Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

[Poll] What Do You Look for in a Dog Groomer?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by toastedMalllows, Apr 14, 2021.

?

When searching for a groomer, which of these are most important to you? (choose up to 3)

1. Services and treatmants best match my needs

40.0%
  2. Prices are competitive

20.0%
  3. Easy to book an appointment (e.g. online)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strong social media presence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Recommendation (e.g. from friend or vet)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Member of a dog grooming association

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Caters for special requirements (e.g. physical or behavioural needs)

20.0%
  8. Offers luxury spa treatments (e.g. facials, paw treatments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Photos of the staff and salon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Photos of groomed dogs (e.g. before/after shots)

20.0%
  11. Customer reviews

20.0%
  12. Clear and open details about how your dog will be treated

40.0%
  13. One-on-one treatment from the same groomer (vs a team of rotating staff)

40.0%
  14. Experience with or good knowledge of grooming your dogs breed

80.0%
  15. Insurance to cover your dog in case of emergency

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. toastedMalllows

toastedMalllows PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm new here and seeking the opinion of experienced dog owners :Shamefullyembarrased

There are plenty of guides out there but I want to know what the community members feel is most important to them when searching for a dog groomer.

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually, Number 1 on my list would be someone who's a dog lover, and a competent dog handler.

Someone who knows how to read dog body language would be ideal (No - it's NOT a good sign if a dog refuses to take treats,which is what one dog groomer suggested - especially if the dog in question is a proper foodie).

After that would come experience of grooming my dog's breed.

And then would be recommendation plus reviews.

Calvine and toastedMalllows like this.
  3. toastedMalllows

This is an excellent point. In my imagination, all the groomers are dog lovers so it hadn't even crossed my mind to make it a choice - the thought of my dog being in the hands of anybody who wasn't a dog lover :Nailbiting

If my Mitsy turned down a treat I'd be more than worried! HUGE alarm bells for anybody to think it was a good thing!! :Hilarious:Facepalm

Sarah H and LinznMilly like this.
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Someone that isnt a glorified sheep shearer!

Too many groomers seem to know one cut and one cut only. Gone are the days of being competent with scissors or can hand strip. Its all shave, shave, shave.

Sarah H, Blitz and LinznMilly like this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

It probably goes without saying TBH, I'm probably just being a bit pedantic. But the incident about the groomer mistaking Milly's reluctance to take a treat as a good thing did happen. We never went back there again.

With Honey, being a Chi, and feisty and willing to use teeth, being able to read body language is massive to me. The groomer I use for her made a really good impression on the very first meeting, and if my circumstances change (long, convoluted story for an entirely different thread), I will be going back to her as long as she remains in business.

Sairy, Sarah H and Calvine like this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

No, I don't think you are. I remember many years ago taking two cats - quiet, well-behaved pair - and the vet whom I had never seen before was just indescribably awful: she did not look at me once and if I asked a question she grunted, pushed and threw the two of them around like sacks of rubbish. Next time I rang I made a point of saying I wanted an appointment with someone else (in fact anyone else except her) and the receptionist asked me why I was asking for a different vet, so I told her, to which she replied that ''Vanessa just had a rather ''shy'' manner with people which made her give the impression of being rather abrupt'' (you're not kidding). I remember saying I did not give a bugger whether she liked me or not but I got the distinct impression that she hated cats. I've never forgotten that visit - I remember apologising to both cats all the way home as I felt so awful for their treatment.

7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

That's. . . That's disgusting! I would have done exactly the same. Poor cats. And poor you. :(

Calvine likes this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

It was awful; I've since had vets that I liked more than others, we all do, but never one who seemed to loathe their job and the associated animals as much as she did. I thought maybe I was over-reacting, but when the receptionist said she ''could come over as somewhat abrupt'' I got the impression that someone had said something before (obviously if they had, she would not tell me). The old guy who was there for years before them could be blunt and to the point, but I never got the impression that he thought the dog and I were getting on his nerves or wasting his time. I really thought she was in the wrong job.

toastedMalllows and LinznMilly like this.
  9. toastedMalllows

That is vile. I agree there's a big difference between blunt/experienced/to the point etc and just being in the wrong job. In hospitals, I always seem to get lumbered with the nurses who are the absolute supreme version of blunt (but experienced) and are more likely to tell you to "get on with it" rather than empathise and 'mollycoddle'. I've come to thinking of them as wartime nurses based on the many WWII films I've seen and their casual and very capable demeanour around horrific and tragic injuries.

Thankfully our vet is lovely and as much of a pet lover as me. I just can't imagine treating somebodies pet or any living thing like that. Even if I had no regard for fellow life, I certainly wouldn't have the nerve to treat a pet like that in front of an owner.

Calvine likes this.
  10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I actually don't care too much how my dog will look (I have just booked him for his third ever professional groom in 11 tears, I normally do him myself but my clippers are shot, and I'd like him clipped shorter than I can normally do).

As long as he is treated well, with understanding, breaks when he needs them, no stress - I don't care how he looks.

O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I’ve found a nice groomer in Suffolk where we have the static. Don’t take Isla to the groomers very often, maybe once or twice a year. I’ve always been happy to trim them up myself, but I’m not able to do so much now. Poor Isla will just have to look a scruff until we get there again

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

There is one (lady) vet I do find really lovely and I never met anyone who didn't; and, tellingly, she herself has ''five black cats that no-one else wanted''. I can pretty much guarantee the one who dealt with my two boys had no pets at all; maybe a scorpion.

toastedMalllows and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice