Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pleasssssee help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by missyc, Jul 12, 2009.

1. missyc

missyc PetForums Junior

am still very much confused about the best dry food to give my little westie!!:confused:.

my vet recomended james welbeloved and i have been trying that but she doesnt seem to like the taste i have tried mixing it up a bit with a little wet food but nothing seems to be doing the trick she picks on her food and sometimes eats it but lately she has been off it! i always end up having to chuck them away as she doesnt seem to like it. i asked the breeder that i got her from ( she was recommended by the kennel club) and she said that she feeds her dogs pedigree chum complete and i was wondering what your take on that is?... should i try this for her as i gave her a bit from the one her breeder gave us to take away and she always eats that!
    I was just wondering if a recommended breeder feeds her dogs pedigree surely that must be a good brand as i saw her mum and grand mother when i got her at 8 weeks and they looked healthy!

Also as anyone heard about pro plan dry food?

am so confused please help me!.....as am thinking of trying something else from the james welbeloved to see if she responds to that better! thanks....

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

The breeder no doubt only feed her pup on pedigree because breeders can get deals when have litters!! ;)

I would try arden grangers..Im not a fan of pedigree chum myself!

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

avoid the pedigree.

jwb is a good food, but there is also burns or arden grange that are very good foods. definetly stick to a good quality hypoallergenic food for a westie as they do suffer from skin conditions.

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Try Arden Grange or Nature Diet if he doesn't like JWB. Stay away from Pedigree.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I would certainly not feed pedigree chum it a poor quality food, like bakers dogs for some reason seen to like the lesser brands a bit like humans junk food is for some nicer to eat.

I feed burns and wouldnt feed anything else not particulary because others arnt good but it is excellent quality and mine have done extremely well on it, i would definetly think about it having a westie as lots have skin conditions and burns is excellent for skin and coats. Ialso think that you have to persevere if you have a fussy dog no dog will starve itself so if you find a good quality food then dont give up when a dog realises nothing else is on offer then they will eat it.

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our 13 week old Bichon Pup is on Puppy/Junior Nature Diet wet food, and she absolutely loves it and is doing well on it. The vet weighed her again last week and she said she's putting weight on nicely. I think she was a bit underweight when we got her. Her poo's are nice and solid too so it must be suiting her.:D

7. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

All the dogs i know don't tend to like JWB too much either, the biscuits themselves look dull.
    We feed ours on hills science plan, which is one of the leading brands of dogs foods, and recommended by most vets. It is dear but you get good value for money :)

8. missyc

missyc PetForums Junior

Thanks guys for the quick responce am having a browse now and am leaning towards arden grange but was also looking at burns.....ermmmmmm! wish i can just get it right...lol!

9. Spudlover

Spudlover PetForums Member

I agree with the people before me, I would not give my dogs pedigree. You'll see why once you read the ingredient list. I feed them Burns, but heard that Arden Grange, JWB, and Orijen are really good as well. They do really good on the Burns, the vet even said that whatever we do to get such a fantastic coat, we should carry on.

Saying that, we do have a problem with our rescue dog trying to get him to put on weight. No matter what we feed him, he just stays skinny! Sometimes I even fry him pork chops!

10. missyc

missyc PetForums Junior

am terrible cant decide on which one to go for i have a 4months old westie and she is such a fussy eater our vets recomended james welbeloved but she doesnt seem to like it we always end up chucking it away so am leaning towards arden grange but i cant decide on that or burns.... silly me! looks like am fussy 2 lol!

11. Spudlover

Spudlover PetForums Member

Just try either, you can always change over if it doesn't work out!

12. missyc

missyc PetForums Junior

will do thanks for that!

13. missyc

missyc PetForums Junior

Thanks for the above advice :)

14. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

As the others have said pedigree chum is not good.

My dog doesn't like JWB either, so we switched her to Arden grange, which she was doing really well with and seemed to much prefer than the JWB and then one day turned her nose up :rolleyes:

now we mash it up with natures menu wet food (soon to switch this to nature diet cos of cost) and she eats it up just fine

blooming picky eaters!! LOL ;)

burns is also very good by all accounts, but does seem to be pricier than the arden grange which you can get really good deals on (try ebay)

15. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I had the same dilemma and I don't even get my puppy until next Saturday.

My breeder is also using Chum. I have bought some Nature Diet puppy and the pet shop gave me 4 sample packs of Arden Grange Puppy. I will make the changeover from Pedigree Chum Puppy over a few weeks and aim to eventually feed a mixture of Nature Diet (wet) and Arden Grange (dry).

Good luck.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice