Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pls help

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Lish, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

Hi all my Congo african grey is 2 years old.Not really sure what's going on with him but today he's not his usual self.Hes not eating or drinking he's not making any noises or talking and sleeping almost the whole day.I tried feeding him some water but he just vomits.His feet are really cold.Any idea what could be wrong?

2. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

You really need to see a vet as birds can go downhill very quickly. Do you have an avian vet close to you?

kimthecat likes this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this .
    You really need to see a vet straight away . I would ring the emergency vet .
    We cant tell you whats wrong , he might need anti biotics or something .

Sproglet likes this.
  4. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

I am taking him tomorrow morning I'm just so worried and that's why I though someone may have a clue

5. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for ur response I'm taking him tomorrow morning.It's just really stressing me out and makes me sad seeing him like this as he's usually very noisy and active

6. Sproglet

Is there any chance you could phone your vet tonight? Birds don't normally show any signs unless it's quite serious.

kimthecat likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Its very worrying for you . Its horrible when our pets are sick.
    I would make sure he is kept warm . leave the heating on for him . also be very careful about feeding water . just a few drops at a time is best .

ETA just seen Sproglets post . have you actually spoken to a vet this evening ?
    If you haven't then I would ring them and speak to them , tell them the symptoms .
    It would be better if you could see them tonight if they advise it .

Sproglet likes this.
  8. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

No chance of calling the vet tonight as I only have a landline number and their offices are closed.That is what makes me more worried because I've read they very good at hiding their sickness and in Rios case it's been visible

9. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

He refuses to drink water by himself so I've been feeding him every few hours but what I've noticed a few hours ago is when I give him water few seconds later he throws up..There's nothing in his system since he hasn't eaten all day so it's just water coming out..It's such a worry because our pets are our family

10. Sproglet

It's entirely up to you, but I would be phoning another vet that you can consult about this and not waiting until the morning. Keeping everything crossed for you.

kimthecat likes this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Are you in the Uk ? If you ring the landline number out of hours there should be an emergency number on the answer phone.
    About the water , how are you giving it to him ? Its best if you can use a syringe or eye dropper . if you give too much or too fast , they bring it up or it can get in their lungs .

12. Lish

Lish PetForums Newbie

Hey

Just wanted to inform u all I have taken Rio to the vet so sad he has a crop infection and a cold.They have given antibiotics that I need to put in his water and also porridge which I'm feeding him through a spoon since he pushes the syringe away.Hes doing much better making noise and talking again but not eating and drinking that much so the vet said if we can we should force feed him about 3 to 4 times a day

Calvine and Sproglet like this.
  13. Sproglet

Poor Rio. At least he's starting to get better. Thanks for updating:)

Lish likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice