Pooh

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, May 16, 2018 at 4:33 PM.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Not the bear but your poop :D Trust a vegan to start a thread on poop :eek:

I've just been reading this article which was on a plant based forum so thought it might be interesting to share here too

https://theconversation.com/studying-poop-samples-scientists-find-clues-on-health-and-disease-96605

So here in the UK we harbour a more diverse variety of gut bacteria than our friends in the US do :Smug

Some other interesting points from the article

One of the most exciting discoveries was that the greater the variety of plants in someone’s diet, the greater diversity of microbes in their guts. Even more exciting was that not only were the microbes dramatically different between those who ate few versus many plants, but the repertoire of molecules these communities produce varied wildly. The gut bacteria of those who eat more types of plants could breakdown foods using alternate routes of metabolism and produce different types of molecules. This is a big deal because we didn’t think that consuming a variety of plants had a significant impact on the gut. But the data show otherwise.

But we found something even more unexpected and disturbing. We could detect agricultural antibiotics – those fed to animals like chickens and cows – in many people who claimed they hadn’t taken antibiotics in the year prior to their sample collection! This means that antibiotics, used to fatten up animals raised in industrial farming operations, may be ending up in our bodies where they could potentially alter or harm the microbes in our gut. That certainly would be an unintended consequence.

2. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

No surprise regarding the antibiotics. When I worked on an organic farm, one of my jobs was to keep a record of any medical treatments administered, to ensure that the animal products did not enter the food chain until the 'withdrawal' period was up. This 'withdrawal period' is much longer than for non organic - I was horrified to notice that in some cases, products from a non organic animal were allowed directly into the food chain with no withdrawal period at all!! Add to that the fact that it is permitted for non organic animals to receive a lot of 'preventative' medication, and it's not surprising if a lot of it turns up inside us eventually!

3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Vegan.... Not again, please live your life will you and leave me to mine.

Lexiedhb, FeelTheBern and Bisbow like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You don’t have to participate in the threads :rolleyes:

Maybe they should gave a “trigger” warning in the title for those of a delicate nature?

lorilu and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

RPH - I can verify that I am indeed containing far more microbes on my increased plant food diet! :D:Wideyed

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  6. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I don't think your thread title mentioned Vegan.

And I don't have a delicate nature it's just getting boring:Bored

FeelTheBern and Calvine like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s not my thread btw

But it was clear upon opening what the subject was so maybe simply close and avoid?

8. rottiepointerhouse

Is there really any need for you to be so rude Happy Paws? The thread is not about being vegan it is about pooh and gut bacteria, the research was not carried out by vegans or plant based doctors nor was it funded by them from what I can see. If you are not interested in pooh and gut bacteria then please feel free not to participate in a thread which clearly says POOH :(

danielled, Kimmikins, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  9. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I wasn't really been rude, just honest.

10. Matrod

Matrod Slave to an OAP
    Staff Member

Frightening isn’t it :( I don’t suppose people give much thought as to how these things go up the food chain into our bodies. I imagine the same findings would be made in our pets bodies too.

11. rottiepointerhouse

Honest, rude? It makes no difference. The thread was not directed at you, I'm not trying to stop you living your life and I'm very happy living mine. The thread is about pooh, something we all need to talk about more because not talking about it and being embarrassed leads to people not reporting abnormalities/changes and dying of bowel cancer.

Lurcherlad and Happy Paws like this.
  12. rottiepointerhouse

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. rottiepointerhouse

14. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I think possibly the title is warning enough that the topic is not for those of a delicate nature :D

(Unless other PF members, like myself, were slightly disappointed not to find a discussion about Tigger, Piglet, Owl and co...

15. rottiepointerhouse

Perhaps we can have a pooh sticks competition to make up for the disappointment. No double entendre intended :D

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I thought it was Winnie the Pooh and poo.

17. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Don’t like it? Don’t participate. Simple. Nobody is forcing you to read it or join in :rolleyes:

It’s worrying about the antibiotics entering the food chain, I wonder if it’s hastening the resistance of bugs to medicinal antibiotics?

18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

19. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I agree the antibiotics thing is a bit worrying!

An interesting read though. I guess, whatever kind of diet you have, everyone should make sure they are eating more, and a variety, of plants.

20. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

OK...I'm going to ask...
    Why do people say Pooh instead of poo, poop, or any other variation?
    Why do people have to ruin Pooh bears name for me?

-Sobs-