Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pomerian can't stand up

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BeaglePerson, Jul 18, 2009.

1. BeaglePerson

BeaglePerson PetForums Newbie

Hello. My sister's pomerian as of last night can't really stand on her own without shaking. She's eating and drinking fine, and she tries to sit up but falls down. When she walks she very stiff. Answers are apperciated.+_+

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Erm..I would have taken her straight to the vets!

3. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Doesn't sound too good - I'd be at the vets

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

me too................. did she take a knock?

5. BeaglePerson

I guess. We just got new hardwood floors and she slid and possibly bumped something. My sister and I have been with all night and morning and she's progressing slowly. It could just be a stiff back,but her legs are a little limp.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

VETS!!! NOW!!

She could have suffered a spinal injury. Id have been at the emergency vets as soon as i noticed a problem.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

you need to get her to a vet NOW she may have damaged her spine!!!!

8. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

agree. i'd have been at the vets ages ago!

9. BeaglePerson

Well thank you, all of you. But we have been keeping my sister's Pomerian under special care and she is slowly recovering. She just slid into the wall, she didn't fall off a cliff. But rest assured that if things do get bad, we'll take her to the vet.+_+

10. Id of still taken her to a vet. But then i treat my pets in the same way id treat my children if they had hurt themselves. Well they wouldnt go to the vets:D But you know what i mean

11. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

As a pom owner and breeder myself, I think you would be better getting her to a vet at least for a check up they are not as hardy as they may look. I had a pup break a leg by misjudging getting over the lip of the back door, she may seem as though she is coming round from it but poms can go down hill extremely fast. I also know of a pom who took a knock similar to what you are saying, he ended up being put to sleep as he started having fits months later it was found that he a peice of skull bone floating on his brain.

please take her for a check up hun.

take care
    Sarah

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

please get her to the vet asap, the longer your sister leaves it the worse the prognosis could be

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I would take her to the vet asap.

I'ms sure Sarah (pommum) will agree with me when i say Pomeranians are the most fragile breed (which is kind of why we didn't buy one, because we have Dante) So yeah she might've had a fall, like you say but that fall could've really hurt her bad and you probably don't know just how bad.

I would take her to the vet now.

14. BeaglePerson

Well for your information, the pomerian may have suffered a mini stroke and could have possibly just fallen. But taking her to the vet wouldn't have done anything.+_+

15. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

You came on here and asked people for advice, we all gave advice and you are coming across as quite rude in your reply's to people, if she has suffered a stroke then a vet would be able to tell you for certain if this is the case but as you don't seem to want to take the advice you asked for, I will no longer post on this thred as I don't want to next find out that something much worse as become of this poor pom beciase you wouldn't take the poor little thing to a vet.

Enough said.

Sarah

16. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

Taking her to the vets would've given you an answer and would've meant you would know if there was anything more serious happened.

The smallest slips can cause major trouble.

We have given you advice, whether you take it or not is up to you, but I personally would've wanted to check my dog was ok as opposed to just assuming because you don't think it would do anything.

But, as I said its up to you. Lets just hope in the near future you don't find out something is very wrong that you could've prevented by one visit to the vets

I wish you all the best anyways

17. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

of course it would!! my dog had a stroke they put her on vivitonin & she lived a happy life for another 5yrs! or if she has injured herself falling as Nonnie says she could have spinal injuries!!!

basically tho you dont know whats wrong with the dog! its having trouble standing & its shaking!! she needs a vet Now!!

18. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

If you believe the vets wouldnt have made a differnce, even it was just for peice of mind, then maybe you should not keep animals.

19. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

very well said Celicababe.

And yes if you're going to be rude don't blame US if the dog suddenly is paralysed because of what you call a 'small' fall.

And it was a stroke, then that can't even be good for a dog anyway so you should take her to the vet anyway!

But of course that is my opinion.

Now you came to the forum to ask for help. We've all given it to you, especially Sarah who BREEDS poms and knows a helluva lot. If you can't take the advice, and are going to find offence in everything people are saying to you, please don't post.

That's all i am going to say to you. I hope your pom survives what you call a 'tiny' fall or 'mini stroke'

pommum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice