Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pomeranian smelly fur

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CelesteSpaniel, Jun 22, 2019.

1. CelesteSpaniel

CelesteSpaniel PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

My Pom, Pumpkin, used to have a really nice natural scent to his fur. It was nice like a teddy bear kind of smell (not really sure how to describe it!).
    But, for about six months or more, his fur smell makes me nauseous! It smells like a mixture of outdoor smell, with a hint of garbage.

I can temporarily remove the odor by bathing him. But, it slowly returns within a few days

Here’s some information on him:
    He’s 5 years old, neutered.
    He doesn’t roll around in anything, or scratch or scoot his bum. His ears smell the same as the rest of him, so I don’t think he has an ear infection.
    He’s had the same food his whole life, “Brit” brand (though obviously the puppy variation when he was a puppy)
    He doesn’t eat anything he shouldn’t (like garbage etc.)

He seems perfectly healthy otherwise.

I have already been to the vets about this, but they can’t find anything wrong, and just tell me not to worry about it.
    But, I can’t even sit next to him without feeling sick from the smell!

If anyone knows what I can do to get his nice smell back, I’d be very grateful!

2. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Not sure what to advise tbh, I have a Pom but she’s 13 1/2 and she doesn’t have the best smell these days but she’s old and it’s the typical old dog smell. I’ve heard groomers use a cologne for dogs, maybe you could try some of that.

CelesteSpaniel and Calvine like this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes, my neighbour used to buy an anti-odour shampoo for her dog and when I had a curly-haired dog, the dog groomer used to used something on her that made the other dog sniff her suspiciously. It made her smell better tho'.

CelesteSpaniel and Sacremist like this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Coconut oil is a good deodorant, a little on his food and a little bit rubbed into his fur and brushed through.
    He will smell delicious !

CelesteSpaniel and Sacremist like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am confused by your post...you don't think it's an ear infection but a vet has checked your dog over? Ears would be one of the first places to check?

How often are you bathing him? You may be bathing him too often? How often is he walked and where? I often think that dogs who get good walks, often smell of very little, those that don't get walked can have smell that lingers.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Have you checked whether other people notice the smell too?

lullabydream likes this.
  7. CelesteSpaniel

Sorry, I only mentioned ear infections because everywhere I look online, ear infections are always one of the answers people give. I understand that my vet would have seen if there was an ear infection! Got a migraine today, so I’m not very bright right now :p

He’s not bathed too often, since he never really gets dirty. His last bath was a couple of days ago, but the one before was more than a month or two ago.

We either walk him around the neighbourhood, or when the weather is good, the local field. He is walked once a day.

8. CelesteSpaniel

Yes, my partner has noticed his smell also. I haven’t asked anyone else though.

9. CelesteSpaniel

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give that a shot if I can find some near me :)

10. CelesteSpaniel

I do have some cologne for dogs, though my poor Pom despises the stuff. He flips out at even the sight of the bottle! So, I haven’t used it in years. Sadly it’s the only type my pet shop has, and we don’t have a groomers near by. I’ll have a look online and see if I can get a different type (and hope he’ll like it!).

Sacremist likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice