Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pnuemonia puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BredaKim, Nov 18, 2007.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Well Megan had her 5 puppies sept 19th...we planned on keeping a chocolate girl for a second pet and to breed from.
    All have their own personalities...we have one black boy who has always been the one that got picked on...poor baby...and I just fell head over heels in love with him!
    So we decided not to keep the chocolate one and stick with the black boy...we have called him Banjo...B.J for short.
    He developed a cough yesterday morning and seemed a bit blue and down. We separated him from the others and kept him with us the whole time. It got gradually worse overnight to the point I had to rush him to the vet first thing this morning. I was crying like a baby :( They took him straight in and put him on oxygen and asked that I leave him there for x-rays of his chest.
    It showed that he had alot of fluid on his lungs and they have disgnosed pnuemonia :( He is still at the vet now having pure oxygen to help him breath, and they have asked us to have him overnight in a cage as they have no nurses on duty overnight. The cage is because when he wakes he wants to run and gambol but it affects his breathing too much.
    They have said the outcome is poor for him, so I'm glad to have him home with me....but I'm heartbroken.
    I never realised it would be so hard to breed pups...you get so attached to them all.

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sorry to hear the bad news. Hoping the best for you

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

It must be agonising for you. Puppies can be real little fighters, so lets pray that yours is one of them.

Please keep us all informed. When my young dog got parvo virus at 9 months (having received all his injections), the prognosis was grim. He lived to be 1, so please do not give up hope.

4. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Sorry to hear this, i hope the pup recovers well:)

5. BredaKim

We have heard off the vet and they have decided to keep him over night, the vet is going to take him home so she can give injections every four hours, she will also be able to keep him on oxygen for longer then she would if he comes home with us. He is also on some very strong anti-biotics and more tablets to reduce the fluid on his lungs.
    I'm sad he's not home, but I know if he is going to have any chance at all he is best with the vet rather than me.
    I would love to just give him a cuddle right now, the poor love.
    Prognosis is still very poor, she said she can't make any promises that he will survive the night :(
    Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, keep your fingers crossed for Banjo please....I know I have EVERYTHING crossed right now!
    Will keep you informed of his progress.

Breda x

6. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Our fingers are crossed & you're in our prayers tonight:)

7. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

So sorry, keeping fingers crossed and will be in my prayers tonight, bless him .

8. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Sending healing thoughts his way...

9. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Hope all is well:)

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

So how is little pup this morning? Have been keeping him in my thoughts over the weekend.

11. BredaKim

Hi Guys,

Made the dreaded call first thing this morning to see if he had made it through the night....and he had...thank God!:D
    I was so happy I could have screamed on the spot!
    They asked me to collect him this afternoon, but he has to be kept in his cage/pen to make sure he rests. Which is no easy feat now he is a bit more lively!!
    He keeps crying to join the others, but I know he is far too weak yet.
    Doctors have given him more anti-biotics for us to give him, frusimide to take any more fluid off his lungs and some stuff that I have to put in his food to help prevent lung worm...which the vet thinks is apparently the problem, by all accounts it's passed on through the mother, despite us having her wormed regularly :confused:
    He has to go back in 48 hours for more x-rays to rule out any heart defects. And they think he may have osteo porosis or early arthritis?? Can't wuite remember that bit as my mind was spinning...will find out more when I take him back on wednesday evening.
    He is eating well and we have him on a high protein food recommended by the vet...he has lost sooo much weight in just two days!!:eek: he's like a skinny little thing! :( but breathing much much better! and resting lots when I can persuade him!! So lots of cuddles.
    Thanks you all so much for all your lovely thoughts and prayers...I'm sure it helped! ;)

Hugs BJ & Breda

12. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

glad to hear he made it through the night hope he continues to get stronger and stronger

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Great news Breda. As I said previously, puppies can be real little fighters.

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

fingers crossed here,:)

15. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Great news & fingers crossed too

16. BredaKim

Hi Guys,

After a night at home and medication, we got up this morning to find a much happier puppy...he is still not out of the woods by far, but it's looking good.
    Back to the vets tomorrow for his next x-ray.
    He is moving much quicker and with alot more life when out of his cage. :D

Thanks for all you kind thoughts guys!!

Breda
    xx

17. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

So pleased to hear that glad hes improving ,aww thats lovely was thinking about him in bed last night still keeping fingers crossed and hes in my prayers.

18. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

great news just what I hoped for hope he continues to improve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice