Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poo question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MrsGiggles, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MrsGiggles

MrsGiggles PetForums Senior

so ralph is coming up to 6 months in 2wks and since we have had him he's never had solid poo's, there not runny, just sloppy they have some shape to them but not much, I changed his food after a while when he came home to a wheat free food but they was no change, so then I changed his food to grain free, he's been on that nearly 3 months and still no change, his treats are all natural, so that shouldn't affect him, I've tried stuff from the vet and stuff you can buy what is supposed to be the same as the vets and again still no change, after this bag Iam thinking of trying a sensitive dog food to see if that helps, do you think it's best to have his poo tested to see if he's allergic to anything or wait and see after I try the sensitive dog food,will he ever have solid poo's

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Has the vet tested a sample to see if there is anything medical? Sometimes it's trial and error until you find something that works. If you look at the food indexes here you will see which ones are considered good (and bad of course) and there is an independent dog food comparison website www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk which ranks foods on a scale of 0 to 5. You can add filters for your dog's age, weight etc and so you only see scores of, for example, 4 and above. They can then be ordered by daily feeding cost so you can see what you are paying. If you contact some suppliers they may send you samples to see how you get on.

Another one of the reasons for sloppy poo is overfeeding. In my experience almost all of the foods I have used are a bit 'over' in their feeding guidance. How is your dog's weight and condition?

MrsGiggles and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. MrsGiggles

Thank you for replying.

When I told the vet she just prescribed me the shringe stuff even though I told her that I have tried a few what are supposed to be just as good as what the vets give, the food he's on now is "wolf of wilderness" it looks a pretty decent food,I do mix wet food in too but they are grain free, he's not over weight but i did think of cutting his food back

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd cut back a little on the wet and see if that helps and make sure you aren't over feeding. The amounts on the bag are guidelines and not absolutes.

I had to tweak my Lurcher's dry/wet ratio to sort this problem following Anal Gland issues.

Too dry and he has discomfort passing and too wet they are sloppy ;)

MrsGiggles and JoanneF like this.
  5. MrsGiggles

Ah right, thank you, never thought it could be the wet food what was doing it! Will try that tomorrow

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

yes Bracken can't eat wet food ( he would) because sloppy and wet in the same comes out yuk he is on Simpsons 60/40 venison and rabbit and no problems

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice