Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Poisoned Recall

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by AnitaCooper, Oct 10, 2018.

1. AnitaCooper

AnitaCooper PetForums Newbie

I trained my 5 month old puppy using an Acme whistle and she responded really well to it. Then she got confident and started disappearing off into the woods and eventually came back after several whistles. Since then I stopped using the whistle and she’s back on the lead. She’s now 7 months and I want to start recall again - I’ve read a great training programme but is the whistle now associated with not obeying it or can I still use it, just maybe change the number of pips! Anyone help?!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Use the whistle together with a long line, so you can test her response to the whistle but she can't run off, even if she wants to. Using a different whistle could work too, if it has a sound she has no associations with.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

I found that all the training I put in when my dog was a puppy actually returned completely after the 'teenage' years. Beware though, because my teenage years lasted a lot longer than 7 months. I used exactly the same whistle and exactly the same number of 'pips'. I get what you are saying about ignoring the whistle, but I think if she was returning ok to start with, she will pick up where she left off, when she has got over her excitement of the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice