Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please tune in to watch "Fat Pets, Fat Owners" on Sky Real Lives

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Callum, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Callum

Callum PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Just letting you all know about a great show to do with overweight pets and thier equally overweight owners. Please come and watch the World Premiere of Fat Pets, Fat Owners on Thursday 16th, Friday 17th and Saturday 18th July at 8.30pm only on Sky Real Lives, channel 243, also in HD.

Britain is facing an obesity epidemic – and we all know it, the government and health professionals are onto it in a big way.

But what many of us don’t know is that our household pets are getting fat as well: our dogs, cats and hamsters. In many cases not just fat - but huge, obese even. And given that pets are often said to resemble their owners it’s not surprising really, nor is it shocking to realise that the main obesity hotspots in the UK: the Midlands, the north-east and Wales – are also the worst places for pet obesity. The brutal truth is: fat pets are likely to have fat owners.

In this one-off documentary we meet three chubby owners and their three very fat pets. We follow their attempts to lose weight together. It’s not going to be an easy journey – there’s Grandmother Dorothy and her beloved dog Gizmo whose main love in life is white chocolate mousse. There’s William and his black Labrador Snoop, they love nothing better than to share a take away together, there’s Louise and her depressed cat Buddy, she admits they both comfort eat.

The six of them head off to meet the experts, the pets to the University of Liverpool’s Weight Management Clinic at the Small Animal Hospital, the owners to the University of Chester’s Centre for Exercise and Nutrition Science. We see them being weighed, given advice and put on diets. We see them all put through their paces: doggie swimming, cats on treadmills, low calorie pet food and advice from animal behavioural psychologists. And that’s just for the pets……..

Packed with facts and information this is a real eye opener to pet owners everywhere – and the overweight.

So make sure you tune in, its a really great bit of television.

Thanks
    Callum

2. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

I can't watch those things anymore. In my opinion it amounts to abuse letting your pet get really fat!

I detest the way some owners seem to think their animals are human in this respect - 'oh but he loooves chocolate mousse, biscuits, etc etc'

Yes, I'm sure we all do but when it comes to your pet (especially dogs) love doesn't equate to stuffing them full of the saturated fats, sugars etc of the human diet :cursing:

Sorry, ranting now but it really does upset me :mad:

3. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

What a great idea!!!!

Let's make a TV programme about people and their pets that get very little or no exercise at all and then promote it in order to get them to stay in and watch it which results in people not getting ercise because they are sat watching people getting no exercise on the TV.

Why not, now this may be a bit shocking and a bit of a radical experiment, get together with your TV programme buddies and all agree NOT to show any TV for a day, just one day. See what happens. No TV means that people might actually have to talk to one another, rediscover eachother, get to know their neighbours, go outside and discover the real world and generally become better people because they will be forced to focus on their own lives and deal with issues that TV programmes are actually trying to focus on.

So come on. One day without depressing news stories (unless you buy a paper - maybe stop those for a day too Mr Murdoch), one day without sickly presenters pretending to care, one day with out seeing some form of gratuatous violence and general drivel that gets shown and is the sole reason I stopped watching tv last year.

Take that idea to you bosses and see if you decide on making people's lives better by not providing any entertainment for them for just 24hrs.

Let me know how you get on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice