Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

political correctness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alan g a, Apr 6, 2011.

1. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

Polictical correctness can go too far. For example, a local council told its staff that they should not ask for black bags, they are refuse sacks. They where also told that black coffee was banned but they can order coffee without milk. At one time it was suggested that chocolate with less than a certain percentage of cocoa solid should be called vegilates. Ethnic Magic Vegilates doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
    How far will it go? Will Manchester become Personchester? or will manholes become personholes? Who knows.

#1 alan g a, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I buy Niger seed for my birds...some suppliers have decided this might upset some fictional ethnic group,so they altered it to Nyjer.
    Even though in Africa the country is called Niger...represented as such at the United Nations, and so is the river from which it get's name.....pathetic.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Absolutely ridiculous and i dont think it would upset anyone tbh i dont think they care and if it did and they do care well tough why should we go around treading on eggshells in our own country when afterall they have more than enough luxuries off us without the luxury of being able to dictate what we say and do.:mad:

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

That's ridiculous - if something is black in colour, we should be able to call it a black-whatever, it's not like we have to change the names of whiteboards etc.

5. haeveymolly

I reallly cant understand any of this after all majority of them arnt black for gods sake, so do we next ban brown, dont these people look in the mirror? if they are brown, black white whatever the colour why refering to the blackboard, black bags etc offend them? :mad:

6. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I had an interesting 'chat' with a Jamaican years ago.He thought that the word 'Black' in the English language associated with bad things was intentionally racist...ie..blackmail,blackening your character,giving a black look.Interestingly he pointed out that the villain in a movie is usually the one wearing black...which is true.

My theory on the use of black as evil and fearsome in all languages comes from the distant past.
    A fear of the night...the dark forest etc.In those days the dark was to be feared when predators or human villains were abroad.The night was a time to be feared away from the safety of the home with it's fire.Many still fear the dark even today.

jetsmum likes this.
  7. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

When my lil girl decribed her friend she said "this girl with long hair and a black face"...aaaand another mum told her off.."Why it is wrong to say "black face"?..asked my child...For her it was as descriptive as saying the black dog ...and this is when she got the message that "black" is offensive...
    My "black" friends hate it...making that issue..so if she says "yellow hair" it is ok...if you start avoiding it looks as if it was an unspeakable desease..
    when my son called his friend "that one with red face"..nobody told him off (friend had bad case of sunburn!)...

black, pink, brown, red, white...as we describe our pets ..the same with people, no colour of anyone's skin or hair etc is offensive per se...so offensive it is if made so...times moved on...

Obama is US president...time to stop.

8. alan g a

Intestingly, if you ask a member of the "darker race" , what they be discribed as. most would say "black and proud of it."

9. I would like to think that you wre pulling our legs! but I have an odd feeling you are not!

Where on earth will it all end?

10. alan g a

No joke. All true, but they did see sense in the end.

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The problem is that the PC brigade have filtered into every corner of our lives and opening our mouths has become a virtual minefield. You just don't know who you might offend with a very innocent remark.

Due to it being SHOVED down our throats at every turn, it is beginning to backfire and many people will admit now to being much less PC & much less tolerant than they once were before it all got out of hand.

The worst PC 'attempt' I ever heard of was when some feminist liberation group submitted a request for History to be changed to Herstory as they felt it was sexist to women!!! I mean... WTF?????? :mad5::mad5::mad5:

12. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

PC in this country has gone way too far! I believe everyone should have thr right to say things as they are far too many people play the race card and they say the ethnic majority or supposed majority are racist.......dont think so :D

13. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

My niece was taught Ba Ba Rainbow sheep at school. At one point schools used to be to blaise about ethnicity but now they are going over the top. If black people cannot be called black people, am I still allowed to refer to myself as white?

14. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I must admit I agree with an authoress who wrote about prehistoric man.She insisted that it was WOMAN who discovered fire...as she pointed out,our lot were out clobbering mammoths..it would have been 'her indoors' who found the method of cooking 'em....:D

15. bird

bird PetForums VIP

PC brigade mostly cause more damage than its supposed to solve. I dread to think of what they'd have made of my nephew the first time he saw a coloured man. We'd just moved into the city from the country, and we were on the bus, when he pointed to a man and said, in the quiet tones that very young children use when they're about to embarrass you

"urgh, look at that man, his face is very dirty". :eek:

16. alan g a

This ones for fun and told to me by a blck friend.
    "You are pink when you are born, white as you get older, red when you get sun burn, blue when you are cold and green when you are sick, and you call us coloured!":p

17. alan g a

Must have been a BIG fire.:D

18. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

most ppl in many places are just happy the way they are ..be it colour, sex or sexual orientation...or lateralization..or hair colour and will be offended if you thought that they should have an issue ....and try not to offend them..because that is patronizing and offensive...

..by the way once in UK someone (a friendsaid.."you are white, but not as white as we are")...of course not! I been sailing:D

19. morsel

morsel PetForums Senior

I've never seen a black person. Perhaps your supposed to call brown bags black bags and that is where the confusion lies.

20. haeveymolly

Ye ime sure they are, its like been racist trying not to be racist if you know what i mean:rolleyes: because we are supposed to see them as equals, colour doesnt matter and then we are wrong for thinking that black, brown is wrong.

#20 haeveymolly, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice