Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poo problems on Orijen Puppy - switch food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by RedRen, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RedRen

RedRen PetForums Junior

Hello

Hoping someone will be able to give me some advice RE puppy food. Our pup is 3 and a half months old and currently on Orijen Puppy. He loves it and is doing well on it except his poos are leaving a lot to be desired :D about half the time he is having lovely firm poos and the other half they are very very soft, so soft they turn to mush when you pick them up. Poo pickup duty is really not fun, I'm having to pick up, wipe up and then brush and swill the area :(

He's currently having 65g a day spread over three meals. He was originally on 80g as per the pack but read a lot about over feeding and soft poo so cut back which has slightly improved matters but not much. I've got about a third of a bag left at the moment so I'm wondering if I should try a new food so I can do a nice slow switch over two or three weeks - any thoughts or recommendations? I've heard that Eden and Applaws are good but there's so many choices I don't know which to choose :( I also don't know whether I should just stick to Orijen and hope he firms up over time :D

Any ideas? He is a CKCS by the way and weighs about 2.7kg at the mo so is only small.

2. catchtugchew

catchtugchew PetForums Newbie

Hey RedRen,

Sorry to hear about the unpleasant time you are having picking up poo, it's not the most rewarding job at the best of times. Your pup is still very young at the moment and younger pups tend will have more sensitive stomachs until they grow and develop.

Great to see that you've chosen a premium quality puppy food, so many people do not understand the importance of choosing the right food for their dog's life stage or breed type and think that because the dog will eat it must be good, if your dog is anything like ours they'll eat almost anything!

Like us our dogs are all different and sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to find the right food for your dog. Orijen is a good quality food that contains a large amount of natural meat product however it sounds like your little guy (or girl)'s tum may not be agreeing with it.

I couldn't recommend Applaws highly enough, it's a fantastic product with 75% meat and definitely worth considering. I would maybe think about trying a puppy food that is fish based as this tends to be digested more easily. Fish4Dogs do a fantastic puppy food with 28% ocean white fish. I'll pop a link to it below rather than giving you all the details on it here.

:)

Fish4Dogs Finest Puppy Complete Food 12kg

3. JohnT

JohnT PetForums Junior

I feed ACANA to my youngest, quite small and works a treat, from the same make but less meat. Stools quite solid except when he eats soemthing he steals!:)
    I do put in ttripe as well sometimes as I give a mix to the older dogs.

4. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I'd suggest Acana as well, very similar to the Orijen (and made by the same company) but the meat to fruit/veg ratio is 60:40 rather than 80:20.

We had a similar issue to yours when we tried ours on Orijen. The two youngest were ok on it but the older two had to have such tiny portions to avoid the soft poops that they were hungry all the time.

We now use Acana Pacifica for all of them and they're all doing really well on it. They also get it supplemented with Wainwrights wet trays sometimes (usually the lamb) or a raw egg, natural yoghurt, that sort of thing.

5. RedRen

RedRen PetForums Junior

Thank you for all replies :) I have just ordered some Acana wild prairie to try so will start swapping him over once it comes. Fingers crossed better poo is on the horizon :001_tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice