Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pomeranian

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Goldline, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Goldline

Goldline PetForums Newbie

Hello

My dog Sam is 10 months old now. He is my first dog, a Pomeranian. I'm a cat person. We had dogs when I was younger but my dad took care of them, trained them, etc ...

Anyway, I made the mistake of treating him like a cat, who are easy to train and I spoiled him way too much!

He's had table food because he was so picky, I had given in (now he eats dog food only). A friend told me to train him on the peepee pads and now it's a nightmare to teach him not to pee on a rug, etc ...

His personality: he's a very happy dog. He loves other animals, cats, dogs. He loves kids, women, anybody really :) He can play rough but if I tell him to calm down, he does.
    He clearly loves me. When he wants something he "sneezes" (yes I know, weird lol).

Where I'm at:
    - I walk him in the morning and 2 or 3 times in the evening and praise him when he pees outside (he knows "promener" and "pipi" which means lets go for a walk and lets go pee).
    - He eats his dog food (sometimes if i don't pay attention he steals the cat's bowl)
    - He walks fairly well on the leash but gets distracted if he sees another dog or a kid, or anyone for that matter. He is VERY friendly, gets along with everybody.
    - He doesn't really bark (unless someone is at the door or if he sees something he wants, like playing with another dog then he goes berserk!). But no barking "just because".
    - I tried off the leash he will NOT listen to me at all. Nightmare, about got run over by a bicycle! Back to leash.
    - If i raise my voice, he'll get on his belly. But only indoor. But actually I dont yell at him, I say "oh! no no no" but not yelling.

What I'd want:

- Him to pee outside all the time
    - Him to listen when I call him

That's all. Don't care if my dog sits or not, give the paw, etc .. just want him safe, imagine if he runs toward a big mean dog ... :cursing:

I can't afford training. I got Samie and a couple months later I was unemployed. Now I'm working but still can't afford a trainer.

I'd like to start with one or two simple command to begin.

I'm a cat person but I'm in love with my dog!

Thanks!

PS: I am out of the house for 10 hours when I am at work, I don't think I can crate him for that long, would like your imput. Would a big kennel with a pad be ok? Or would we be back to him thinking he can pee on the rugs?

#1 Goldline, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Does someone come in and let him out while you're at work??

3. Kerrie

Kerrie PetForums Newbie

Hi

It sounds like you need to go back to basics with the recall and toileting outside, the worst thing to do with a Pom is to spoil them as they become dominant therefore they feel when your out they are protecting you hence the reason he doesnt listen to you or roll on his back outside.

Work on recall in the house with him one side of the room you walk to the other side of the room, call him then when he comes give him a treat when he has learnt what your doing go into a different room and call him do this a couple of times until he gets it, he will associate you calling him with a treat. Then with him downstairs go upstairs and call him just gradually get further and further away this will also be a game for him to find you. When he does it perfectly inside do it in the garden. When hes got that go to a quiet place in the public (i.e. a park but with limited distraction) and keep giving him the treat every time he comes. You eventually want him to come on the first command but at the beginning he will no doubt be stubborn and not come until 2 or 3 times of calling him but never 'punish' him by shouting whenever he comes back he gets a treat as he has done what yu want. Hopefully he will establish you calling with a treat al the time and if you want you can then wean him off the treat by giving lots of praise.

To get him to go outisde to go toilet you wil need to be there alot more if your not there to correct him he doesnt know what hes doing wrong (seems unfair for a dog to be alone 10 hrs a day) and he cant be crated for that long all day every day. But you will need puppy pads and keep putting him on the puppy pad every hour or so to try to get him to go toilet and when he does give a work "Pee" and give him a treat then next time when you put him on the pads say "Pee" and if he goes give him another treat he wont need to go every time but just put him on there every hour so that you can praise him when he does go pee. Theres no way you can train this without being there the Pom wont learn it on their own in his eyes hes doing nothing wrong becuase hes not being corrected as you not there and its too late to tell him 6 hours later because he wont know what your telling him off for.

Hope it goes well.

4. Goldline

No, I live alone. That's why I feel it'd be wrong to leave him in a small crate for so long.
    So I thought about a big crate where he would have enough space to move and maybe have a pad (puppy pen? After all he's 10 months). The only thing I don't know if that would pass the message that it's okay to pee in the house.

He's very smart, small dogs are said to be "dumb" and thats not true.

5. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Apart from the fact that 10 hours is far too long to leave a dog alone anyway, you are going to have a job teaching him to be clean...

Can't you pay someone, a dog walker maybe, to come in at least once a day to let him out/play with him?

What about a relative/neighbour?

6. Goldline

Sorry i meant he gets on his back belly up.

ok, I will try your advice.

I feel uncomfortable giving my house keys to a stranger.

Samie protecting me i totally believe you but that's funny thought, he can be such a wuss, if he sees something weird on the sidewalk he growls at it lol

PS: Im soon to move in my new apartment, 5 min from work, I can walk him during my break. So he'd stay in the crate for 4.5 hours top.

My boyfriend says he used to leave his dog all day in the crate but I wouldnt do that to myself so why to my dog ... I feel a bit of jealousy :)

#6 Goldline, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Goldline if you don't want a stranger to loook after your baby find a friend or relative to take him out of his pen once in a while.

Also, if you really want the pup to pee outside more you really need to make sure he goes out every so often and praise him everytime he does something outside, that will encourage him to go outside more than inside.

second of all with the recall you will have to go to basics again.

Make him sit down and walk a small distance away and call him and when he does listen to the command come, reward him with a treat.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Why would you get a pup and leave it for 10 hours? It seems very selfish to me, I could understand if you got a rescue, whose life you could have made a bit better, but a pup.....?

Dogs are pack animals and when they are left for too long without their pack, they develop behavioural problems.

I only hope you move apartments soon.......

9. Goldline

Because life happens, 13% unemployment in my state, my landlord lost the house to foreclosure, I lost my job. I fought to keep my pets, I found another job, I'm looking for a better living arrangement.
    Samie was given to me, I didn't buy it (he's not a pure breed).
    I understand your point but it'd be unfair to "dump" my pets at the pound because I lost my job and it'd be easier without them. My pets never went hungry, I did.
    Some people don't care, they dump their pets in the woods (my neighbor found his dog in a locked crate in the woods!! Poor thing!! She about died). I do care. I'm new to it, I'm willing to train my dog, willing to go back and forth at lunch, willing to spend more money on rent, so I want to say give me a break here :)

Anyway, I walk him as much as I can, yes. He's always been walked, I didn't praise him for peeing outside for a long time though. He goes out 3/4 times a day. Long walks when I am off.

I am alone in Rhode Island, it's just me, my family is abroad.

I should have specified that he does pee on his pads, I got told it was a bad thing to do, using pads so I removed the pads.
    When I praise him with the word "pee" he's happy to be praised for it. Should I get the pads back though?

Yesterday I also started the "sit" command, I read your comments and seems like Sam need more structure.

Like I said, I am willing, I am listening, I am doing. Maybe Sam won't be like a show dog but like I said my priority is for him to be safe. I'm sure you think "wow, mistake!", just correct me when I do wrong, that's why I'm here.

Alright! Time for his walk, I'm off and we are off to the bike path :)

#9 Goldline, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. Goldline

Update: today Samie asked to go out, he peed outside and pooped too! And it was in the morning :) Coincidence? I don't know yet.

Last night he stole the cat's bowl again but it was my fault, I stepped out of a min. It's plastic so he can carry it away from the cats.

I started the "sit" command and last night he sat when i said it (I had a treat in my hand though..)

He doesn't do good yet with the call command.

PS: I visited the apartment and there is a huge park in the community, cats and dogs allowed for a small fee!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice