Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poop problems

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NickyTommo, Oct 15, 2018.

1. NickyTommo

NickyTommo PetForums Newbie

hey, I have recently posted about my pup Bucky and his unpredictable bowels and we have recently come upon a new issue.
    Bucky is 15 weeks old at the moment and all in all a good dog who does have the shortest attention span in the world.
    Bucky has been amazing with toiletting for over a week now, however something changed rapidly.
    We were sleeping in his room for a while to make him feel safe and be able to hear when he had to go, but recently moved a room away to start adjusting him to the fact that we won’t be able to sleep on the arm chair forever. The first night went great, no pee or poop in the morning, he went out at midnight the last time and at 6am in the morning again, just like he did this past two weeks.
    However, the second day, when we came in in the morning, we found a big pile of poop right by the door, the next day a big pile of poop where his food bowl usually is, and the same again on the following couple of days. We have tried getting up every two hours to take him out, he does poop before bed, we reward him a lot whenever he does his business outside and we also reward him when we come into the room and he has not made a mess. We were thinking it might be the stress of being by himself at night, but he does not bark or whine at all, he only whines in the morning when we come in and clean up, although he doesn’t really need to go except for maybe a quick pee.
    He is not being crated, just kept in a relatively small room for various reasons. We are right outside and even stayed up a couple of nights to see if we might miss some whining when we leave him alone but he seems to be quite calm. He used to sleep through the night, sometimes until 9am, but clearly he is getting up early these days to leave us a package.
    We tried “catching” him before he poops in the room by taking him out periodically during the night, but even if we take him out and he poops at 5am he will still have left us a pile by 6am.

We’re not sure what to do exactly as during the day he asks to be let out by whining close to the door (loud enough that we hear it even if we are nexr door). We are putting on some music for him during the night to stay calm and he has one of our t shirts to have our scent nearby. We’ve been suggested to just stick to the schedule of taking him out the last time at midnight and then again at 6am and he will eventually understand that those are his potty times, but we are also a little scared that this way he will start to think that night time is the time to poop in the house instead of sleeping through.
    We are, of course, also worried that he might not sleep enough this way since he doesn’t seem to sleep through the night anymore but also only naps a couple of hours during the day. We are completely clueless and hope that someone has some advice or at least a similar story so we don’t feel so alone :)

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As he was on a good routine when you were in his room over night I’d be inclined to put a baby gate at the door and try a couple of nights sleeping nearby.

That way he knows you are there as being shut in alone might just be too big a step.

Also, you will hear him stir and can get him outside quickly (no fuss and straight back to bed) to reinforce the routine.

3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Also on this line of things, teach him that you can hear him at night and will respond. Cadvan has had a lot of trouble learning that it is worthwhile being LOUD about needing to go out at night when I'm not awake and/or moving about the house in the same general area as him. He started off just a bit too polite about it all :rolleyes:

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

If it were me I would go back to what works and let him sleep in the same room as you until he settles. 12 weeks is v young and he’s gone through a huge amount of changes leaving his mum, siblings and home. Basically all he knew.
    You may find he only needs a little longer.
    Heidi came to us at 9weeks. Occasional wee accident indoors but poohed outside from day one. I insisted she sleep downstairs and each morning came down to a mess. OH pointed out if she asked I wouldn’t hear plus it was encouraging her to pooh indoors. 3rd night took her crate to our room. Heard her whimper at 3am, took her outside and she poohed. She never stirred at night again.
    I planned to gradually move her crate downstairs but never did.
    At 12 weeks she got cystitis. I put her on our bed with a puppy pad, knowing she’d never make it outside. Bless her, she woke, dashed to the pad and peed a stream. Our bed was bone dry. Considering she hardly used puppy pads I thought it was brilliant. She’s slept on my bed for the last 9 years.
    If it wasn’t for cystitis I’m sure she would have slept downstairs eventually. I think Bucky will too when he feels more settled.

5. NickyTommo

Speaking of crates, we don’t have any experience with that unfortunately, but is it too late to start crate training even though he’s been roaming his room freely for the past few weeks?
    We were looking into the benefits and thought it might actually be quite a good fit for us. He has this box he loves to lie in so he can have some peace, but also it’s carton so occasionally he tries to take it apart as well so it serves as a bed and a toy at the same time
    Anyway, we were thinking that since he really likes staying in a smaller, dimmer place and never poops or pees in his bed, maybe he’d take quite well to a crate and it’d give us a chance to gradually adjust him to sleeping further away without needing to keep him in a locked up room?
    While getting him used to the crate we could go back to sleeping in the room with him so he gets used to being able to wake us up to go outside again?
    It’s such a challenge for us because we have never dealt with a puppy before and don’t want to do anything too wrong

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

All good info in the above posts but, Wow at 12 weeks old I be a bit amazed if he wasn't doing the odd poo overnight if your not still taking him out during the night!
    What time does he have his last feed,? He should be on 4 feeds a day at 12 weeks so how are you dividing that up? May be change the times around.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

A crate is worth a try. Make it an exciting place to be (not a punishment). Not sure I’d want to use it to stop him poohing. More to contain him when you aren’t able to give him attention.
    Is there any way you could put his crate in your room so you would hear him and it could be a bit more long term if necessary rather than you sleeping in the room with him. That way you wouldn’t be rushing his progress.
    After a few months, a well established daily routine and a fully settled pup you could gradually move the crate toward your door and the room you’d like him to sleep. Lots of dogs are happily crated overnight but it has to be a happy place/experience.
    I’m a big softy so cant help thinking how I’d feel if I was anxious, needed to pooh and couldn’t because i couldn’t get out of my bed.
    Rome wasn’t made in a day. Take things at his pace and you’ll reap the rewards when he’s an adult.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. NickyTommo

Oh no definitely, we would make it a happy place to be, also wouldn’t crate him straight away but take some days to see how he would even take to the crate! We would most likely take him next to our bed over night to hear when he cries to go out, but it’s true that the house we are in is quite big and it is quite easy not to hear him if we are a room away and he’s not full on whining, so being able to keep him close to us over night without risking him getting up in the middle of the night and pooping at the other end of the house might help?
    Another reason we thought of the crate is because he gets distracted really easily and doesn’t really want to stay in his bed for too long before something catches his attention, but if he goes into his cardboard box he will happily stay there for extended periods of times without caring whether we are in the room with him or not, so maybe a little den he can retreat to is exactly what he’s looking for?

Mum2Heidi and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. NickyTommo

We are currently feeding him at 7am (it’s when everyone gets ready in the morning so he can calmly eat while we follow our morning routine), at 11am, at 15pm and 19pm. It was working really well for him when he was sleeping next to us because he would have his first poo at 6.30am when we wake up, and his last poo at 11.30pm before we all go to bed.
    Granted we did recently change his food to something a bit more low qualiy because our pet shop didn’t get the deivery for our usual food so we were thinking that that also could have affected his poop schedule I guess?

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  10. NickyTommo

Hi everyone, I wanted to give a quick update on Bucky.
    Despite all the poop problems, we stuck to the schedule we had going (since it was generally a good schedule that he dealt well with before the sleeping arrangements changed), except we pushed the last meal up to 5.30pm, didn’t give him any treatsies afterwards either, put some music in the room with him and even stayed a little bit with him while the lights were off and he was settling in his bed. We left him at 11.30pm and came to check on him again at 6am instead of 6.30am, to find he had neither peed or pooped, was sleeping peacefully in his bed and immediately peed and pooped when we took him outside! As of now he has settled in bed again until 8am and is being very calm by himself in his room!
    We know it’s only one day and we’ll probably have to expect some more over night accidents but when we came inside the room and everything was clean we rewarded him very heavily and felt such a relief! It was like we were still dreaming, an absolute miracle! Can we assume that he might be getting used to the routine and slowly realises we are coming to get him outside in the morning? Gosh, we are absolutely floating on cloud nine this morning!!!

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  11. DaisyBluebell

More likely the earlier last meal, time to digest before last pee outing at night, but take it slowly he is still a very young puppy, but good news.

12. NickyTommo

The earlier meal time really seems to do wonders! It’s the third night of him sleeping through until we get him to go out at 6 without any night time accidents!
    He still has a couple of daytime accidents, usually when we don’t stick to the schedule as strictly as we should, but our Bucky is doing really well at the moment, and runs straight for his potty spot in the mornings to pee and poop instead of relieving himself right by the door :)

13. DaisyBluebell

Excellent news - keep up the good work Bucky boy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice