Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Polliwogs!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by MerlinsMum, May 21, 2010.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Little things I haven't seen for many many years - since I was a child, I think.

But there they were - hundreds of them, and when I dipped my hand in the water they swam up to me and gave me the gentlest of kisses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merlin really couldn't understand what the fuss was about.
    "What am I supposed to be looking at?" as they were swimming round his feet.
    [​IMG]

"Polliwhats???"
    [​IMG]

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Awww they are cute!! But what as hell put my hand in :scared:

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

LOL why not? they can't bite!

4. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Brilliant pics :thumbup:

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

No no, i get the heebie jeebies with things that! No where near as bad like with insects (i am a big baby girl with them! I scream or freeze and sweat!)

I could touch them in a tank of my own but not in a pond like that..........too scared of the unknown! What if a giant mutated monster came out of nowhere and bit my hand :scared: :scared:

Love Merlin in them piccies! His face in the second one is amazing! Such a beautiful boy.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's his goofy look - head tilted, lower teeth just showing.... a real "Duh??" :lol: I wanted him to look at the camera but he didn't.... so I said a word I know he recognises.... "Train!"
    His look is really saying: "What you on about, you silly woman? It's a pond, not a railway station!"

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Aww bless them:) I looked in our pond but we haven't got any polliwogs this year:(

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

LOL!!! Thats exactly what he looks like he is saying! :thumbup: :lol:

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

These were in a pond in a nature reserve, on our loooong walk today. I think we did about 7 miles. I wanted to get to Bedhampton to get on the Waterside Walk around part of Langstone Harbour that I haven't yet done but messed up with the trains and ended up in nearby Havant - at least an extra mile on top.

We followed a bit of the Wayfarer's Walk then got onto the Waterside Walk at Broadmarsh country park. There's a big slipway there, and just by chance the local RSPB warden was just about to go out to do his rounds in his little boat to the islands in the big natural harbour, where a lot of seabirds breed.

Had a lovely chat with him about the colonies of black-headed gulls, Mediterranean gulls and Little Terns that nest there, all protected of course. He was great - he could rell me exactly how many pairs of each are there this year!

He also told me the best place to go locally to spot Harbour (aka Common) seals - something I've never seen here before, but they are round & about if you have binoculars as they lie up on mudbanks at low tide. They are all tagged and some stray as far as Shoreham-by-Sea (near Brighton).

Merlin meanwhile found a rock in the shallows and was proudly carrying it around like it was his new best friend. (In the end he brought it along for about half a mile before finally abandoning it behind a park bench.) He did look like he wanted to get in the boat with the bird warden, who said he could (lol) and when the chap did set off, I thought Merly was going to swim after him! Nutter!

Not long beforehand, we'd walked alongside a channel leading into the sea where there was a group of about 20 swans - non-breeding males and last year's youngsters. Dog dived in and started trying to herd them, I really wish I'd got a vid of that.... all you could see was his little swimming head going towards the huge swans who just glided off looking disgruntled, occasionally glancing over their shoulders to see if the annoying dog-thing was still following them. He was happy though - his mission in life is to move animals from A-B. He even herds rabbits back into their holes, doing the classic sheepdog 'circle' around them.

Was a great walk though and boy are my feet sore now....lol
    It was a loooong way to walk from Havant to home.

10. leashedForLife

i loved the pix, and it sounds like a wonderful, wonderful day... :001_tt1:

i was so lucky (tho i did not know it then) to grow-up in a water-rich rural area -
    we had 2 surface-streams and a spring (complete with spring-house) on our property, and a BIG stream (called a creek)
    within 2-miles walk, toward the village;

in the opp-direction U could walk down the Sunday Road, cross the 2-lane highway and the Roosevelt Canal, and go to a former gravel-pit that had flooded when they broke into groundwater while digging - all the equipment was abandoned as the men ran for it.
    the quarry had a bluff for sunning, a few sand beaches for water-access, and several summer-resident Canadas, as well as a pair of Osprey who nested + fished there. i swam in the quarry as a teenager - it was too deep for children.

i went wading + swimming in the creek, which was red-shale + fast water, full of trout, suckers (a bottom-feeding fish),
    and zipping water-beetles; i fished in the canal for bluefish; i found salamanders and frogs and minnows in our farm-streams.

we had no sizable ponds for tadpoles AKA polliwogs, but the vernal ponds and marshes seemed to serve them well -

this is what SPRING sounded like, on our farm at night:
    YouTube - Spring Peepers audio
    i miss that -

also the night-time chorus of crickets in spring, summer and autumn.
    freesound :: view sample :: crickets.wav

a summer night...
    YouTube - Lightning Bugs (Fireflies) & Heat Lightning

this was what lulled me to sleep at night...
    freesound :: view sample :: The Burn.WAV
    the stream below my bedroom window - when i went to college, i had a terrible time sleeping;
    i thought it was *Novel* sounds that kept me awake; it was not, accustomed sounds were missing. ;)

loved the pix :) thanks, sue!
    --- terry

#10 leashedForLife, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Lovely clips, Terry - you may not know but I have visited wildlife sites in the southern USA and yes, I know the sound of Spring peepers! Crickets too, and cicadas, fireflies, rattlesnakes..... and black widows! :lol:

On my first visit I swam in a clear blue spring in NW Florida and found a bullfrog tadpole in mid-metamorphosis - he was huuuuge and had his legs all ready to go but a tail still as well.

When I stayed in Orlando, just by my friends' apartment block was a tall pine with a pair of Ospreys nesting. I sat for HOURS watching the pair bring fish to their young. So rarely seen in the UK, although we sometimes get migrating ospreys stopping off for a rest here on the South Coast - rare, but it happens, I missed seeing one by less than 24 hours last year.

If you google Farlington Marshes - that's where I was today - UK people may have heard of it as it's often featured on TV and it's a bit of a mecca for birdwatchers, one of the UK's most important sites, especially as we frequently get odd vagrant birds or migrators stopping off. I always stop to talk to any serious-looking birdwatchers when I see them, to ask if they've seen anything good - they can often point out something to me, as they did a couple of weeks ago when there was a rare Pallid Swift (a mediterranean species) having an unplanned holiday on Milton Common, just up the road from here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice