Poisonous Items for Dogs - This could save you dogs life

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DoubleTrouble, Dec 19, 2008.


  1. It is time for me to move on - BUT - before I go I want you to all read this and DIGEST it - it could save YOUR pets life - please don't let this thread slip to the bottom unseen - read it - and keep bumping it up - if it saves just ONE life then I shall be happy
    Have a happy Christmas everyone and all of you continue doing wht you do best - CARING.
    And remember -KEEP BUMPING this to the top

    regards
    DT

    Every Christmas many dogs are poisoned because owners are unaware of some toxic substances that are about at this time of the year.

    Plants that are Toxic..
    Poinsettia (leaves). –May cause rash to mouth or skin..

    The following may cause vomiting, abdominal pain, tremors, heart and
    Respiratory and or kidney problems.
    Amaryllis.
    Azalea***
    Christmas Cherry.
    Potato sprouts.***
    Spinach.

    The following may cause hallucinations.Nutmeg.

    Vomiting and or Diarrhoea..
    Holly (Leaves and Berries).
    Horse Chestnuts.
    Varied effects
    Mistletoe ***
    Chocolate*** ( human)
    Onions.***
    Raw Salmon***
    Yeast dough***
    Alcohol****
    Salt***
    Pot pouri***
    Antifreeze***
    Bay leaf***
    Sultanas***
    Grapes***
    All Marked with *** can be Fatal!!

    Be careful of the dog chewing through electric wires, or
    ingesting tree or cracker toys.
    Also don’t overfeed your dog as the vets are full of dogs with stomach problems after
    Christmas.

    If you suspect your dog is ill then contact a veterinary
    surgeon.

    Take Care!!!
     
    #1 DoubleTrouble, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Are you leaving DT?
     
  3. crazydoglover

    crazydoglover PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,378
    Likes Received:
    21

    ditto here!
     
  4. JANICE199

    JANICE199 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    30,684
    Likes Received:
    3,387
    Thanks for that BABE.where ya going? on holiday? coz i know ya wouldnt leave us.....would ya?;):D:D
     
  5. jilly40

    jilly40 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Messages:
    2,943
    Likes Received:
    89
    thanks for that dt.where ya goin hun? ur not leavin are ye? x
     
  6. Not so much leaving - just taking a break for awhile - the last couple of days I had spent so much time on here, every 10 minutes or so i was checking new posts. I do not know if I mentioned it but i fractured my elbow a few weeks back - I was at the hospital on Tuesday and it has not healed right - to cut a long story short during that time one of my friends has been excercising my dogs 3 days a week - she does not walk them as I do (they prefer her - because they get away with murder). If I do not pay some serious time to my youngster she is going to forget all she has learnt. Problem with me I can never do anything by half! - it's either all or none - so sadly at the moment it has to be none.

    Keep bumping this thread folks - there are so many members on this forum - that if they all read it and save just one life - it will have been worth it - I could post some real sad stories now - but I'll trust you to keep this at the top. Infact - I'll come on twice a day to keep it there if you don'yt.

    Love to you all.
    regards
    DT
     
    charlies angels. likes this.
  7. crazydoglover

    crazydoglover PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,378
    Likes Received:
    21
    i see, i have to take breaks from the net when i get addicted too :D

    look forward to seeing you around after your break :)
     
  8. Katie&Cody

    Katie&Cody PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Messages:
    3,764
    Likes Received:
    182
    Thx for that DT.
    :thumbup:
     
  9. Below I hasve posted a sad story as to why is it important to try and keep this thread at the top over the Christmas period. Sorry to keep repeating myself but if it saves just one animal then is it worth is.

    PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD

    It COULD be YOUR pets life that is saved so please everyone - bump bump bump.................

    Crossposted............


    We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. Two, beloved
    Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from a decorative basket
    in my Living room. Within hours, they were vomiting it, convulsing and going
    into total body rigidity and shock. We took them to the after hours clinic,
    they had no idea what it could be and wouldn't listen to me about them
    vomiting potpourri at home and how I had such concerns about the toxic
    effects of it. They treated symptoms.

    We transferred them to our day vet. He also wouldn't listen to me about the
    potpourri theory. He said they had "strychnine" poisoning symptoms. I
    kept telling him that the potpourri was Made In India, sold by a company in
    California and sold at my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the
    culprit of their condition.

    They declined rapidly throughout the day and we transferred them back to the
    after hours clinic for a second night. At midnight, I made the agonizing
    decision to put them to sleep. Haley was in constant seizures that wouldn't
    stop, fluid was filling up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of
    them, Zoe was lying almost lifeless on the table, struggling with every
    breath she took. Every muscle was completely rigid, you couldn't even move
    her.

    I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed and
    function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have since found
    out I was right....... .....there is a lab in England that has case studies
    on toxic potpourri from India!! The toxin....strychnine , which in it's
    commercial source, comes from a certain tree grown in India . I am
    completely heart broken over this.

    Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like this in
    our
    homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but when I saw them both
    "playing" in the potpourri a
    nd then after about two hours saw the symptoms
    of a poisoning, I just put two and two together. Hug your babies, Love them
    and always take lots of photos along the way...it helps later on, trust me.

    Karen Cantner, Heartland Kennels, Evansville , Indiana USA

    Permission to cross post - should be unedited and sent in it's entirety
    with her contact info.
     
  10. Katie&Cody

    Katie&Cody PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Messages:
    3,764
    Likes Received:
    182
    Couldn't read it - too sad.
    Will keep bumping up for you DT.
     
  11. Aww that's so sad :(

    hope you have a nice break, and hope you're on the mend soon :)
     
  12. bump bump bump - you have to bump this - it could save a life -
    So to all my mates out there - come on give us a bump - please read the first message and the consequent one regarding two CKS/s - before I go I am going to post another sad sad story
     
  13. Another sad case - you have to read this thread - then bump it!!!! please
    Cross-posted

    Warning - Toxic christmas plant

    Just in case you're not aware...

    A story from Ireland:

    An uncle just phoned from Dublin to let me know about a radio interview that was just on RTE. A man phoned in to say that he had just lost his weimaraner puppy to a plant that was brought in to their house from Tesco to add to their Christmas cheer. Turns out it's not so cheery

    They put the plant on their window ledge and went off to bed as usual later that night. a few hours later they woke to a loud cry, ran downstairs and found their pup dead on the floor. it had eaten a couple of the cherries, and died instantly.

    His friend, who is a vet, told him that had he been there, he couldn't have saved the pup owing to the deadliness of this plant to our little friends. so, if you have one of these plants, get rid of it. apparently there's a health warning on the label, but it's printed in very, very small writing. Also, as this man said, if it's for sale in a big store, you sort of trust it automatically.

    Sad story, but hopefully the result will be that more will be saved.
     
  14. bump bump - you need to read the above post - Another death that could have been avoided!
     
  15. jenty34

    jenty34 PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bump It Up......
     
  16. KarenHSmith

    KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Messages:
    4,279
    Likes Received:
    73
    Wow thanks for the information xx
     
  17. Bump bump Have you read this thread yet re the dangers of christmas. Scroll down and read of three unfortunate pets that have lost their lives due to our ignorance. We want to hear of NO tragedies over the festive season - ZERO TOLERENCE, read read read and save a life.
    It could save your pet.
    regards
    DT
     
  18. colliemerles

    colliemerles PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    39,145
    Likes Received:
    2,556
    bump it back up,,aww how sad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:(......:(
     
  19. carol

    carol PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    6,358
    Likes Received:
    104
    good info
    have a nice break see you when your back, good luck with the elbow :)
     
  20. Carol :):):):) hi = havn't actually gone anywhere - just - TRYING to take a break - but want to keep bumping this up = so I keep checking back
    Have a good christmas everyone - and keep your pets safe over the festive period
    Love
    DT