Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Polecat?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Pampered pets, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

A guy brought me a polecat and two kits the other day, said he trapped her while he was out working, brought her home and bred her :(

I plan to try and get her DNA tested to see if she is pure polecat or a hybrid, or even a lost ferret, she is very nervey and hisses a lot so i guess she may well be a true polecat and if its proved she is she will go for release although her kits will have to stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Humans are disgusting creatures :mad: if he caught one of these why would he breed it?!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Pampered pets

I agree but ill take her to the wildlife centre when her kits are weaned, if she is full polecat she will go back where she belongs :)

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

is she tame? if so it maybe possible she is someones lost pet that has been court? shes lovley

5. Pampered pets

yes i was puzzled by her whish is why i want her DNA tested to be sure, i had figured there was three possibilities,

she is a wild polecat,
    she is a hybrid either wild born or captive and got lost
    or she is a ferret who got lost.

she isnt agressive but she is nervey and jumpy like a polecat and evry hissy, i havnt put my hands in the hutch as she gives me clear warnings by hissing and tail puffing so why chance it?

i can pick her up from a flat surface and she dosnt attempt to bite but she is very quick and nearly mad a dash for it, she is either hybrid or polecat in my mind, id of thought a true polecat would be highly agressive especially with kits but somome with poelcat knowledge has said this is not always the case.

il be contacting the wildlife centre to see what they suggest, ive heard many times of workers coming across lost ferrets so its not impossible but i dont think she is 100% ferret.

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Could she be an EU polecat? i know a lot of people keep pure EU poleys as pets...

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Beautiful looking thing x

My niece's boyfriend has two polecats that he uses for hunting (or something along those lines). They're both female. He said that you have to breed them otherwise they die?

I find this to be very far fetched :confused:

8. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

It's true, ferret females have to either be bred, put with a vasectomised hob or jill jabbed otherwise they can die. If they stay in season, they develop a type of anaemia which can and will kill them.

So not far fetched atall :D

If he says he has polecats he probably means the polecat markings on a ferret :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Wow, didn't know that.

Have no idea never seen them. He said his step dad bought two for £25 each if that helps LOL. They're training them up to go down burrows etc.

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Hiya PP

It sounds like she does have some wild blood but then again all polecats do somewhere just some more then others. Maybe shes been lost quite a while and has started to become wild and now shes back with you shes having to learn to trust people again? I hope that you can keep her but understand why your getting DNA test done, her kits are beauties im jealous lol

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Yeah those'll just be ferrets :p Actualy polecats cost waaaay more than £25 for 2!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They're beautiful animals I would call a wildlife sanctuary see what they think because if shes wild she should really go back.

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I think that's what the OP is intending to do :p

Peace
    Akai-Chan

14. Pampered pets

Yep as i said several times, if she is polecat she will be released, however several people have had the same suspicions as me, she isnt vicious like a polecat should be or black like you would excpect although my friend has an albino and ginger (not sandy i mean ginger) pure polecats.

Actually the ginger was released on a programme but the albino coudlnt be because of his colour, i think maybe she is hybrid but i shall find out,

Thanks DK the kits are beautiful, the silver coliur came from the dad, he is sandy but nearly all his two litters of kits came out silver lol

I think there is a sticky somewhere about jills, its a misconception when people say they have to be bred or they die. Yes they have to be brought out of season but not by being bred as this just ads to the kit problem, spaying is the best option then the jill jab (an injection from the vet) or a Vasectomised hob (infertile) its the rough act of mating that stimulates the jill into going out of season.

Please encourage your relative to spay or jill jab rather than breed :)

If repeadedly left in season they develop aplastic anaemia which is basically bone cancer due to a constant build up of hormmones being released into the body which is fatal.

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

16. Pampered pets

Thanks, im still trying to find out about DNA tests, found a local wildlife centre that deals with polecats so just have to wait until the kits are a bit older .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice