Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Policies on going to new homes

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by messyhearts, Jul 10, 2009.

1. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Hello,

Just wondered how each person approaches litters going to their new homes. Whether you stagger it, let them go only at weekends etc. Just curious as I bring home my new baby a week today. :smilewinkgrin:

staceyscats1 likes this.
  2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

All of mine were staggered, not really my choice just how people could come and get them! 3 went on the last day, all together 3 the day before & 1 the day before that & 1 the day before that.

I think its more down to what the new owner can do, days off work or weekends or night time etc :)

3. messyhearts

What's your opinion about the thirteen weeks being on a Monday/Tuesday?

4. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

Mine never go much before 15 weeks as they are neutered first, and often I'll have unsold kittens older than that. Personally I think 13 weeks is too young. I'm at home most of the time so I can be very flexible about when owners want to collect their kittens, although I prefer not to have people coming in the evening. Nothing is set in stone :)

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

We let ours go once we know that they haven't suffered any ill effects from their 2nd vaccination. The timing after that is all down to when the new owner can come and collect them....we don't mind how long we keep them after that :)

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I think we'd do this if we could find a vet to neuter them at that age but there isn't anyone who does this local to us. I'm not sure how much difference there is from 13-15 weeks though?

7. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Staggered is definitely better for Mum. Mine never go at 13 weeks. 10 weeks is the earliest for 1st vaccs and often its older than that and they never go without a full clear week after their 2nd vacc. I don't take them for 1st vaccs until they look the right size. No idea what that is, they just look ready.

I like to keep them mine for as long as reasonably possible, its not all about getting them out of the door as soon as possible. It has to be right for all concerned with Mum and kittens being the first priority. Some kittens seem to need a bit longer with Mum than others and the right owners understand and will wait. If they can not wait a week or so, then they are not really interested in the kitten.

8. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

A very good point :)

9. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Mine go between 8-10 weeks, (moggies)..The new owners tend to view them and often stay for a while playing with them, Then the right kitten will go to them, and thats how most of them choose...

I then talk about their food/last worming and de-fleaing, Where they like to sleep, what they like/dislike, mine normally dislike the hoover!

Then I arrange with them the date and time for collection...Im quite flexible so i get them to choose when its ok for them...

The kittens go to their new homes with some food/food bowl, advice and of course their understanding that the kitten comes back to me if they need to rehome it for whatever reason...

10. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Mine will go at 14 weeks. It's the way it works out for the owner and the timing of the vaccinations. One may be here a bit longer as his owner is moving hosue, so we will keep him until she is ready for him.

One girl did pay a deposit then said she couldn't take the kitten, I probed a bit further and she said "she felt like she was missing out on it being a kitten if I kept it until 14 weeks"!

Her loss. :)

11. messyhearts

Missing out? Should see my 9 month old kitten.... I brought her home at 16 weeks & she has more than made up for anything I could have missed out on. :D

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I know, if anything the fun just seems to be getting better for them now at 11 weeks, almost 12! Although I could do without them trying to strangle themselves in the the little bits between the blinds. Thats not good! ;)

13. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

im picking up my new queen up in aug (after our holiday) she will be nearly 18 weeks old then .... i cant wait im so excited , my mentor says they usually go at about 14 weeks old , but again shes sees when they look ready to leave the litter and mum , some its longer, but never before 14weeks :D
    julie x

14. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I have just got a new moggie tom kitten and he was 9 1/2 weeks old, eating and drinking fine. He seems perfectly happy. I now feel guilty that he should have stayed with his mum a bit longer? Or is that just for pedigree kittens?

15. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

My Kittens go at 17 weeks as i also early nueter. and i prefer mine to go on a friday night or early saturday as this gives the new owners and the kitten time to settle without having to be left at their new home alone because they are at work etc....

but it depends everyone is different and you have to go what feels right for you and your fur babies. :)

16. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Thats a good age to have your kitten, some people let them go at 8-9 weeks but some people (esp pedigree owners wait till their arr 13 weeks old...i let mine go between 8-11 weeks, depending on how they are...

17. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

The guidelines set down for registered pedigrees is to leave at a minimum of 13 weeks old following a full course of vaccinations. Moggie kittens are traditionally rehomed a lot earlier than that at 8/9 weeks old without any vaccinations. Kittens are able to live independantly of Mum at that age, but emotionally they benefit from being left with Mum a bit longer.

staceyscats1 likes this.
  18. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

If all breeders started abiding by the new guidelines on vaccination, i.e. that the final vaccination should be given at 16 weeks or later, we'd all be keeping our kittens till at least 17 weeks :)
    It seems that no-one in the UK has adopted this as yet.

staceyscats1 likes this.
  19. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

It's the first time I've heard of it! I don't necessarily think that it's a good idea though. Our vet still wouldn't neuter them at that age.

20. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

The reason for the recommendation is that research has shown that many kittens still have maternal immunity beyond 12 weeks (when the final vaccine has traditionally been given) - this can make vaccination less effective.

Vets need to get up to date on appropriate age for neutering as well as vaccination!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice