Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pointer cross Lab

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lauren Clark, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Lauren Clark

Lauren Clark PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Looking for Pointer cross Lab breeders, trying to find a male pup.

Could anyone help please?

Thanks

2. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

If you’re looking for this cross you need someone who hip tests BOTH parents because both are prone to hip dysplasia. There are other relevant health tests responsible breeders carry out but hip is a huge one for those two breeds.
    There’s not going to be many people likely breeding this cross because most either breed labs or pointers. They will usually be the result of two family pets (you don’t really want to encourage people to do this to make profit as it’s irresponsible) or someone’s gundogs.
    Why not look for one of those breeds? You are much more likely to find a responsible breeder of one rather than a cross :)
    Which pointer are you interested in?

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

4. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

This article is really good @tabelmabel, I found it very interesting, it's not an article I've come across before.
    As you know Woody is a lab pointer cross and a wonderful dog, and much of this article was spot on!

@Lauren Clark , I don't have any advice re finding a breeder for pointer lab x, I was lucky, my boy Woody and I found each other when he was in a rescue centre.
    I just want to say that my boy is a lovely dog, and I think you are choosing a lovely breed, excellent with children, very affectionate and eager to please. They do tend to have a bit of an independent streak, which I have noticed in Woody from time to time, and you just need to work with that I feel, rather than trying to train it out of them, which is what some idiot suggested I should be doing!

The article linked by @tabelmabel is very good indeed and my boy seems to be extremely typical of the breed as described in the article.

He does need a fair bit of physical exercise, but I also find he needs stuff to do, problems to solve, games to play that involve him using his brain just as much as the physical stuff.
    He has been very easy to train, in spite of coming to me with many problems due to his past.

I hope you manage to find a good ethical breeder without too much trouble. And I wish you lots of luck with your new pup.

niamh123 and tabelmabel like this.
  5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

A Labrador x Pointer is a crossbreed not a breed and as such there is no general standard of look or behaviour. I am glad your dog is lovely but it is important that anyone looking to source a particular cross does understand that genetics does not split 50;50 and that any variation of the parent breeds may be represented in the offspring. In fact in the article quoted it says "The puppy could get the best attributes of both parents, or the worst."

I would also reiterate Northpups comment that both breeds are known for a disposition to hip dysplacia and imo it is vital that both parents are scored.

My understanding that it a cross that has found interest in America (the link is an American I believe) and was done to try to lessen the intensity of the Pointer by crossing it with Lab but it does say in the article that you may get a double dose of energy and drive, so be ready for that, too.

J

#5 Jamesgoeswalkies, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Torin., O2.0 and Northpup like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

The link is from pippa mattinson's own site and does reference both uk and american research. It also provides links to both uk and north american rescues and suggests that might be the best place to look.

I just linked it in to try and balance the thread from going down the usual ' why not get a lab/why not get a pointer' road.

The op wants a lab x pointer which is fair enough

niamh123, Bugsys grandma and Torin. like this.
  7. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

You are absolutely right of course @Jamesgoeswalkies this is not a "breed" and I should probably have said 'a mix of breeds'.
    I am very lucky that my boy is so lovely, I've no previous experience of pointers, but have always had labs in the family, beautiful dogs and for me nothing to not like.
    I was drawn to Woody when I went looking for a rescue because of his lab looks, and he does have a lot of Labrador traits but he is more independent than any lab I've ever had and I enjoy the challenge that that has brought in training.

I was simply sharing my personal experience of my "mixed breed" with the OP , and I do think, all be it from my very limited experience, that they are a nice mix of breeds.

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes, of course the points made by jgw and northpup are very relevent but OP's question is only asking where she can find a male pup so one might reasonably assume that she has already considered all the necessary factors and is now at the end stage of the process - sourcing a pup.

Probably looking amongst the gundog community would be the place to start if it is a pup you want to train up for working, OP.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice