Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pointers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

My Hubby wants a Pointer, not too sure on the coat yet. I don't think we really mind too much.

I would like to know what they are like to keep as pets, their suitablity as a first time dog owner breed and what health tests, if any, they need.

We are still trying to find our perfect breed, I have a feeling we'll be here in 2020!!!:D

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

What sort of pointer? english, german sh. wire haired? asking cos Ive only ever had a gsp and she was totally mad!:D

3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I think it would be a German Shorthaired Pointer. He isn't too keen on the wire haired ones.

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I quite like Pointers - I love the look of black and white English Pointers, they're very noble looking, lovely :)

My friend had a German Pointer (can't remember if she was wire or short haired) and she said she was a lovely dog :)

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Or an English pointer.

6. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

Hi

We have a solid liver german wire haired pointer who is absolutely gorgeous but loopy! We wouldn't swap him for the world but he has definitely been hard work for the last 9 months and has tested us as they're highly intelligent dogs and can certainly outwit us (I was putting him out in the garden as he'd jumped up on the sofa and I ended up out there and he was inside - got that wrong somehow!) The solid livers are apparently more stubborn than the other colours

They're a smashing breed though and once they're trained they're fantastic as they're HPR, but they do require lots of work and attention and training as soon as possible. If you get the training right, ensure you're the boss then they're a great breed but as with all dogs you definitely need to be able to put the time in with this breed.

We're waiting to get another one as we love the breed (so a bit biased!) but waiting to sort the training out with Otto (he's now just over 1 year old). From speaking to other people out and about I think the german short haired pointers are slightly more calm but I couldn't confirm that.

Hope that helps :)

7. rona

rona Guest

I have never met a bad Pointer of any type.
    A little dotty when young :)
    But sweet natured and beautiful :)

8. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

I havent seen a pointer before... i even searched the net just to see what it looks like...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice