Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pond Care

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Little-moomin, May 12, 2017.

1. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Hi all,

I have a small pond that I created by hand about 5 or 6 years ago. It's small, about 2 by 4 foot, if that. Perhaps a foot and a half deep.

In the first year I put some tadpoles in, and now every year, with virtually zero maintenance, the frogs and toads and newts spawn naturally which is fab as I know the pond can't be doing that badly.

However there is alway loads of duckweed floating about, covering pretty much the entire surface area. Do I need to get rid of these every now and then? I really want to expand the pond but don't know how without ruining it.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I had duckweed on my wildlife pond and when it froze in the Winter I lifted the sheet of ice off (containing 99% of the DW) and checked under a shrub away from the pond. Then I just had a few stragglers to sieve out. Stayed clear since then, so far.

A bit won't hurt but if left it will multiply and block out all the light, so any beneficial oxygenators might die off.

Autumn is the best time to maintain or renovate a pond as breeding season is over and everything will be getting ready to hibernate but still active so less likely to be disturbed or harmed.

I netted all the frogs, etc. and stored them in a bucket temporarily to keep them safe.

Satori likes this.
  3. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Yes, you really need to get rid of it regularly. The only safe way is to drag it out with a net. I hate that stuff with a vengeance It is a absolute pain. We use a net on a long handle and skim it once a week. I would fill in my pond in a heartbeat tbh if it weren't for the froggies and our summer visitors. We get a lovely pair of ducks in summer who visit the garden for a couple of hours every day and they always start their visit with a little bath.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I love my ponds! :)

5. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Thank you guys! I will have a go at sorting in the autumn then.

I love my pond too, I want one where I live in London!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I have a little pond, it's been here since I moved in 22 years ago, every year we get frogs and spawn, every year but two, the spawn has produced froglets. The pond is covered in duck weed that rarely gets cleared because of the pond snails.
    I actually believe that duck weed helps to keep a small pond from getting too warm and helps prevent evaporation. Natural ponds don't get cleared and survive just fine most of the time ;)
    I did actually clear a bit of the duck weed last winter because it was such a warm winter that it never died back properly

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

When you remove weed, always leave it on the side of the pond for a day or so to give all the mini-beasts the chance to get back in the water.

Lurcherlad and HarlequinCat like this.
  8. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I have a lot of duck weed on my pond, brought in by the Grey Heron who ate all the fish, it's now just a wildlife pond & has Common newts with young ones, frogs, but never any spawn, why I don't know & lots of pond mini beasts. I use a net to clear the weed out regularly but never can get rid of all of it.
    Last time I cleared it, I left the weed at the side so the mini beasts could escape, looked out of the window & saw a Robin, a Wren & a Blackbird happilly slinging the weed all over the place & catching the creepy crawlies for food. I never realised they would go for pond life.:eek::D. I hope some beasties did escape, but at least some birds had a nice feed.:D

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Newts eat Frog spawn. If you see frog spawn, take it out into a bucket and rear them there until too big for the newts to eat

Valanita likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I pick off the Saw Fly larvae from my Solomon's Seal and any Vine Weevil grubs I find in pots and put them on the bird table. I don't like killing them, but aiding the birds is OK ;)

HarlequinCat and Valanita like this.
  11. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

The frogs never spawn in the pond, Rona. I think they just use it to chill out & probably go a few doors down to mate.:D

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice