Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poo on fur - sorry

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Polimba, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

My ragdoll cat has an upset tummy, bless her. She has a lot of poo down her fur and I've no idea how to get rid of it. I've never had a long haired cat before, so I'm not quite sure what to do. She occasionally has had this before and we've just sort of snipped it out, but it's really bad this time and she smells quite a bit and I know it's upsetting her. Any ideas???

2. LittleScruff

LittleScruff PetForums Junior

We've had this once before with Bo, our long haired cat. She had a tummy bug and had quite bad diarrhea. We tried using wipes to clean her but in the end we had to bathe her, as the vet told us the bacteria she had could be spread to our other kitty if she wasn't properly cleaned.
    One piece of advice, clip your cats nails in advance!
    We prepared our basin with lukewarm water and put Bo in, in a sitting position whilst keeping hold of the scruff of her neck. We used a special cat shampoo, as human shampoo apparently can dry out your cats skin.
    Keep talking to her and reassuring her whilst you rub the shampoo around her bum. It may be a little sore, so she may not be too cooperative! Bo was not very cooperative throughout (hence the advice above!!) but it is for the best.
    Make sure you rinse all the shampoo out of her fur and keep her inside until she is fully dried.
    Make sure you then disinfect the sink!
    She should be a lot happier afterwards.

3. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

With 2 of my cats having siamese in them i wouldn't want to risk my life bathing them :lol: i brought a foam shampoo made by WAHL called no rinse foam pet shampoo and you just rub it into there coat them dry them of with a towel afterwards. Depends how bad your cat is but may be worth a try if you don't want to bath her.

4. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

why not bathe them on that basis? I bathe Indy on a regular basis and he is super well behaved?! I just clip his claws first and started it when he was tiny.

5. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies. Clipping her nails is a nightmare, the vet has to do them, so I skipped that stage.

I tried the dunking her backside in the sink and it helped a lot. She was better than I thought she'd be and seemed quite relaxed at one point. I don't think she's speaking to me this morning though :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice