Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Poisoned Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kevsmt5, Oct 8, 2013.


  1. kevsmt5

    kevsmt5 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me. My dad owned a springer spaniel, 8 years old and a lovely dog.
    He would take the dog for its morning walk over the field just a few minutes away, its a field that is used by all dog walkers in the area.
    Whilst he was walking the, dog the came back with a dead magpie, he told the dog to leave which she did.
    He then got talking to some other dog walkers for a few minutes, when he was ready to leave he looked over to see the dogs head in the long grass, assuming it was probably after the dead magpie again he shouted her and she came over.
    He then returned home put dog in her kennel and left for a few hours, when he returned he went to take her out again, he would walk her 3 or 4 times a day. When he went to get her out the kennel she was lying dead and was stiff, blood coming out of her mouth and diarrhea in the kennel.
    He called the vet who said to bring her down. The vet said the only way she would have died that way would have been poison. I am no expert and wondered if it could have been from the magpie, maybe the magpie had been at a dead rat that had been poisoned. I don’t think it was on purpose as the neighbours are nice and the dog was not bother, and never barked at anyone. It’s a horrible loss and a loss of a companion for my elderly father. I just want to reassure myself it was just a tragic accident. My father could not afford to pay for further tests on the dog, other that have her cremated.
    Thanks for your time.
     
  2. DT

    DT Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Messages:
    12,278
    Likes Received:
    6,005
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your fathers dog,
    Not a lot I can say to throw any light as the 'what' the cause could have been, but dogs can and do get poisoned from dead animals. We had a dog who was poisoned from eating mushrooms, luckily she did survive (where there any mushrooms on the walk. Another common one is antifreeze - could he have come into contact with that?

    Maybe someone will be along soon with something more sensible.

    Welcome to the forum by the way
    DT
     
  3. Burrowzig

    Burrowzig PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    17,915
    Likes Received:
    11,503
    The magpie could have taken poisoned bait itself. All the crow family are regarded as pest species in agricultural circles, though culling is normally done by shooting. Or the bait could have been laid for something else, and the magpie helped itself.
     
    #3 Burrowzig, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice