Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

pony

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by rockchicky, Jan 1, 2019.

1. rockchicky

rockchicky PetForums Newbie

There has been a pony locked in his stable (the fence in the paddock is too low and damaged ) for 3 weeks now.
    The owners of the paddock haven't seen the owner of the pony for weeks. The pony (when I pass) has never got hay/water in his stable.
    I obviously am not there all the time, so the owner may go, but nothing changes in his stable. the owners of the paddock give him water and food, because they are concerned too.
    I feel guilty because I want to take water to him, but daren't. I am waking up in the early hours worrying and he is on my mind all the time.
    There has been a none statutory note from the rspca put on the fence, but the main part of it is now missing.
    What else can I do. I don't know much about horses but want the best for him.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Whilst being confined to a stable is far from ideal, it won't do the pony any harm, but he must have constant access to forage, (hay or haylage), and also water.

If the RSPCA have already visited once, I would contact them again and tell them the circumstances have not improved. You could also contact the ILPH and the BHS, who can be very helpful in such circumstances.

Are the Owners of the paddock being paid for the pony to graze there and, if they are, why don't they repair the fencing?

3. rockchicky

I believe they haven't paid rent for weeks. There is never hay or water in whenever I have looked. I think the rspca have been twice to him. I have been told to be patient......I looked in today and there was nothing except an empty container (as most days). I have also read not to contact other welfare places if another is dealing with it...

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, the RSPCA do have to go through a procedure to give the Owner opportunity to rectify the situation.

If they have visited twice, they will be monitoring the situation.

If I were you, I would simply keep an eye on the pony, check that he isn't losing weight and give the RSPCA chance to act. If nothing has been done after a while or the pony seems to be losing condition, I would contact the BHS.

In the meantime, you could always take him a few treats, say carrots, to brighten his day a little.

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. rockchicky

thank you - I have been giving him some (not lots though due to weight gain ). He is standing in mud in the stable, poor lad.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is a shame, but at least he does have people looking out for him.

Keep a careful eye on him and would you let us know the outcome?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. rockchicky

Yes, I will do. ...and you're right about staffies (best dogs ever)

Rafa likes this.
  8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh poor pony. I agree that all you can really do is contact the RSPCA and hope they can do something. Good that he has people like you looking out for his welfare

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Do you know if the paddock owner is giving water and hay every day?

If so, I would at least be happier that he is getting daily sustenance.

Imo RSPCA are a toothless lion and don’t act until far too late in the day so I would notify other local welfare groups of the pony’s plight in the hope they step in.

At least then my conscience would be clear that I had done my best.

10. rockchicky

I think they go most days, but not 100% sure. I will give rspca a bit more time - I won't let it drop though until I know he's getting better care and welfare.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

You can also report to the world horse welfare who can investigate

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. rockchicky

thank you - they are my next port of call if rspca don't do much

13. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Thank you for showing concern for this pony, and for trying to do something for it.

All animals need someone to be their 'voice' cos they can't ask for help themselves.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I have heard good reports about the BHS where horse welfare is concerned.

I would give the RSPCA another week and, if nothing has changed, contact someone else.

15. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Hi, how lucky that this pony has you to look out for it. IMHO the RSPCA do not seem to respond very quickly. I would definitely get in touch with another welfare group, I can't see the harm in having multi options for the poor chap.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

How badly is the fence broken? It seems you know the paddock owners? They are in a better situation legally to do something about this pony tbh. Who put him in the stable? Surely they have the owner’s contact details that they can contact the owner, or give the details to the rspca. There being a notice on the gate makes me think that isn’t so, it’s normally something they’d do about an abandoned animal when they don’t know who’s responsible for it.

Someone abandoned a pony on a livery yard I was on, they were given the chance to come get him, or pay his livery, when they didnt, the landowner was allowed to claim him and he had him put down, as he was lame from an old tendon injury.

Of course you can contact other welfare groups. Most people do tbh.

#16 Elles, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. rockchicky

Hi - the owner seems to have sold the pony to a young girl (she has other horses and works with them too). I went yesterday to see him and he was tethered outside the stable and she was grooming him. We had a chat about the pony. I have just been to see him now, and he has straw on the floor and a hay net and water and his mane and tail have been cleaned. The owner , I believe, didn't want him after the RSPCA went...so I did the pony a massive favour. Things are looking up for him. He isn't allowed out yet as he escapes after the mares in surrounding fields, but she is going to get him sorted and then put him in with hers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice