Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Police shoot 2 rotties - Herts

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by OllieBob, Mar 22, 2011.

1. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Run free now rotties :(

3. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Poor dogs, we will never find out the full story as usual!!! WHo defines the word aggressive?? They could have been showing fear, too late now!! Hope the owners get a ticking off too, for letting get out!:mad:

4. Police trained in firearms and NOT dog handling obviously!
    Very sad!
    run free wee rotties

5. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Obviously they shouldn't have been out on their own. But I don't understand why they had to shoot them dead, why couldn't they just shoot them with a tranquilliser?

6. lou3

lou3 PetForums Junior

This makes me really annoyed. There are two terriers near my house that are ALWAYS out on the road, they chase joggers, attack dogs being walked past their house, run out in front of cars and nip the legs of passing horses, Sometimes they wander up to 3 miles away from their house. Nobody would ever think of shooting those little menaces because they're "only little terriers" and yet as soon as anyone sees a loose rottie it is automatically a danger.
    I've only ever met one rottie that was aggressive, every other one has been a great soft lump that just wanted to sit on your knee.

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Poor dogs.:mad::mad:

8. fessie

fessie PetForums Junior

omg poor dogs why couldnt they try harder to catch them

9. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

I wonder at what point the police decided they needed to be shot dead?

A few years ago the police phoned the vets where I was working and asked if we had a tranquilliser gun, as there was a loose aggressive GSD that they couldn't get near, and none of the local large animal vets were available. We didn't but we said to them all we could offer was enough ACP tablets in the hope to sedate him if they could get him to eat them in something - they sent a car out to pick them up with the lights on....but my friends hubby is in the police and it turns out they decided to taser the dog!!and they got him that way..
    My point is, as far as I'm aware they won't just shoot without trying other methods first.
    Waltham cross comes under Essex police I think otherwise I would've been able to find out more as he works for Herts police

10. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

they spent some time trying to catch them from the look of the article - but we really have so little of the story we can barely speculate

if the dogs were a known threat in the area? sheilds were used - what force did they attack the shields?

in our district the police have been known to shoot a jack russell that was attacing people in a park after failing to trap it after several hours - but the thing is smaller dogs as a rule are far easier to trap and subdue just due to the smaller size which is why you never hear about them

11. Target practise! and safetyof the public of course!
    But fear mine would react just the same in that situation! and my girl is the biggest softiy on four legs!

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

This statement pisses me off

"Once the situation was resolved the children had a belated outdoor playtime."

Like thats the "main concern" here that the kids playtime was disrupted :rolleyes:

Sadly the way these events are dealt with is very area specific.

The dogs that killed my cat were dangerously out of control but were captured succesfully at a local Supermarket and returned to their owners while the situation was assessed so they were given a chance at least.

13. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Without further facts it is difficult to say whether the shooting was justified or not.

14. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I agree with the above poster. x

15. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Aww poor Rotties!!

16. pipa

pipa PetForums Newbie

i live on that estate. a number of people were bitten quite badly. they were huge dogs its lucky no-one was killed.

17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its the owners that want shooting.:mad: How you can turn a potentially lovely breed like a Rottie into one that isnt safe in public is just shameful..They will always have the stigma of being a scary looking dog but that kind of bad publicity will just make people believe the worst.

18. pipa

pipa PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately the whole area is inundated with chavs who want scary looking guard dogs. They got through the fence of the garden they live in while the owner was out.

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I know the area, i can well believe the probems :(

20. pipa

pipa PetForums Newbie

As it goes, today my mother in law had a training session for the census collecting job shes starting, their sending people out in pairs round here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice