Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poo on raw

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tiggerwoos, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tiggerwoos

Tiggerwoos PetForums Junior

Just wondering on people's experiences with raw and poo.

Keep trying raw with our cats (pre-made) and for three days or so, poo's appear to be perfect. Small, odourless etc, then after that they seem to disappear.

What are other people's experiences? They all seem to love the raw, but concerned when I do see them in the litter tray for a couple of minutes, looking uncomfortable once they have been on raw each time and I end up having to give them tinned sardines to get them going again. Thanks:)

2. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

When my two boys were on raw, there poo was small tiny and odourless too.

Unfortunately they went off raw so now I feed them food from the Happy Kitty Company.

You say the cats seem to be getting a bit constipated? Which raw food do you give them as I have heard that Natural instinct is quite high in bone which can cause constipation.

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I have heard thst cats need less bone then dogs as it can constipate them a bit.

I'm suprised about NI having a high bone content though.

I think DAF is the best as it doesn't have any fillers added to it, its not imported and its quite honest compaired to other companies.

I find NI dishonest with its labelling they used to label Lamb when it contained a high contents of chicken and charge the price of lamb for it Prize Choice do this aswell which is why I wont use such companies.

All ways check the ingrediants and make sure its appropriate for your cats just because its complete doesn't make it better because its got fancey labelling on it.

4. Tiggerwoos

Tiggerwoos PetForums Junior

Have tried everything premade from various companies. Honeys, NM and NI and is almost like a build up seems to happen. Our two young kittens are doing perfect poos on it, but the other cats seem to end up sitting in the litter tray straining. They all love the raw more than any other food, so really want to keep them on it, but a bit concerned.

5. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Try DAF products you may find it agrees with the older cats more you can also get chunks of meat too Davids Doggy Dinners stocks DAF, NI and MVM

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I can't say I have ever tried DAF products, but have read plenty of reports that cats would not eat them due to poor freshness and quality.
    In my experience, when cats are fed raw from a young age their bowels develop nice strong tone and they produce lovely compact stools without any problems. Older cats which have been fed a dry or poorer quality food for many years will have developed a weaker bowel tone and are therefore far more likely to suffer from constipation, certainly in the early days.
    I would try various supplements for the food...oily canned fish as you mention, a teaspoon of pumpkin or cooked butternut squash, a sprinkle of slippery elm or guar guam, 1/2 teaspoon of duck or goose fat, and adding a good dash of water to all meals. You could also easily add in the odd day of canned food in rotation to keep things moving.
    I do think that some of the ready made raw foods are slightly high in bone content, so I also feed chunks of heart, kidney etc which will loosen bowel contents a little.
    If your cats like the raw I think it would be a real shame to stop feeding it completely just on the basis of constipation.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I hated DAF products as did the cats and the dog. Also I've never found then to be honest about their contents and so am not convinced on completeness.

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Totally agree about DAF. In fact I threw it all out because it was so bad!

9. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Sometimes orders get mixed up but the suppliers are pretty good. I have had some good sucess with DAF and as my dog likes it and its in budget I'd be mad not to.

I have read their ingrediants which I all ways do before perchase and have found them better then some of main stream products out their like NI, Prize Choice and Natures Menue.

The times my orders have been mixed up its been an honest mistake and the problem sorted.

My beef with products like NI, Nutriment, Prize Choice and Natures mentue is that it automaticly becomes more expensive because the packaging and ingrediant. NI has a fair amount of ingrediants in its complete range and a good deal of packaging I'd rather pay for DAF.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

When asked DAF said they couldn't confirm the ratios of ANYTHING in their meats as it depended what came in on the day they made the batches - it can be bone heavy, or without offal. etc. I've never gotten a straight answer out of them. i would be much more wary feeding it to a cat as the percentages have to be a lot more precise with a cat than with a dog.

It might be cheap but you get what you pay for really in this case.

11. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

i make my own raw food now and never have a problem. i find that the cats tend to go to the toilet every other day and it is always firm and odourless. much better than when they eat tinned food

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice