Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Police Track BT In Cow Attack

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SleepyBones, May 6, 2011.

1. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

2. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

The owner should not of let the dog off the lead end of!!!! :mad::mad:

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

What kind of idiot lets their dog off-lead near livestock at all, let alone cows with calves? It's a miracle that neither the dog nor the owner/s were actually trampled, cattle can be so protective of their young :mad:

4. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Another dog let down by a human.

I hope the cattle were all ok.

5. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Reading the comments, the owner is there (if it's genuine). He's too stupid to tie his own shoelaces, let alone own a dog :(
    Exams, licences and microchips, that's what I want when I see this stuff.

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

The kind of idiot who grew up in a city and thinks the Country Code is the latest Dan Brown novel :rolleyes:

My Dad's cousin was trampled and killed by a cow with a calf (before I was born) so I have grown up knowing how dangerous they are.

The photo in that article is horrific, it shows the dog hanging off a very scared looking cow's throat :mad:

#6 metaldog, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

According to the paper this morning one of the cows had its face bitten and needed treatement I think. The photo showed it with blood all down the side of its face.

8. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

It's a pretty bad attack when cows with calves come off worse than the dog. Moron shouldn't be allowed out on his own, let alone be responsible for a dog. As usual, the animals suffer, not him. Makes me cross.

9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

:(:( just another bad owner..so upsets me when something like this is in the news :(:(:( our lovely bullterriers don't need this ...bloody tit head

10. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Poor thing, such a shame :(

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Poor dog and cows what an idiotic owner. You don't let dogs offlead near livestock unless they're trained herding dogs and you're working the livestock with them. Of course the papers had to say devil dog attacks cows didn't they not idiot owner lets his dog down :(

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

It is so very sad that it is always the poor dog that gets the blame! The cows and calves must have been very upset, especially the one that was bitten. I know of a herd of cows in Wiltshire that were attacked by a dog and now have a reputation for chasing any dog that goes near them, on the lead or not! It is alleged they have even killed one dog. I don't blame them for wanting to defend their babies but this may be why some cows react so badly when dogs enter their fields.

I have a fear of cows and try to avoid going into fields with them at all and I would NEVER let Honey loose where there are cattle or other livestock.

13. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

This is another thing that will go against staffys but i know that a lot of the dogs that come in for foster would do the same. The can be cat, dog and child friendly and still attack livestock BUT my dogs would never be allowed off near it. Some people should not be allowed dogs. Its ridiculous how easy irresponsible owners can get hold of dogs. I really hope that this dog finds a new home with a responsible owner. Unfortunately i think there is a more likely option on the cards :mad:

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

We have horses on the Barton Hills near us who graze freely in the summer months and experience thesame problems. They are way to confident, surround walkers with dogs and I know of dogs which have been attacked. Millie was knocked to the gorud by one as a pup whilst on a short lead after we were surrounded and I froze in fear. Luckily they are not shod so no real damage but I avoid them now - Will do an extra long walk to avoid them if they are where I was planning on walking. I am guessing they have been pestered to much by off lead dogs and now have the confidence to react like this.

This owner should be so ashamed of letting this situation happen and I hope he had to pay any vet bills for the cow attacked now they know who he is.

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

You can`t comment on the dog being offlead... for all we know the dog could have escaped/slipped its collar etc
    How ever it came to happen tho... the worst part is that after he got the dog the owner just ran off !!!

If I was to ever be in a situation where I had a dog that attacked something/someone, I would get my dog back under control and stay to apologise and help as best I could... I wouldnt just do a runner :eek:

16. leashedForLife

Police track down bull terrier that savaged herd of London cattle | News

from the article -
    if the fellas in the photo are the white-haired herdsman & the owner of the dog is the [presumed eejit] in a red T-shirt,
    apparently carrying a Flexi-leash, :eek6: IMO they are both lucky that as distressed as the cattle were,
    neither man was attacked, run-down or butted by cow, nor kicked - horses kick out behind, cattle can kick to the side,
    so they have a much-wider radius for hazard, & a kick from a 1200# animal is no trifle, nor is a swipe from a big head,
    with a massy boss of bone capping the skull & a 2-foot deep muscular neck to power the blow.

a cow can pick me up on her head & toss me like a beanbag, U go flying with no great effort on her part;
    the landing can kill ya, the launching is easy for her but hard on U, no question.

i also agree with the police, dog-wardens & witnesses: the dog should have been on a proper 6-ft leash, not a Flexi
    nor any other sort of extendable, or on a long-line held by the owner & kept well away from the cattle.

a shock-collar is not particularly helpful in these cases, chances are good the dog has never done this before,
    or the owner would not have had his dog anywhere near cattle off-lead if the dog had a history of stock-chasing.

training a dog to avoid cattle or to leave-off chasing when told can be done without a shock-collar as well as with one,
    & in the excitement of chasing [sheep, cattle, chickens...], shock-intensity would have to be turned up, adding IMO
    to ethical concerns about humane-training, and greatly increasing the risk of fallout afterward, too.

using a walking-stick or herdsman's bamboo cane to thwack the dog would OTOH quickly deter most dogs -
    the bamboo-canes are lightweight & supple, but sting when they hit & make a distinctive sound when swung.
    very few dogs will hang-about for a second whack, even if intensely aroused, as this dog must have been.

too bad the owner is too stoopid to think of leashing his [theoretically much-loved] dog to prevent a disaster.
    it is likely the dog will be euthanized, or the owner will pay whopping damages & the dog deemed dangerous,
    at least to stock, & serious limitations will be placed on the owner & dog, plus INSURANCE may be required.
    the premiums on high-risk insurance can be ferocious. :( that can spell another risk for the dog -
    if the insurance is legally required to keep the dog, & the owner cannot afford the premiums, there goes the dog,
    euthanized for economic reasons - since he cannot be reihomed with this history.

i'm sorry for the cattle and the dog - i'm angry with the owner, who is a dimwit IMO.
    even if the dog was perfectly behaved, the cattle could have gone for the dog! which is equally scary,
    & just as preventable with some forethought. :nonod: shame all round.

17. He ! the owner was the final one in the queue when they handed out brains!

. The unnamed owner is said to be devastated.
    Yeah right!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice