Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Sign Up

Poisonous Items for Dogs - This could save you dogs life

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DoubleTrouble, Dec 19, 2008.


  1. AnnieMcK

    AnnieMcK PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2014
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi there!
    After reading this post I just wanted to add a comment about carbon monoxide - it is a gas that is deadly to both pets and humans, plus there is no way to know if you have a carbon monoxide leak in your house until it is too late- unless you have a CO2 alarm. I found out lots of information from this website by a company called corgi homeplan (Carbon Monoxide - How safe is your home?) and I have had a CO2 alarm installed in my house as I have 3 dogs and 2 children (a bit of a mad house - I know!) but I thought it would be the responsible thing to do.
    I hope you find this helpful!
     
  2. Charity

    Charity Endangered Species

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    17,527
    Likes Received:
    35,139
    To add to the list of toxic plants, a dog in my area has recently died after chewing the leaves of the indoor/outdoor plant called HELIOTROPE. The owner said her dog would often chew the leaves which release a slow acting poison and over time this causes total liver failure. It comes with purple or white flowers.
     

    Attached Files:

    Muttly likes this.
  3. Couger

    Couger PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2015
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    Will Never feed that to my puppy then :lol:
     
  4. earthchylde

    earthchylde PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2015
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    13
    I don't know if this has been mentioned as there has been so many replies - firstly thankyou as pretty much a dog newbie this is really useful, I wanted to point out there has been some really nasty accidents and skin burns on dogs / and cats from those perfumed reed diffusers of they get spilled on your pet, just thought it was something worth mentioning xx
     
  5. cinnamontoast

    cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    12,129
    Likes Received:
    2,187
    Cod liver oil: too high in Vitamin A which stores in the liver and can damage it. Salmon oil is better.
     
    DT and Muttly like this.
  6. Muttly

    Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2014
    Messages:
    13,721
    Likes Received:
    15,592
    Cotoneaster:

    Cotoneaster.jpg

    The berries are poisonous to dogs.
     
  7. DecantPet

    DecantPet PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    May 15, 2015
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    24
    I couldn't agree more. Some of these plants are beautiful flowers that we grow in our flower gardens oblivious of the dangers they pose to humans as well as pets. It is imperative that you understand the pros and cons of each plant before you introduce it in your garden.
     
  8. Natalie Strudwick

    Natalie Strudwick PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    May 21, 2015
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    6
    I think you should add chocolates and onions for these type of foods. They are very toxic for dogs.
     
  9. roxieyap

    roxieyap PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2015
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    5
    Glad I came by this post. Our spitz-poodle, Fluffy is super active and he likes to play/eat with almost everything that's on the floor, especially in the kitchen. Now I would know better to keep the chocolates and sultanas where he could not reach them!
     
  10. DecantPet

    DecantPet PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    May 15, 2015
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    24
    Dogs are known to have a problem metabolizing theobromine- a type of Alkaloid found in chocolate. Alkaloid is a stimulant which stimulates the central nervous system causing increased blood pressure. It can also cause rapid heart rate, which can lead to death.
     
  11. DogLove3

    DogLove3 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1,014
    Likes Received:
    5
    Very informative and interesting post.
    Before my boy consumed an Oleander leaf, he had diarrhea on his walk, at home he became restless and had a fast heart beat, we noticed these symptoms and managed to get him vet treatment.
    It was too late to use charcoal tablets, so we had to give him laxatives instead to get all the poison out of his system.
    Later that day we gave him an hydration sachet to replace his lost salts.
    The very next day he was so much better.:Happy
     
    Muttly likes this.
  12. danielled

    danielled PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Messages:
    29,024
    Likes Received:
    3,293
    Chocolate and onions is already listed on the first page.
     
  13. Lexiedhb

    Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    10,309
    Likes Received:
    8,157
    raw salmon? And spinach???????
    id call that nonsense, plenty raw feeders feed salmon weekly and spinach pulped in veg mixes, with no ill effects. Id like to see the research begin this if anyone has it
    also honey, is not toxic, and very beneficial to those who have seasonal allergies.
     
    #333 Lexiedhb, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Muttly likes this.
  14. DecantPet

    DecantPet PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    May 15, 2015
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    24
    I like this. I will try it out.....
     
  15. Muttly

    Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2014
    Messages:
    13,721
    Likes Received:
    15,592
    Tutsan: Toxic to everyone when consumed like this.
    tutsan8516.jpg

    One of these bushes just sprouted up in my garden :eek: I'm pulling it up tonight!!!!
     
  16. TheWolfTamer

    TheWolfTamer PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2015
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    6
    ty for this post
     
  17. Cavachon21

    Cavachon21 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2016
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Could someone give me advice with our new Cavachon puppy ; she's 11 weeks old and we have a small patio area with a larger grass patch, when it comes to the toilet she only likes the grass, but with the wet weather I'm worried she will eat slugs and become unwell! Any advice on what to look out for , or how to get rid of slugs?
    Thank you
     
  18. Bogi&Clyde

    Bogi&Clyde PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello :)

    I have a cute cavalier king charles spaniel :)
    Recently I discovered that he is evry fond of certain cegetables and fruits :)

    Do your dog like vegetables and fruits?
    Here you can see his preferences :)



    Is it normal?
     
  19. DecantPet

    DecantPet PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    May 15, 2015
    Messages:
    74
    Likes Received:
    24
    Table salt works for me. It keeps slugs and snails out of the compound. You sprinkle it around the area infested with slugs and the will be gone.
     
  20. Lexiedhb

    Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    10,309
    Likes Received:
    8,157
    not a great idea if your dog then has access to a load of salt.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice