Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ponderings - on where do your dogs sleep

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was surprised to see how many dogs sleep IN the bed. Although I have one on the bed I am not keen on it and would not have a moulting dog in the bedroom.

Anyway it made me think. The majority of people are clean and tidy. As a nation and even as a species we are quite fastidious in our habits. How did it come about that we allowed dogs in our homes and even in our beds when, with the best will in the world, they smell and shed hair.

We have friends who are not in the best of health and have 2 elderly dogs who do not go through the night any more and frankly their house and car are gross. I cant imagine how anyone who does not like dogs can bear to walk through the door because of the smell and as for the coating of dog hair on all the furniture!

Just ponderings, but in this day and age where children are not allowed to do anything in case they pick up bugs I do wonder how dogs are such accepted members of the family and how it came about in the first place.

I suppose though that cigarettes are another antisocial habit - how did it come about that smoking became accepted. Not so long ago it was an evening habit for men who changed their clothes and did not smoke in front of women.

2. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

Luckily ours don't smell. Though with 3 of them all shedding the hair gets everywhere, even in rooms they don't go in, so even not letting them go somewhere doesn't save it from the clouds of white fluff :rolleyes:

3. Tash

Tash PetForums Member

I think it's a bonding thing? I mean, I know that there has probably always been a strong bond between man and dog but nowadays a dog is just another member of the family. I definitely think more and more owners tend to spoil their dogs more and more and quite rightly so. :D

Benji used to jump up on my bed (luckily he doesn't really shed) but lately he hasn't done. I worked this out because I used to sleep with 3 pillows under my leg and he loved the contact with his side or back against the pillows but now they've finally gone, he hardly ever comes up on the bed. Quite thankful for it really, I get the bed all to myself again!

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Dan sleeps in a crate in our bedroom, Tummel sleeps on the bed and has done since he was 8 months old. They both shed and both smell so any non doggy clothes get kept in the spare room.

I can't imagine not having my dogs in my bedroom, this way I know where they are and what they're upto, I don't have to worry about a fire occurring and not being able to reach my dogs, or burglars etc :eek:

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Pfft... kids are far dirtier and take longer to potty train than dogs and I still let them in the house...

I'm a farm kid, I grew up with a pitchfork in one hand, sandwich in the other. I keep the house clean, but a little dog hair or dirt isn't going to freak me out.

We have dogs in the bedrooms, not in the bed because there is simply not enough room for my comfort, but the kids both sleep with a dog, and their sheets wash pretty easily, it's not a big deal.

Our house doesn't smell, folks are always commenting on how weird it is that we have all these dogs (used to be four until recently) in the house and it doesn't smell like dog. Most of that is IMO the dog's health and feeding. Healthy dogs on a decent food don't smell "doggy". (Unless they roll in coyote poop and then they smell unbearable.)

I've been to houses with no pets that offend my nose far more because they use those spray things that make the whole house smell like fake apples or whatever? Ugh that stuff bothers my nose!

#5 ouesi, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dogs sleep on the bed with me most of the time. Sometimes Kite sleeps on the floor for a while when she gets too warm, or Ziggy jumps off for a scratch and can't get back on by herself - there's a piece of vetbed down for her then. In winter they can come under the duvet when cold. They don't shed much and don't smell that I'm aware of. Before I had dogs, my cats slept on the bed and they made a lot more mess, coming in at all hours sopping wet and muddy - and once leaving half a dead rat on the floor for me to wake up to!

I started having Ziggy in the bedroom as a timid, previously-abused rescue dog to help bonding, and also because she could easily get me up to let her out if need be (she had colitis when I took her on). Kite was much easier to house train as a pup if she was sleeping beside me; as soon as she stirred it was outside, quick.

The only downside for me is wondering how to make room for number 3!

7. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Millie is cleaner than some humans ;)

After any wet/ gritty / offlead walk I rinse her with warm water in the shower. This includes giving her a brush down with a Zoom Groom.

OK I have even been known to use an old toothbrush to clean mud from the under side of her nails :eek:

She is single coated so this with her regular rinses/ brushing means minimal hair in the house.

Sheets are changed every Saturday and the whole house hoovered twice a week.

I like to think my house is clean / tidy - Certainly doesn't smell of 'dog'.

I really like having Millie on or in our bed - It takes some effort to keep things clean but its worth it.

There's plenty of people who will never understand the true love and companionship of a dog.

#7 Milliepoochie, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Flamingoes likes this.
  8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I always wanted mine to sleep downstairs. I hated dogs in the bedroom; I hate most of the noises they make, panting, whining etc.. but OH had other ideas, he liked having his dog, Benjie, sleep on the bed, I didn't cos Benjie sheds ridiculously and he's a big dog.

But then we got Louie. I still didn't want Louie on the bed, but I had no choice, OH's bedroom at the time was tiny so Lou ended up on the bed - he always slept in the passage way at my parents.

But then when OH went into the army, it was nice having Lou around. When I moved into our house, without OH, I just had Louie. I made my bed ready to get in it, settled Louie in the kitchen and after half an hour, brought him upstairs. And thats where he's stayed ever since. He's my security blanket, sounds daft but I couldn't sleep without him on my bed.

Then Pen came along. It was only in the past 6 months she's started to creep under the quilt but she only stays there a short time. The only annoying thing about her being under the quilt is her trumping! I like to snuggle under my quilt but she'll sometimes let one off :lol: No worse than a man I suppose though.

I change my sheets every 2 weeks and the dogs do have a quilt topper on top of my quilt to stop some of the hair and muck. IMO, my bedroom doesn't smell, but it probably does.. but no one else but me and the OH and the dogs go in there so there's no issue..

9. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Pfft I do not need my dogs to sleep in my bed, on my bed or even in my bedroom to have a great "bond".

My daughter is part of my family, she never slept IN my bed, ON my bed or in my bedroom.

I certainly do not think it is "right" to spoil dogs or humans.

I can't imagine having my dogs in my bedroom (apart from when I am in hotels etc)

I know where my dogs are in case of fire (plus I have two smoke alarms to alert me to the event and my house is so small I can always reach them)

I know where they are in case of burglars (downstairs where they can deal with them) ;)

As for knowing what they are up to, well, when I am asleep I have no idea what they are up to whether they sleep with me or not and, AFAIK my dogs sleep at night.

What other people choose to do with their dogs is up to them.

I am with my dogs so much I like to have a dog free zone in my bedroom and bathroom.

Nothing to do with germs, bacteria or anything else.

They have their beds, I have mine. :)

I change my bedding weekly.

And I certainly do not think love can be measured by where your dog sleeps. ;)

Firedog likes this.
  10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Bruce sleeps on my bed but doesn't shed and is popped in the shower once a week. I'd love to have Flynn sleep there too but one) he'd get far too hot and prefers the cool floor and two) the Mals aren't allowed upstairs anyway. They shed practically all year round and its not just normal shedding either. Upstairs is the hair free sanctuary from the Mals, although their hair still gathers like tumbleweed and floats up there somehow. Lots of people have their Mals on the bed and I just know what they sleep in, lol.

I have to admit that if a child came up to me with a snotty nose it'd make me gag but there's is nothing I can't deal with as far as the dogs are concerned, doesn't phase me at all. I think its lovely sleeping with your dog if that's what you like, we have hoovers, washing machines and showers and can handle the cleanliness side of it. My mum would never even dream of letting our family dogs upstairs and even pups had to 'cry it out' downstairs til they settled. Pups of mine though have always slept upstairs, even the Mals until they settled in.

I know what you mean about smelly houses though, some of our friends homes stank of dog, even on dry days and I'd hate that. Luckily our little ones are bathed often and Mals are known to be odourless, so were pretty lucky that we don't have 'doggy smelling' dogs.

11. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

All I know is that it takes a lot of hard work cleaning up after my 3 dogs as it is without letting them on the bed. In the daytime they are in the kitchen(slate floor) and garden and their baskets are in the kitchen for night time. Their blankets are covered in hair (even though I shake them every day or so) and smelly( even though I put a waterproof cover over them when the dogs are wet). I couldn't imagine having this on my bed. In the evening they come into the living room where they lie on an old single quilt which I can wash and it is easy to pick up from the floor if we get visitors or during the daytime when the dogs are out. This quilt is hairy and grubby which just goes to show that without it all this would be going on the carpet. The quilt also helps to cut down on the amount of vacuuming I need to do. I do not think allowing a dogs on the furniture/beds equates to how fond you are of them. My dogs are usually so muddy and stinky from good off lead adventures that they are not in a fit state to come into the rest of the house until they have dried off a bit and got rid of a bit of mud all over my kitchen units ;)

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I do not let my dogs upstairs at all.

The dogs walk through their own pee, have walked across fields with pooh in . To me it would be like putting your dirty shoes on and jumping all over the bed :confused:

I am not a clean freak by any stretch of the imagination but no thanks.

My friends sleep with there cat on their pillows , the same cat that just took a s**t in it's litter try and had a dig around in it . YUK .

#12 Pointermum, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  13. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

My dogs also occasionally pee on each others' heads when they are all scent marking and sniffing at the same spot. This morning I caught two of them eating sh*t and then they all came home to eat stinking raw meat - put that on my bed - no thanks ;)

14. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Enzo often pee's on Shelby when she is sniffing something he needs to sent mark :rolleyes:

15. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

If the dog came into the bedroom let alone the bed I would be hung drawn and quartered!

My Husband has OCD with hygiene and cleanliness.

So its a constant struggle to keep things clean to his standard.

Love there is dog drool on the tv stand, the table and dvd player. "WHERE?"
    Righhhhht there look!

I have to sqwint to see it!

Can you mop the floor, clean the cuboards and wipe the dogs face after he has been eating that half a pigs head in the garden?

"sigh.....ok dear"

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Since I moved and am sleeping downstairs, Ferdie sleeps next to my bed. I bought them both huge dog mattresses but Ferdie won't have anything to do with them so I put one on top of the other and Diva loves to sleep on them. They don't go on the bed because they simply don't climb and that is the cat's place. When we had our little mongrel my husband was so in love with him he used to let him in the bed, which I didn't like because my side got covered in dog hairs.

As to visitors not setting foot in the house if they are not doggie people, well that suits me fine. I have a couple of non doggie friends who put up with it because they want to see me and they like the dogs. Anyone else can go do the other thing.

I think with smoking, during the war and in the fifties and sixties almost everybody smokes so nobody noticed the smell. You don't if you smoke. I went to see a house for rent last week that said "no smokers" but the landlady opened the door with a fag in her mouth and the place reeked!

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Does he also have a problem with wealding a wet cloth? Sorry but he would be told in no uncertain terms that since he is the one who doesn't like it, he can be the one to clean it.

Flamingoes likes this.
  18. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

Nicky sleeps on the bed and Tig sleeps in his own bed at the bottom of my bed. :)

19. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

My dog sleeps downstairs,

If it's a particularly cold night we will let him under the covers in the morning for a quick heat.

You could probably say he's spoiled etc. and of course whilst he loves getting the heat with a thin single coat he doesn't need it- if we tell him, even softly to go to bed, he'll go back downstairs.

It's more of a treat and he doesn't seem confused or expectant about it if he doesn't get it- probably because for the first year or so I never let him in the bed- only happened when heating broke in a really severe cold snap in old single glazed flat...

When i'm out of the house I know he sleeps on the bed sometimes, I don't mind, there's a big suntrap on there and if he's happy/asleep so am I, if I was to shut the door he wouldn't be bothered.

My dog has a thin coat, doesn't shed that much and is clean- my husband and I are also fairly hygienic :D . The dog has also has retained a lovely puppish scent- had I a different dog who was much more high maintenance in that respect or who smelled naturally more pungent I would defo rethink this from the get go.

I have a dog to enjoy him, he doesn't add to my workload, my house smells nice so why not...

20. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Loving this (bold) and yes, I know where my dogs walk, and what they do, I hope my personal hygiene is of a higher standard than theirs.......... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice