UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone voting for them today.

I'm not I have no idea who they are, only had a one of them post anything though the door, nothing in the local paper so how can I make an informed choice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
It's SO important........... I totally forgot about it!!!! :rolleyes:

We've had NOTHING through our door, no-one coming to the door to tell us more about it or themselves and, if we wanted details, we've had to do it ourselves and go on-line for a look. :mad:

Personally, I don't think this is a job that should be voted for - it should be earned by people working up through the force and getting it on the merit of experience and a good work record.

A waste of time and an even bigger waste of money!!! :thumbdown:

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
Ive asked 2 of my candidates what their stance is on wildlife crime & animal abuse...No reply from either of em:rolleyes5:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't see how I can vote as I know nothing about any of the candidates. Silly really if they want us to vote we need to be informed of the choice.

Don't think many will be at the polling stations today.

My sons happy though as he gets a day off school because his school is a polling station.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Seems we all have the sme opinion. I have no idea who is standing so I have no idea what they stand for.
I think it is going to be a very small turn out, I won't be going

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have no idea who is in running for our district. That is how far under the radar it went. They got a brief mention on the local news. I don't think any open forum was carried out so I have no idea what plans they have in their manifesto if they have one.

I like the idea of voting in police commissioners. Wish they would do it for Hospital Chief Execs!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No I`m not! Of all the ridiculous ideas, this has to be the daftest. I don`t want the police run by a politician!
Some of the candidates are independent and have extensive experience in the police force. I know 2 of the candidates in our district are not affiliated with a political party :)

So there could some hope that some forces will get an experienced commissioner. I agree in prinicipal that politian running a police force will be met with high scrutiny should the force they run start to under-perform or make more cuts :(

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Won`t be voting, no idea who is standing, but don`t want anything to do with it. I actually tore up the ballot paper when it came through the door. :ciappa: I never vote anyway but this time I am actively not voting! :D

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I am gobsmacked, to say the least!

This is an important position you are being asked to vote for - you are being asked to appoint the person who will be in control of crime and crime prevention for your area, the person who will decide the budget to be spent on the police force in your area, the person who will monitor and hold the Chief Constable to account for your area. This is what the Police Commissioner will be doing:

Q3 What will the PCC do?

The PCC will take over the role of the Members of Derbyshire Police Authority. The PCC will have a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public.

The main duties of the PCC will be to:

•hold the Chief Constable to account on behalf of the people of Derbyshire[/;
•secure the effectiveness and efficiency of Derbyshire Constabulary;
•decide the budget, allocate assets and funds to the Chief Constable; and set the police council tax precept for the force area;
•set the strategic direction and objectives of the force through the Police and Crime Plan, which must have regard to the Strategic Policing Requirement set by the Home Secretary;
•prepare and issue an annual report on the PCC‘s delivery against the objectives set within the Plan;
•publish information to enable people to assess the performance of the PCC and Chief Constable;
•monitor all complaints made against officers and staff, whilst having responsibility for complaints against the Chief Constable; and
•appoint the Chief Constable

In addition, the PCC will have duties not now covered by the Police Authority. These are:

•a specific responsibility for the delivery of community safety and crime reduction;
•the ability to bring together Community Safety Partnerships at the force level;
•the ability to make crime and disorder reduction grants within their force area;
•a duty to ensure that all collaboration agreements with other Local Policing Bodies and forces deliver better value for money or enhance the effectiveness of policing capabilities and resilience;
•a wider responsibility for the enhancement of the delivery of criminal justice in their area.

Derbyshire Constabulary - Police and Crime Commissioner

Do you really not want to have a say in appointing the person who will be doing this in your area? Do you really not give a damn? Do you really not care who - or in most cases, which political party - is holding the police force in your area to account? I cannot believe some of the comments on here - can't be bothered, don't know who the candidates are, tearing the ballot papers up - it's apathy like this that has got us the government we have today! You have a vote - use it!

I know there has been no spoonfeeding by the media about the various candidates, but instead of throwing your toys out of the pram and tearing up your ballot papers because of that, just engage your brain for a moment and think. Most of the candidates are being put forward by the main political parties - wouldn't they just love to be able to get on with putting their candidate into power without any interference from an apathetic Joe Public?

And the information about candidates for your area is so easy to find. Just look here:

Police and Crime Commissioner Candidates

You have a chance to actually do something that will affect your area. I cannot for the life of me think why you would not want to do that.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts

This is an important position you are being asked to vote for - you are being asked to appoint the person who will be in control of crime and crime prevention for your area, the person who will decide the budget to be spent on the police force in your area, the person who will monitor and hold the Chief Constable to account for your area.

You have a chance to actually do something that will affect your area. I cannot for the life of me think why you would not want to do that.
I would be MORE than happy to vote IF I KNEW WHO I WAS VOTING FOR!!!!!!! :incazzato:

Nothing through the door!!

Nothing in the paper!!

No-one knocking ON the door to introduce themselves and to discuss their agenda!!

No-one in the shopping centres to answer questions.

Yeah, I can look up their blurb on-line but that just tells me they can write a good story, it doesn't tell me if the candidate is either trustworthy or a slime-covered sleazeball.

If 'they' want US to make an effort to vote then perhaps THEY should have made an effort to get in touch and tell us what we need to know.

If they can't get off their ar$e to even canvass to be elected then it does not bode well for their comittment to the job does it?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I would be MORE than happy to vote IF I KNEW WHO I WAS VOTING FOR!!!!!!! :incazzato:

Nothing through the door!!

Nothing in the paper!!

No-one knocking ON the door to introduce themselves and to discuss their agenda!!

No-one in the shopping centres to answer questions.

Yeah, I can look up their blurb on-line but that just tells me they can write a good story, it doesn't tell me if the candidate is either trustworthy or a slime-covered sleazeball.

If 'they' want US to make an effort to vote then perhaps THEY should have made an effort to get in touch and tell us what we need to know.

If they can't get off their ar$e to even canvass to be elected then it does not bode well for their comittment to the job does it?
To be honest I'm wondering just why it has been such a low-profile affair. The fact that it has been like this all over the country means that it is deliberate, not just a few candidates that can't be bothered to canvass. It's as if they are merely paying lip service to giving us a vote, and that they really don't want us to vote because that would uspet the applecart and mean their prefered candidates won't be appointed. That in itself was enough to ensure an old Marxist like myself took the trouble to find out who the candidates were for my area and was at the polling stationn early doors. :laugh:

As for the canvassing being only online - well, if they are going to spin a story (and I'm sure they are; most of them are politicians after all) they'll be spinning the same story whether they are doing it online, on TV or radio, standing in the shopping centre, or pushing the leaflet through your door.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
To be honest I'm wondering just why it has been such a low-profile affair. The fact that it has been like this all over the country means that it is deliberate, not just a few candidates that can't be bothered to canvass. It's as if they are merely paying lip service to giving us a vote, and that they really don't want us to vote because that would uspet the applecart and mean their prefered candidates won't be appointed. That in itself was enough to ensure an old Marxist like myself took the trouble to find out who the candidates were for my area and was at the polling stationn early doors. :laugh:

As for the canvassing being only online - well, if they are going to spin a story (and I'm sure they are; most of them are politicians after all) they'll be spinning the same story whether they are doing it online, on TV or radio, standing in the shopping centre, or pushing the leaflet through your door.
Of course they would still spin a story but the difference of actually meeting them and hearing it is that you can use your instinct to decide just how trustworthy etc they are or are not.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts

This is an important position you are being asked to vote for - you are being asked to appoint the person who will be in control of crime and crime prevention for your area, the person who will decide the budget to be spent on the police force in your area, the person who will monitor and hold the Chief Constable to account for your area. This is what the Police Commissioner will be doing:

Q3 What will the PCC do?

The PCC will take over the role of the Members of Derbyshire Police Authority. The PCC will have a statutory duty and electoral mandate to hold the police to account on behalf of the public.

The main duties of the PCC will be to:

•hold the Chief Constable to account on behalf of the people of Derbyshire[/;
•secure the effectiveness and efficiency of Derbyshire Constabulary;
•decide the budget, allocate assets and funds to the Chief Constable; and set the police council tax precept for the force area;
•set the strategic direction and objectives of the force through the Police and Crime Plan, which must have regard to the Strategic Policing Requirement set by the Home Secretary;
•prepare and issue an annual report on the PCC‘s delivery against the objectives set within the Plan;
•publish information to enable people to assess the performance of the PCC and Chief Constable;
•monitor all complaints made against officers and staff, whilst having responsibility for complaints against the Chief Constable; and
•appoint the Chief Constable

In addition, the PCC will have duties not now covered by the Police Authority. These are:

•a specific responsibility for the delivery of community safety and crime reduction;
•the ability to bring together Community Safety Partnerships at the force level;
•the ability to make crime and disorder reduction grants within their force area;
•a duty to ensure that all collaboration agreements with other Local Policing Bodies and forces deliver better value for money or enhance the effectiveness of policing capabilities and resilience;
•a wider responsibility for the enhancement of the delivery of criminal justice in their area.

Derbyshire Constabulary - Police and Crime Commissioner

Do you really not want to have a say in appointing the person who will be doing this in your area? Do you really not give a damn? Do you really not care who - or in most cases, which political party - is holding the police force in your area to account? I cannot believe some of the comments on here - can't be bothered, don't know who the candidates are, tearing the ballot papers up - it's apathy like this that has got us the government we have today! You have a vote - use it!

I know there has been no spoonfeeding by the media about the various candidates, but instead of throwing your toys out of the pram and tearing up your ballot papers because of that, just engage your brain for a moment and think. Most of the candidates are being put forward by the main political parties - wouldn't they just love to be able to get on with putting their candidate into power without any interference from an apathetic Joe Public?

And the information about candidates for your area is so easy to find. Just look here:

Police and Crime Commissioner Candidates

Not interested, thanks.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.