doesn't like the lip (even though it does stop the litter tracking so much, I've bought a couple of mini hoovers instead, so I can keep the area around his trays downstairs and upstairs litter free instantly), it kind of scares him as he leaves the tray if he catches the rim on the tray.

I also "live in a big house" - although we do only have one cat. I have a tray in the utility and a tray in the main bathroom. Both have floors which are easy to clean. I am incredibly house proud and I probably clean the trays more than I should do - but that suits me and Oscar just fine. There is never a smell of cat urine, the only time I smell poop is the same as @chillminx says. If I've not got to a poop as he's done it (though he tells me he has and then watches it be removed), it is buried and it's not an issue for the two minutes before we get to it. He will occasionally have an outdoor wee but generally will poop indoors, which I much prefer. I can see how his poop is and I don't have to go digging it up from the soil to dispose of it!

I don't want to be rude - but please please, Mimi is trying to communicate with you that she is unhappy. Have you read any of Vicky Halls' books? There is much in there about cats blocking others from using their resources. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Cats are very subtle animals, it's not all claws out, hair standing on end and yowling. Hopefully things will improve soon, I really think that the easiest way to improve matters is to add a couple of litter trays. I understand it's not what you would ideally want to do but if it makes life more pleasant for Mimi - and as a consequence more pleasant for you all - perhaps it's worth some reconsideration. Good luck.

TriTri and buffie like this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Simonetta, I am pleased to hear Mimi pooed in the tray. (Sorry about the messy bottom! ;))

I think it might be a good idea to return the Robot if no-one is using it. It is taking up the space where another open tray could be put.

Thank you for explaining about Mimi's physical attributes. Hopefully she doesn't have arthritis, but the combination of short legs and being overweight could well make it awkward for her to poo in the tray. This is because when cats poo they squat almost upright, whereas when they pee their bottom is only an inch or two from the ground. So a cat's pooing position requires better balance than a cat's peeing position if you see what I mean. To add to that Mimi, for some reason, keeps one foot off the ground when she poos, so that is making her balance even worse when she poos.

Worlds Best is one of the best litters around for attracting cats to use it, but even so, because the surface of the litter moves when a cat walks on it, or squats on it, a cat who has balance problems may not find it easy to use litter when in the pooing position.

I agree it would be best to remove the rim from the red tray. Then get another couple of open trays.

Then try this as an experiment: in one tray place a puppy pad. In another tray place a thin layer of WB cat litter, just enough to cover the bottom of the tray. In the other 2 trays put the normal amount of litter. Place the tray with the pad in, at Position 1 in the basement and the tray with the thin layer of WB in position 2.

I think it might well help Mimi with her balance/use of tray issues if she could lose some weight. If she is eating dry food I would take her off that, and feed her a low carb wet food only. This change of diet might also help manage her colitis.

Here is a thread on carb quantities in good quality foods from Zooplus, which one of our members has kindly put together for us, maybe have a look at some foods for Mimi...

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

It could be the case that Mimi's colitis is partly or entirely due to a food allergy, in which case it would be useful to carry out an elimination diet to identify the allergies. I am happy to guide you through the process. :)

I shall await your update with interest :)

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  12. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I think in your shoes I would definitely try a litter tray on another floor. If it cured the problem over night, isn’t that worth putting up with a litter tray somewhere in the house other than the basement, so you don’t have to be cleaning up poop all the time? Never mind the fact that Mimi would be far happier too.

We have an upstairs bathroom and a downstairs cloakroom, in a small 3 bed semi. Both of these rooms have a litter tray. Nothing Joey does smells more than anything we produce. In fact, as has been said, often I discover poops I didn’t even know were there as once covered there’s no smell.

Cats have needs too and it’s important to think of their needs in cat terms, not people terms: Cats aren’t inherently naughty, every thing they do has a reason. Why does Joey play with my blinds when he knows he shouldn’t? Because he wants attention, to play, or food. Why did he poop everywhere when he was a tiny kitten? Because he had a Gastrointestinal parasite and he associated his litter trays with pain. Why did he pee outside the litter tray one time? Because my husband was busy cleaning it when he wanted to go!

So why is Mimi not using her tray? I suspect it’s behavioural as has been said: with the three trays close together, and a very sensitive nose, she sees it all as one big toilet area and doesn’t fancy it if any of the others have pee or poop in. Or she doesn’t fancy it as she knows it’s where the others go too.

I’m sure the key is in providing another spot for it: it doesn’t really matter how well they all get along or don’t, if you are sure there’s no obstructing going on. It’s all about Mimi and her toilet preferences. At her age she is just entering adulthood and as said it is then that cats get very specific about these things.

It’s easy to assume that because she gets so close to the tray that the location is fine but, really, what she’s saying is “I know this is where I’m SUPPOSED to go, but I just don’t fancy it mum :(

13. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Just another thought about the style of tray, what about something more shallow for Mimi as she is overweight, with short legs. She might find the higher sides (and hence more litter material) difficult to deal with, with the three legged pooping? I’ve seen on these forums the suggestion of using an actual plastic tray, with shallow sides, then minimal litter. With it being shallow and a small litter amount, it may be easier to clean out after each soft poop too. Might help with her balance as well? Hope you’ve pooped in your tray again Mimi :)

TriTri and ribbon like this.
  14. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Pets at Home have kitten trays in their kitten section which are super super shallow :)

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have been reading this and so far not commented but I have to say something that is eating away at me.
    Mimi has a problem with pooping in the trays/location of the trays for some reason ,the simple and caring thing to do for her is to find a location that suits her needs not yours.
    Surely helping her to be comfortable and happier than she is now isn't a lot to ask.
    I don't mean this to sound harsh but sometimes there isn't a "nice" way to put things .

TriTri, Mrs Funkin and SuboJvR like this.
  16. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I have felt the same tbh @buffie : I think the main thing making me feel that way is that Simonetta has said she really loves her home, not that she really loves her cat! :(

Again I don’t want to be harsh at all. I guess I just went into cat ownership accepting that it would need some compromises on my part. Joey’s love far outweighs the inconvenience of occasionally having a smell to deal with. Same with my husband (LOL ssssh don’t tell)!!!

TriTri, Mrs Funkin and buffie like this.
  17. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Going back through the history it seems Mimi was really comfortable using the guest toilet where she did as a kitten, and she has tried to tell you this - is this not an option?

If you kept a tray in there, and had them in the basement too, I bet you find she would use a bit of both rather than all in one all the time thus when you did have guests she would be able to use another tray eg overnight...

TriTri, Mrs Funkin and buffie like this.
  18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My feelings too,I cant imagine putting material things before my pets happiness :(

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice