Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poop or Scab? (kitten probs)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Abbey Marks, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Abbey Marks

Abbey Marks PetForums Newbie

So I recently got a pair of kittens, one being long haired. She’s struggling with getting poop stuck in her fur but the other day she had to have her glands expressed by the vet! He mentioned nothing about this and I didn’t see it until yesterday. I don’t want to try wipe it and pull it off in case it’s a scab! Anybody able to let me know which it is? If it’s poop will it just fall off itself?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Looks like poo to me, but maybe another vet visit and get the fur on her bottom clipped as well. Also what texture is her poo?

3. Abbey Marks

Her poos ordinary texture! They both have healthy poo according to the vet! Would you pull it off?

4. Abbey Marks

It’s rock solid too which is why we thought maybe it’s a scab!

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would soak it. That will let you check what it really is as well, by how it smels

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Abbey Marks - if you can ascertain if it is poo (by soaking it as OS has advised) then do not pull it off, or it will be very painful for her. You either need to snip if off very carefully, or if it is too close to the skin so there would be a risk of cutting her skin, then you'll need to ask the vet to shave it off.

If it is a scab then leave it to fall off in its own good time.

OS asked about the consistency of the poo because poo that is a bit soft is also more sticky and, especially with a longhaired kitty, is more likely to stick to the fur around the anus instead of making a 'clean exit' into the tray.

Also poo that is not firm can cause problems with anal gland emptying and you mentioned the kitten had just had to have her anal glands emptied by the vet.

She is a very pretty kitten btw! xx

#6 chillminx, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. Abbey Marks

Thanks guys! I’m going to get my partner to help me when he’s back from work

8. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I have no idea, but just wanted to say what a beautiful kitten she is!

9. Abbey Marks

Hey all, just wanted to update and if anybody finds this looking for an answer (because I couldn’t find anything) DO NOT pull it off! It turned out to be a scab that is liked to her not cleaning herself properly and became a very harmless infection. Some antibiotic cream and within a couple weeks it fell off and only now has a small one that comes and goes! Pictures as reference

If this happens to your kitten, just call the vet and have them take a quick look

Attached Files:

AnaLola likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice