Pointer crossbreed & pet cats...

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Angel_Lovelorn, May 15, 2018.

1. Angel_Lovelorn

Angel_Lovelorn PetForums Newbie

Hello. New member, first post here. I've been looking for some new family members for about six months plus & I've found a beautiful pair of pointer cross (unknown with what!) looking for a 'furever' home. I know that their instincts are to point &/or hunt, but I understand that they're not automatically aggressive. Does anyone have experience with pointers and pet cats? Is it foolish to think that we can all live in blissful harmony or has anyone done this, or similar, successfully? If so, what advice would you offer?
    I'd love to hear about anyone else's story, to help me to decide whether to keep looking or go with my heart (which is already full of love for these two, just from pics & their writeup).
    Many thanks.

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Where have you found these pointer crosses? What draws you to them as a breed/cross? What kind of characteristics are you looking for in a dog?

We believe our boy may have pointer in him, as he has a few of their characteristics, but he is a street dog and a complete mixed bag. He lives with a cat and they are getting on well but it has been careful management from the start as he does have a chase instinct. We knew he had already been around cats in his foster place so was used to them and knew he would have the temperament to be good around them, we wouldn't have got him otherwise.

I think you would be taking a risk TBH. Crosses could turn out like either of the breeds they're crossed with. Pointers can have a high prey drive, which wouldn't mix with a cat so well. A dog that wants to chase and potentially kill small furry things does not have to be aggressive. They are separate things, the chase is instinct.

Has your cat ever lived with a dog? I take it these dogs have not lived with a cat? I think it would be very hard, with 2 dogs that have never been around a cat, keeping an eye on them both constantly to make sure they never have the opportunity to chase. Yes, maybe it would work, but it also could really really not work. You need to give you cat space away from the dogs, and make sure introductions are done slowly and carefully. You might have to keep both dogs on a lead indoors at first when the cat is around. Even if it does work, it can take months and months for them to get fully used to being in each others presence. And you also have to make sure you can separate them when you leave the house.

If you have a dog from a puppy, you can train most breeds to live with cats. However, when they are adults it can be more difficult. Why not look at rescue centres that should be able to help you find a dog that would be suitable to live with a cat?

Angel_Lovelorn and lullabydream like this.
  3. Angel_Lovelorn

Hi. Many thanks for the lengthy reply!
    I'm looking at rescue centres, that's where these two darlings are, currently. I'd never buy privately!!

I have four cats, not one. Three have definitely never lived with a dog because I adopted them as kittens from a rescue. My mature cat is six but I got him from Battersea aged three so he might have lived with a dog, but there is no history, sadly.

I wasn't specifically looking for pointers... just new family members! I've not had dogs for over twenty years now, but it has always felt like a hole. I have had children (that helped!!) but they're all grown up & I have a lot of space, time & love.

These two pointers are from a reputable rescue site. I know very little about them. I simply wondered if anyone had lived with a pointer/pointer cross & cats!

I'm afraid that I can't be more specific about what I seek, because it's more instinct than detail.

I'm aware that there are numerous dogs needing rescue. I only want to take on what I feel I can, you know? To offer some poor canines a home to feel loved & safe. I have no agenda.

I'm home most of the time. I have space in the house and a garden and I live three minutes from the common. I've had dogs before, albeit some years back. I feel that I have a lot of love to offer!

Thanks for your input. I hope I've clarified that which I can.

Peace

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I think it would be easier if you tried to narrow down what you need/want in a dog and then try and look for that. There are so many different types of dogs in rescues, not all of them will be suitable for your lifestyle, and if you can give a rescue some information on the type of dog you're looking for then they'll be able to help you.

For example, the first thing you want is a dog that can live with cats, as you have 4 cats that have never lived with dogs before, so you want to look for a dog that has either lived with cats before or one that is laidback, no prey drive and will tolerate them. Bringing a dog into the house will be a big deal for you cats, especially if any of them are of a more nervous temperament, so you need to think about them too. Another thing to think about is how much exercise you can give a dog, and how much time you have to put into training. You also need to think about the size of the dog, would you feel comfortable walking a large breed? Or would you prefer small/medium. You need to think about what kind of 'issues' you are willing to deal with, if any, some rescue dogs need quiet homes as they are nervous, maybe you have a busier home and/or lifestyle and these wouldn't be suitable.

I have no doubt you have a lot of love to give a dog, but you do need a dog that fits you otherwise it may not work out.

How old are these pointers you've seen? Pointers are slow to mature and can be VERY bouncy. They can be quite hyperactive and need a decent walk and mental stimulation. Have the rescue said these would be suitable to live with cats? How have they assessed the suitability? TBH I am surprised that a rescue is willing to rehome two pointer crosses to a household with cats without actually knowing if the dogs are good with cats. Most rescues would avoid this as, if it doesn't work out, the dogs would end up going back to the rescue. When we were looking we could only apply to dogs that the rescue knew were used to cats or were marked as potentially able to live with cats.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative, but I would be asking some questions to the rescue about the suitability of these dogs. You will have your hands full with four cats and two dogs who have never lived with either species. You would need to supervise their interactions every time for a while to make sure none of them had bad experiences.

Angel_Lovelorn likes this.
  5. Angel_Lovelorn

Hello.
    Thanks again for the detailed reply.

I should start off by saying that I took early retirement and it's just me & my adult child at home now, in quite a large house with gardens front & back. I'm always home, except for the time when we'd be 'walking' so supervision isn't a problem initially, but I would like to think that we could find a harmonious relationship for ALL the animals concerned.

I'd never rush into an adoption. I've been actively looking for over six months after thinking about it for about a year, so this isn't a rash decision.

It's fine to be negative if you're being honest! It's honesty that I seek.

I'm looking for a pair of young(ish) dogs, more or less to dote on! I won't deny that empty nest syndrome plays a part. I just find myself with a great deal of time & love to give.

I prefer medium or large dogs. There's no reason.. it's just a preference. I have only looked at shelters & rescues. I wouldn't consider a purchase with all the dogs currently needing rescue.

The rescue with the pointer cross brothers is in Spain so meeting is impossible. I'm told that they have never been with cats as they live predominantly with other dogs, so have a pack mentality. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing in all honesty, but I would imagine that it's not good for cats! They're three months over a year and have been with the rescue since they were eight weeks old.

I have been looking for dogs who are ok with cats. These are the first two about whom this is unknown, which is why I am asking for advice. I am most likely going to have to keep looking, but I prefer this to an unhappy result.

Thanks again for all your input. It is appreciated.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

That's good. It sounds like you do know what you want and have lots of time to give :)

I rescued Teddy from Spain, but his pension had cats around and he had been introduced to them and shown no negative signs towards them. So, even though he had never lived in a home-home, we knew he had potential to live with a cat. We didn't get to meet him before we decided to adopt him but we got sent videos of him with other dogs and with the cats, so we could make an informed choice.

Is the rescue a British rescue that is bringing these dogs over? They really should be endeavouring to match you with a dog that is suitable, and it doesn't sound like they've really thought about the cat/dog situation. I would ask maybe speak to them about you having cats and ask them what traits these dogs have shown that make them suitable to potentially live with cats. If they haven't thought about it, I'd look elsewhere. I know it's frustrating when you've been looking for a while, but it's important to get it right, especially for the animals already in your home. One thing to note as well, if rescuing dogs from abroad, especially Greece and Spain, to make sure they have been leish tested.

Angel_Lovelorn likes this.