Pooing blood

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Katie2017, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Katie2017

Katie2017 PetForums Newbie

Yesterday my 4 year old cocker spaniel wouldn't eat her food in the morning so I left it down all day and she didn't touch it. At teatime I emptied abit out and added fresh. All last night all she did was sleep but at 10.30pm she had a bowel movement but majority of it was blood. I gave her a few slices of ham to see if she would eat which she did. Today I have fed her and she has eaten it but up until now she hasn't been for a poo. She is drinking fine and seems her normal self today. Wot should I do??

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Contact your vet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Katie2017

Ye I have I have a appointment later on but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this with their dog

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You are doing the right thing getting her checked out. Its impossible to say what it is on the internet but several conditions can cause blood or bloody diarrheoa. A common one can be colitis which is inflammation of the colon. That can be quite common and can be milder to more severe. Normally you get diarrhoea and mucous as well as blood. Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis will cause blood in the stools too you can also get loss of appetite with that and sometimes vomiting, although she may not be vomiting she may have nausea which would likely account for being off food also. Pavovirus can cause blood and diarrhoea, but if she is vaccinated then that could be unlikely. Foreign bodies can cause it depending on where the blockage or partial blockage may be and sometimes they wont be able to pass stools, perhaps a possibility if she/he is the sort of dogs that tends to ingest things they shouldn't. As you can see there can be various reasons, and likely others too.

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Katie2017

She is update with all her vacancations and she had it about a year ago when I got her spayed and they thought it was to do with the pain relief but when they did some checks it turned out to be a infection in her tummy. I'm hoping to get some answers when I take her later x

6. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Yep, I'd suggest a trip to the Vet. Blood - sends shivers!
    We had 3 long weeks of it when our 'darling' 7mth old EBT pup decided to eat some of his bedding - caused himself to have a good ol' case of Colitis. He managed to pass the fibre, but we still had 3 wks of soft poos, full of mucus and blood (so scary and worried so much as it seemed to go on for ever).
    Haven't had any bowel issues since, other than lots of mucus-covered poos when fed chicken or lamb.
    Maybe give her something light and bland to help her gut: boiled fist & rice for a day or so maybe?
    Hope its nothing serious or long-term. Best thing really is to see a Vet.

7. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Oops! New to this Forum. Hence I'm replying to your question like it was posted today!!!
    Do hope all is well with your Cocker. x